Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AdaD - from 'skinny ecto' to Greek God! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Bit of an update 5 weeks into the WS4SB routine, makes it much easier than trawlign through two pages of posts!

Weight - hmm, increased by 3-4 lbs - not a massive amount but it could be more, or less, as my scales aren't very consistent. At this stage weight isn't a massive issue.

Visually - a bit of extra body fat, that's about it. Can't really see an awful lot from a 3-4lb gain!

Deadlift from 75 to 87.5 - need to upload a vid to check my form, but fairly sure it's ok. Obviously not going to go heavier until I'm 100%

Squat 65 to 70 - frustrating because with only one heavy lower day, I try to alternate DL's and squats, so the gains are going to be minimal.

Bench 62.5 to 70

Others - noticeable improvements in other lifts such as RDL's, BB rows, chins etc.

Slow progress but I have to accept that with 2-3 x week football.

(Original post by AdaD)
    Bit of an update 5 weeks into the WS4SB routine, makes it much easier than trawlign through two pages of posts!

Weight - hmm, increased by 3-4 lbs - not a massive amount but it could be more, or less, as my scales aren't very consistent. At this stage weight isn't a massive issue.

Visually - a bit of extra body fat, that's about it. Can't really see an awful lot from a 3-4lb gain!

Deadlift from 75 to 87.5 - need to upload a vid to check my form, but fairly sure it's ok. Obviously not going to go heavier until I'm 100%

Squat 65 to 70 - frustrating because with only one heavy lower day, I try to alternate DL's and squats, so the gains are going to be minimal.

Bench 62.5 to 70

Others - noticeable improvements in other lifts such as RDL's, BB rows, chins etc.

Slow progress but I have to accept that with 2-3 x week football.
    Why don't you jump onto a linear progression program to get your weights up a bit? Alternating squats and deadlifts every week, you're not going to see gains very fast at all, if you're a beginner you should make the most out of adding weight every session / weekly

I wouldn't recommend someone do WS4SB if they are beginners, a little experience behind would be nice

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a beginner, have been going to the gym for a few years, over the past 12-15 months doing more, and realising the benefits of, compound exercises. The lack of gain in that time though has probably been due to the fact that I did more running, as opposed to more football, which I am now doing more of.

Which programme would you suggest? I chose WS4SB because I felt that, as good as SS is, squatting 3x a week wouldn't allow enough recovery time for 2-3 x football/week.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to strength training, a novice is defined by their recovery capabilities. If you can make progression every single session, you are a novice.

You are a novice, but you might be too afraid to eat and work hard enough to maintain linear progression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    With regards to strength training, a novice is defined by their recovery capabilities. If you can make progression every single session, you are a novice.
    Fair enough. I wasn't sure whether commandment meant 'beginner' in terms of being completely new to lifting weights, or in the way you described.

(Original post by SMed)
    You are a novice, but you might be too afraid to eat and work hard enough to maintain linear progression.
    Yeah, this may be the case as body fat is an issue (perhaps I need to get over this obsession). Perhaps I can work a bit harder, however I'm following the programme and am feeling that, at the end of each set, I can't do any more, so it's difficuly to gauge exactly how hard I am working.

I started my mate on a linear progression program, he has football matches twice a week, and training around that, and 5 aside football every so often - he has made excellent gains

I just think you would gain more in terms of strength from a different program

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    I started my mate on a linear progression program, he has football matches twice a week, and training around that, and 5 aside football every so often - he has made excellent gains

I just think you would gain more in terms of strength from a different program

I'm always open to suggestions from those in the know.

What sort of programme are you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    16/2/10 - Repetition upper

- BB bench (55-60% of 1RM) - 50 - 15, 55 - 14, 13, 13 - more than 55-60% but that would be about 45-47 which, frankly, feels far too light

- Chins - BW + 4kg - 8, 7, 7 - didn't quite make the 3*8 but I need to up things so I'm happy enough with this for now
    - Rear delt flys - 16kg - 10, 10, 10

- DB military press - 40kg - 4*8

- DB shrugs - 30kg*2 - 10, 10, 10
    - Hammer curls - 16kg - 8, 8, 7

- No time for DB holds as had football.

Inspired by Smed's comments, I was determined to work a bit harder and found that I had more in me than I thought!

ReputationRep:
    The 'lower body dynamic effort' day currently consists of:
    - Jump training
    - BUlgarian split squats
    - Romanian deadlifts
    - Ab work

As effective as WS4SB is, I'm not sure that I'm enough of an 'athlete' to be following it so precisely and am wondering whether it's worth mixing this up a bit to include back squats, therefore squatting on a Thursday and deadlifting on a Sunday. As I play football on Sunday's, what about squatting around 75-85% of my max to start with and see how I recover, and go from there? Maybe cut out the jump training (never anywhere to do it anyway) and split squats (do these on Sunday as well). I'm happy with the two upper body days as they're steadily improving, so perhaps it's just a small tweak needed.

Any thoughts?

(Original post by AdaD)
    I'm always open to suggestions from those in the know.

What sort of programme are you thinking?
    anything where you're adding weight regularly, and sticking mainly to the big lifts and nothing else, 5x5 for example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    anything where you're adding weight regularly, and sticking mainly to the big lifts and nothing else, 5x5 for example
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

This?

Yep, that would do nicely, there's a lot of 5x5 variations out there, and they're all great - find one you like the look of - I think you should run a cycle, you'll get good strength gains, then afterwards you could go back to westside for skinnys

ReputationRep:
    What is your 5rm for squats? If it is 1 - 1.5 BW it's gonna be difficult to squat 5x5 three days a week.

And the whole squatting / deadlifting once a week is why i don't like ws4sb :nup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    What is your 5rm for squats? If it is 1 - 1.5 BW it's gonna be difficult to squat 5x5 three days a week.
    I haven't tested it, but I think it's about 65 at the moment. I'm 76kg.

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    And the whole squatting / deadlifting once a week is why i don't like ws4sb :nup:
    Yah, I agree. I like the programme but I don't feel that doing standard DL's or squats once a week is enough.

ReputationRep:
    No one progresses well on Stronglifts and they all end up going on SS and blasting past their sticking points.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AdaD)
    I haven't tested it, but I think it's about 65 at the moment. I'm 76kg.

Yah, I agree. I like the programme but I don't feel that doing standard DL's or squats once a week is enough.
    Try out a full body routine then, like a 5x5 (but NOT 'Stronglifts').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Try out a full body routine then, like a 5x5 (but NOT 'Stronglifts').
    You see, this is where I'm in need of advice because, at first glance, I thought Stronglifts looked ok.

I've had a look through some. Any particular routine that you think would be a good place to start?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Madcows is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    You see, this is where I'm in need of advice because, at first glance, I thought Stronglifts looked ok.

I've had a look through some. Any particular routine that you think would be a good place to start?
    Stronglifts is ok for a complete beginner (5x5 of the same weight is a good idea but sounds bloody brutal). But, it's a complete rip off from ss and there's stupid bits like "inverted rows" and press ups till failure - WAT?

madcows is good...smash pbs after week 4 .

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, will check out MAdcow's.

Excuse my ignorance, but if I'm going to move away from WS4SB, why would I choose 5x5 over SS?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.