Turn on thread page Beta

Recommend some decent jazz watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike B)
    Indeed! By the way, I went to a Chick Corea & Gary Burton concert two years ago.
    I went to one in the summer, and they switched places in the encore, with Gary Burton playing the piano and Chick Corea playing the vibraphone! It was brilliant! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gonal)
    I went to one in the summer, and they switched places in the encore, with Gary Burton playing the piano and Chick Corea playing the vibraphone! It was brilliant! :yep:
    Cool! Hmm... I remember Chick trying to play Burton's vibraphone, but I don't remember Gary playing the piano. By the way, did they perform Spain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike B)
    Cool! Hmm... I remember Chick trying to play Burton's vibraphone, but I don't remember Gary playing the piano. By the way, did they perform Spain?
    I don't remember... But they probably did...

All I can remember about 'Spain' is Michel Camilo and Tomatito! They are great too! But I don't think it is the same Spain, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Thelonius Monk, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gonal)
    I don't remember... But they probably did...

All I can remember about 'Spain' is Michel Camilo and Tomatito! They are great too! But I don't think it is the same Spain, is it?
    It is the same Spain composed by Chick Corea. There are just many versions of it by different artists.

As for Michel Camilo and Tomatito I prefer their second album "Spain Again" where they perform some works by Astor Piazzolla.

ReputationRep:
    Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass and Pat Martino ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OG J0E)
    as a sax player I'll have to say Bird or Coltrane, Grover Washington etc.
    Don't forget Sonny Rollins.

As an aside from the sax, a bit of Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli's always great.

ReputationRep:
    Jeff Kashiwa "Simple Truth" album
    Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" album
    Queen Latifah also released a jazz album under her real name Dana - very good album

ReputationRep:
    Average White Band
    Buddy Rich's Big Band
    George Gerschwin
    Duke Ellington

ReputationRep:
    Django Reinhardt is an amazing jazz guitarist everyone should know about, he played solos with only two fingers because he injured the other two. Check him out.

Oh, and obviously Miles Davis.

ReputationRep:
    I'll add Joshua Redman while I'm at it because I've only just started listening to him. ******* good stuff.
    Spotify his 'Back East' album. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Art Tatum. In my opinion, one of THE greatest pianists ever.

ReputationRep:
    Natalie Cole, Aisha Du and Aaron Goldberg.

ReputationRep:
    Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Seven Days Of Falling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-9e_YgGtmE

This trio are by far my favorite jazz group.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8502621.stm :O

I saw him at the London Jazz festival in October, he didn't look well but damn he could still play!

ReputationRep:
    David Sanborn
    Candy Dulfer
    Chick Corea
    Paul Hardcastle
    Michael Brecker

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.