Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am at university and intended to get much fitter, bigger and stronger as a New Years Resolution (more weights than endurance exercises). I have been using free weights in my room but I haven't seen any noticeable effect from them so I reckon the gym may be the way to go.

There are problems I have and questions I'd like to ask. Because I am at university and home for the year, I would need to join 2 gyms amirite? This could cost a lot but is it worth it? I hate lugging around weights and they dont work too well either.

How often would I need to go to the gym each week? I have quite a lot of free time so I'm thinking 3 or 4 times a week. Too much or too little?

How long will it take to notice the effects of going to the gym? Predominantly, I want to work on my arm, chest, shoulder and back muscles. Will it depend on my diet also?

Is it easy for a now 19 year old guy to put on muscle or should I wait a year or two until I begin training properly?

I wont ask for a training regime because there are plenty of those out there. Thats all I have to ask for now, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Starting strength is what you should look at, 3-4 times a week is perfect. Join the gym, and try to sort out your diet a bit too.

Uni gyms are all dirt cheap, so don't worry about the cost on that side - but try to find a cheap gym near home too.

ReputationRep:
    I am interested as well. All I can say is don't join clubs like David LLoyds, speaking from personal experience, they are not worth the hassle.

Find an independant gym to go to.

I was looking at a few gyms recently. I have car and can commute to the gym. I have found a gym in West Manchester, called Olympic gym,http://www.paulgeorge.org/olympicgym.htm, I was wondering if anyone who has been to that gym, give me a review please, what is it like? I don't know Manchester that well, I know it is Eccles, which is in Salford, is it rough or what?

I want a body like:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2riVzfbggO...wart-Shirtless[1].jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrooru)
    How often would I need to go to the gym each week? I have quite a lot of free time so I'm thinking 3 or 4 times a week. Too much or too little?

How long will it take to notice the effects of going to the gym? Predominantly, I want to work on my arm, chest, shoulder and back muscles. Will it depend on my diet also?

Is it easy for a now 19 year old guy to put on muscle or should I wait a year or two until I begin training properly?

I wont ask for a training regime because there are plenty of those out there. Thats all I have to ask for now, thanks for the help
    Yes it is worth you joining a Gym, it would also make sense to join another Gym in your holidays, some Gyms have short term contracts or you can even pay per visit. As you may not want to have your progress stunted by the long University summer break.

At 19, your probably in one the best situations you can be in, in terms of putting on muscle mass due a young persons hormonal profile. Starting now would be ideal! But of course diet is as important if not more important than training to adding muscle mass, as your body can simply not build muscle mass with out the resources to do so.

I see no mention of working legs, which would be a complete mistake not only because a huge upper body and stickman legs looks bad, but also due to the benefits that training legs would bring

ReputationRep:
    Yes was going to mention that, squat!

ReputationRep:
    I am at university and intended to get much fitter, bigger and stronger as a New Years Resolution (more weights than endurance exercises). I have been using free weights in my room but I haven't seen any noticeable effect from them so I reckon the gym may be the way to go.

There are problems I have and questions I'd like to ask. Because I am at university and home for the year, I would need to join 2 gyms amirite? This could cost a lot but is it worth it? I hate lugging around weights and they dont work too well either.

Knowledge is power, the more you know, the more places you go, the more you read, the more you know.

Sort out a training plan suited your daily life, aims, goals achievements
    exercises
    records
    resting time
    warm up
    cool down, etc etc

That'll be something to get you started. Course..joining the gym, if you are unsure how to use the facilities, ask a member of staff but i'm sure they all provide introductory lessons but if you still unsure ask.

Better to ask than break an arm/neck/leg.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a gonna before the 31st jan. Yup. The only question I have is, say in Men's health or other places you read workout plans and they involve things like pullups/other cable stuff - do all gyms have that? I'm not sure I've seen a pullup bar in the ones I've been to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I'm a gonna before the 31st jan. Yup. The only question I have is, say in Men's health or other places you read workout plans and they involve things like pullups/other cable stuff - do all gyms have that? I'm not sure I've seen a pullup bar in the ones I've been to
    Yes most of them do, and routines in mens fitness suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Yes and/or you can improvise (ie; doing pullups off of the top bar of the smith machine or cable crossover).

Secondly don't read MensHealth, MensFitness, etc - the training advice is crap.

ReputationRep:
    This could cost a lot but is it worth it?

yes, its time to man up

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.