Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

worried my dad might have dementia watch

He sometimes forgets things not big things but it is worrying me as he is sixty. What are the syyptoms and usual age of demetia or alzhiemer's or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Dementia.html#3

I work in a retirement home which has a dementia unit, and as it says on the website, it can effect different people differently. Forgetting little things doesn't mean it's definitely dementia though, that can just come with getting older so you don't necessarily need to worry :]

ReputationRep:
    I would maybe seek medical advice
    remember you've got nothing to lose, and the earlier you catch it if it is something wrong, the easier it will be to treat it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help that much, but I can say I know how you're feeling. My gran has dementia and it is one of the worst things to see.

I would say though, that forgetting a few things isn't necessarily dementia. Have you spoken to him about it? Maybe suggest he sees his GP.

ReputationRep:
    Does it run in your family? My grandad has Alzheimer's and its at its worse its ever been - he cant even get changed, forgets who my grandma is - its one of the worst things to see , so helpless. But both my Grandads brother had contracted the disease at around 80, the same age he did. So it could be likely if it runs in the family.

ReputationRep:
    I think the average age of onset is usually after 70, although the early onset form occurs after 50. Symptoms can include progressive loss of memory (especially short term memory) and other cognitive functions. However, you should probably get him to seek medical advice before you worry too much - it could be just the natural decline in memory that occurs with age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javaflynn)
    Just think, it could be much worse and be cancer. That will help you deal with it.
    Wtf, have you ever experienced a family member having dementia? Its awful, heart breaking and horrible to go through. What an **** response. Idiot. Cancer and Dementia are both horrible things and having had family members go through both I couldn't say which one was worse. The only thing really is that with cancer there is always a percentage, no matter how small, of them getting better. With dementia there is no cure. Its horrible and after seeing my nan go through it for years and eventually dying of it I hope that I never get it and if I do, i'd rather die.

OP, dementia and alzheimers often occur in people over the age of 70+ and it is quite common for people to just forget little things. I know that I do. Forgetting things is a part of life and not just synonymous with dementia or alzheimers. From what I've experienced, it tends to affect the short term memory a lot more than the long term memory. Anyway, there is no one on here that will be able to tell you if your dad definately has it or not. Tbh, if his only symptom that you have noticed is that he forgets things now and then, I wouldn't worry too much. But you can always talk to a doctor about it. They do tests called mme or mmse or something which helps to diagnose it properly.

Anyway, if you need to talk or whatever give me a pm.

Well my uncle is dying of it but he is not related I suppose it is just memory loss associated with age. He often forgets to bring money when we go to the supermarket which isn't that weird I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    i think my dad does too, he's 64 and he's even said it himself. I'm terrified cos it must be so painful, like losing them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.