Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling a bit crap about uni accommodation watch

Basically I'm meant to be living with some people in my second year year who I've become pretty good friends with this first term at uni, the only trouble is they're all much more mental than me, they like to go out almost every night and stay up till the morning, and living with them in halls I get woken up quite often, and I'm not sure how well it will work next year.

They're all really nice people, but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy living arrangements, it's already making me feel quite stressed with the constant noise at night when I'm trying to sleep. I suppose that's really by biggest problem, I don't have any problem with them being up, but loud music all night is really stressing me out.

I'm also doing a degree which requires a lot more work than the rest of them, and so I can't afford to go out all night every night and do nothing all day.

Does anyone have any advice? Most people have now sorted out their living arrangements, so going in with another group at this stage won't really be possible.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe discuss your worries with them, although they will probably just say "yeah of course, no problem" at this stage. It is possible they will calm down a bit in second year when they have a bit more work to do and rent payments and bills tax there money allowance a bit.

However it's never to late to find new housemates, there will be many people in simliar boats to you (looking for housemates, not neccesarily the same reasoning, but looking for hosuemates)

ReputationRep:
    People tend to calm down in second year when everything starts counting towards their degrees, and they should have less money to spend because of buying food (if catered at the moment), paying bills etc.

If it's the music that's keeping you up you need to just ask them to turn it down. Normally, no one will have a problem with this: it's when people are told to just shut up and not even speak or laugh that they will feel resentful and get a bit arsey.

If you really think it will be a problem, choose to speak to one of them, whoever you're closest too, and tell them your worries. If they don't think it can change then you might need to look into living with other people - they're normally loads of ads for one person to fill up gaps in larger houses when people leave for year abroads etc.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that they will quite down in the second year, id say too go with them as you can always take the music into account when looking for your house

ReputationRep:
    Go out 70% of the time, stay in 30%.

I thought this as well. I found a 3 bed place that I liked the look of and posted it on gumtree looking for flatmates. I've found 2 people that seem more like minded. I like going out once a week but dont want to do it every night. I have loooads of essays to write and I hate it when i'm trying to concentrate and people are playing music on full blast and screaming. I end up working on it til like 1 in the morning and when I finally get to bed I cant sleep anyway then end up laying in in the morning and then having to stay up kate again to get work done. I'm finding it really stressful.

Cheers for all the advice, I'm still not totally sure what to do though, the whole thing is stressing me out tbh. I also forgot to mention that a few of them have a liking for the occassional drug use, which isn't my scene. I can go out and have a good time with them when they're on stuff and I'm not, but not sure if it would work out being in such close surroundings with them.

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed on a house yet or are you still looking? I'd find new housemates if I were you. They might be a bit put out but it's worth it if your year will suck otherwise. It's definitely not too late; I ended up searching for new housemates in June last year and ended up moving in with two strangers who seemed to have a pretty similar work/party ratio to me and things have worked out great.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Agree. Tbh, don't just feel guilty for them or something - it will be really annoying for your friends if you constantly ask for them to be quiet, or not come in late etc. It'll be best for all if you find some other people.

I'd hate to have lived with someone who didn't like going out etc!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.