Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 17 and am going to uni in September of this year (either Durham or York), but I'm totally freaking out about it!

Right now my social life is pretty non-existent, I spend all my time on the internet or doing school work (I won't go into it all, but let's just say that if I had the choice my life wouldnt be like it is now). I'm really scared that when I go to uni, I won't make any friends and get on with people.

I guess one of the main reasons is that I don't drink alcohol. Right now, it seems to be that all people my age do for entertainment is go out and get completed plastered - I'm just not interested in that stuff!

Will I be able to settle in at uni and make friends without having to go and get drunk all the time? I'm stressing out about this so much

ReputationRep:
    Oh you sound just like me

Therefore as im exactly the same, there will probably be alot more like us and you will find people with the same interests. I suppose you will have to try your best to meet as many people as you can, so you have more chance of making friends.

I may be going to Durham aswell :woo:, although im deferring a year. But maybe i shall see you there :P haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same situation - I dont drink and I'm going to university this year. And my idea of a fun night is probably not like most people my age!..But i have friends who drink and they dont treat me any differently so why should uni be any different?..I'm sure you'll make friends and settle in because theres bound to be people who do not drink and the ones that do drink will still befriend you!

ReputationRep:
    Like me, I don't drink, and am going to uni next year. I don't think there is any reason to worry though.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone but you gets drunk for fun. Trust me. If you don't learn to love it, you will make no friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Everyone but you gets drunk for fun. Trust me. If you don't learn to love it, you will make no friends.
    Are you serious? Because if you are then you're wrong :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Are you serious? Because if you are then you're wrong :hmmm:
    Of course not. Since when did everyone like the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    just relaaaax it aint that bad ull learn to adapt its not like you have a choice right

i mean if worse comes to worse , ull have araaaabs to hang out with and those who are like religious and stuff so no big deal

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, getting drunk isn't the sole source of entertainment for most people surprisingly enough, there'll be lots of amicable people at university who will be in similiar positions to you, i'm sure you'll be fine social-wise. That and coincidentally enough i'll be attending York or Durham come September

ReputationRep:
    Drunk people need trustworthy sober friends :P

You don't have to go out and get drunk but you should definitely go out with the people you're living with etc.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is making me feel a lot better, thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    Of course it depends what kind of people you want to get to know. Don't get me wrong, but there are very few people that can be with the 'outgoing, social' cliques without drinking. I know of only one kid who pulls it off, but he is so hyperactive that his parents think he takes cocain in the mornings. Now you might be a wonderful person, but you don't sound like you're the kind to be supersocial. Very few people are like this, but they drink to 'make up for it'.
    You'll find plenty of people like you at university whom you can befriend. I'm just saying it won't be so easy with the 'popular' group.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    So, I'm 17 and am going to uni in September of this year (either Durham or York), but I'm totally freaking out about it!

Right now my social life is pretty non-existent, I spend all my time on the internet or doing school work (I won't go into it all, but let's just say that if I had the choice my life wouldnt be like it is now). I'm really scared that when I go to uni, I won't make any friends and get on with people.

I guess one of the main reasons is that I don't drink alcohol. Right now, it seems to be that all people my age do for entertainment is go out and get completed plastered - I'm just not interested in that stuff!

Will I be able to settle in at uni and make friends without having to go and get drunk all the time? I'm stressing out about this so much
    You sound so much like me. I don't drink either and sometimes all I hear about is how drunk everyone is going to get at uni. Universities have a large number of students and a huge variety of personality types. I'm sure you'll find some like minded people. So don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    i'm not freaking out about university as such.. i'm freaking out about getting into uni. .

ReputationRep:
    As long as you still go to the clubs you'll be fine. Even so, there'll always be people similar to you.

ReputationRep:
    i don't drink either, but that doesn't mean you can't go to parties and have fun. universities have loads of different minded people
    and neither durham or york are THAT wild as far as party unis/towns go. you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink for fun, nor do the majority of my friends. We go out and have fun, we also have other friends who do like to drink and go out with them too (sans drinking).
    It's all good.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like me! although I do enjoy some parties. anyway, the way i look at it is, hopefully in september ill be going to uni. Ive been working for this for nearly 7 years, why mess around now when my goal is so close? I always see my friends going out to clubs even though some are underaged, i watch them go out with their partners and do all these other social things. But i tend to just blank what my friends are doing and think whats best for myself and my life. I also agree that drinking is bascially what they look forward and so be it but to be honest. But you can have just as much fun without it. Then i say to myself uni will be a opportunity for me socialize as much as i want! social life in 6th form is nothing compared to what i here about uni. So don get bombed down! Just think Im going to achieve what i want, even if it means stopping in the house doing work and randomly search the internet. Good Luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah9000)
    i don't drink either, but that doesn't mean you can't go to parties and have fun. universities have loads of different minded people
    and neither durham or york are THAT wild as far as party unis/towns go. you'll be fine
    :rolleyes: That's one of the reasons I liked those two unis, I didn't apply to any 'big city' ones, I think I would have felt a bit lost!

Thanks for all the replies, guys

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same lol.
    I'm sure if there's that many like minded people on TSR,there'll be plenty when we actually go to uni

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.