Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Did you have them on a totally flat hard surface?
    Yup, always on the same flat, hard surface.

I can accept a 2-3lb swing, but when it's 6-10 from 2 or 3 readings, I'm starting to ignore what the scales say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    Yah, definitely consuming too much of of the ****. Protein is around 100-120g a day, maybe more as I have probably under estimated from foods like oats etc.

What are your thoughts on excess sugar and bf increases? Done a google search but would rather get a basic explanation from someone in the know!
    Sugar causes an insulin spike. Insulin is forces fat cells to grow (bad). It prevents fat from being used as an energy source (bad).

These effects can be used in a beneficial way, when used at the appropriate times. This is part of the reasoning behind having sugar after training. Also, bodybuilders use insulin when bulking in the off season, but they also use other drugs to counter the negative effects.

Either way, sugar is not something you want to be over eating. You can over eat protein and fat, and in the absence of sugar, the effects aren't too bad. But do that with loads of insulin floating around and it can be problematic. But everyone is different. You need to see what works for you. If you're getting too flabby, cut out the sugar, and dial down the carbs a little and see how you look, feel and perform after a month.

ReputationRep:
    Also, just came across this today:

Protein is the only macronutrient that actually creates new tissue (muscle), and EFA's (Essential fatty acids) are necessary for the healthy production of the sex hormones. Those are the two macros really needed for growth to occur. Carbohydrates and their effect on insulin simply make things more efficient, and actually make you need less of the other two to achieve the same effect.
    But you need to play with how carbs and see what works for you. You do not need any carbs in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Sugar causes an insulin spike. Insulin is forces fat cells to grow (bad). It prevents fat from being used as an energy source (bad).

These effects can be used in a beneficial way, when used at the appropriate times. This is part of the reasoning behind having sugar after training. Also, bodybuilders use insulin when bulking in the off season, but they also use other drugs to counter the negative effects.

Either way, sugar is not something you want to be over eating. You can over eat protein and fat, and in the absence of sugar, the effects aren't too bad. But do that with loads of insulin floating around and it can be problematic. But everyone is different. You need to see what works for you. If you're getting too flabby, cut out the sugar, and dial down the carbs a little and see how you look, feel and perform after a month.
    (Original post by SMed)
    Also, just came across this today:

Protein is the only macronutrient that actually creates new tissue (muscle), and EFA's (Essential fatty acids) are necessary for the healthy production of the sex hormones. Those are the two macros really needed for growth to occur. Carbohydrates and their effect on insulin simply make things more efficient, and actually make you need less of the other two to achieve the same effect.

But you need to play with how carbs and see what works for you. You do not need any carbs in the evening.
    Thanks, interesting stuff.

In light of that, I think I'll give the copius amounts of evening cereal a miss, and scale back the unneccessary shiz from my diet!

ReputationRep:
    A few video's. Thoughts on form would be appreciated. Not particularly heavy, but close to my maxes at the mo.

DL 70k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELgKdoEjJzQ

DL 80k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdwatNU4XOY

OH press 40k (think my form is ****) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEr1-PY_MXw

Squat 60k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqs0UtNph20

ReputationRep:
    On the deadlift you need to get the bar over the middle of your foot. Right now it's over your toes. This is making you stay hunched over, forward of the bar; you're not getting as much power from that position. Step up to the bar, get it over the middle of your foot; this should put the bar about 1" from your shins. It will seem close, but this is fine. Then bend your legs until they touch the bar, but don't roll it forward. Now reach down, grab the bar and set/extend your back hard. Your scapula (not shoulders) should be directly over the bar). Your hips will be higher than in the videos you've posted; this is fine.

When you lift, drag the bar up your legs; it should never leave contact with your legs.

The press looked okay. Try to keep the bar closer to your centre of gravity. ie don't let it get out in front of you.

Squat looks okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    A few video's. Thoughts on form would be appreciated. Not particularly heavy, but close to my maxes at the mo.

DL 70k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELgKdoEjJzQ

DL 80k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdwatNU4XOY

OH press 40k (think my form is ****) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEr1-PY_MXw

Squat 60k - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqs0UtNph20
    Judging by bar speed on squats and deads, they're nowhere near you maxes. Just keep what you're doing and they'll shoot up.

ReputationRep:
    16/3/10 - max upper

weighted chins - BW -11, 10, +3kg - 7
    +4kg -6,6, +6kg-6, +8kg-5,3

incline db no - 40kg -15,16

bb row - 40kg - 3*8 SS with
    rdf's - 20kg - 8,7,7

db shrugs - 28kg-13, 30kg-12,12, 32kg - 10

bb curls - 25kg - 12, 30kg- 3*10

Lower back fkg killing, particularly after bb rows. Argh

ReputationRep:
    Back in the game after the silliness of a broken toe and fingers!

Back on WS4SB next week and am going to man the feg up and get the weights up, been coasting a little I think!

Random compound session today.

BB Bench - 50 - 2 *10, 55 - 2 * 8, 60 - 2 * 6
    Deadlift - 60 - 10, 70 - 8, 8, 75 - 8, 80 - 6, 85 - 5
    Decline bench - 55 - 10, 60 - 3*8
    Bulg split squat - 16kg - 3*8
    Seated DB press - 40kg - 3 *8
    Incline DB press - 40kg - 3*10
    Hammer curls - 14kg - 3*8

Still a bit restricted by the broken pinky, but all good apart from that.

ReputationRep:
    Max upper - 18/4/10

BB Bench - 50-10, 55-8, 57.5-6, 60-5,4

Incline DB bench - 18's - 2*14

BB Rows - 40kg - 40*8, RDF's - 16's - 4*8

BB Shrugs - 70kg - 13, 80 - 12, 90 - 8, 8

EZ curls - Bar + 17.5 - 4*10

Month off WS4SB (various injuries) so all quite low. Felt refreshed and will be looking to ramp up the weights from now on.

Football only once a week now so me thinks I'll be doing two ME lower days :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Repetition upper - 22/4/10

Incline DB press - 18's - 13, 20's - 10, 10, 9

Chins - +4kg - 8, +6kg - 8, +8kg - 7, 7
    RDF's - 8's - 10, 10, 8, 6

Seated DB press - 18's - 10, 20's - 8, 8, 6

DB shrugs - 28's - 10, 9, 9
    No curls - no time. Not to worry!

Ugh, getting back into it. I apologise for this **** blog, but I'm mainly keeping it for my own reference and to get advice, when my lifts go up/routine changes etc.

Still considering madcows, but I do enjoy WS4SB. Hmm. Things like rear delt flyes are fine but I don't feel that I'm strong or big enough to warrant spending time on such exercises. Hmm. And no, I'm not thinking of SS!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Rear delt exercises can help keep the shoulders healthy, particularly if you do a lot of benching - as you do on a Westside style programme, since Americans really like to bench. This isn't so much of a concern on programmes with a more evenly balanced ratio of benching to overhead work.

It's not so much that you're not strong or big enough to have earned the right to do such exercises - and in truth doing them at the right intensities is probably better than not doing them at all - but that your primary focus should be on getting stronger on the main lifts, and many newbies read too much bodybuilding magazines and allow the fluff to overtake the important stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Are you kidding me? There's barely any fat on you in the second pic.

I'd say there's a noticable difference but not a very big one. If I'm honest, I would want a lot more out of a 6 month bulk myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Are you kidding me? There's barely any fat on you in the second pic.

I'd say there's a noticable difference but not a very big one. If I'm honest, I would want a lot more out of a 6 month bulk myself.
    I suppose, but it's not technically been a 6 month bulk. Started westside in January and until the end of March was playing footy 3 times a week, so I don't know why I'm surprised about the lack of serious bulkage.

Just frustrating as I've made the effort to eat more and train harder. However, I was warned on here that gains would be slower with the football etc.

ReputationRep:
    27/4/10 - ME Upper

Decline BB BP - 50-12, 55-10 60-8, 8 65-6 67.5-4

Incline DB BP - 20's - 14, 15, 15

BB rows - 40kg - 8, 45 - 8, 8
    RDF's - 8's -10, 10's - 8, 7

DB shrugs - 30's - 12, 32's - 9, 34's - 8

BB curls - 25 - 10, 30 - 8, 7

ReputationRep:
    ME Lower - 28/4/10

Deadlifts - 60 - 10, 70 - 8, 75 - 7, 80 - 6, 85 - 6, 90 - 5, 95 - 4 PB

Bulg split squats - 16's - 3*8

Romanian deadlifts - 50kg - 9, 52.5kg - 8, 55kg - 8

Abs

Deadlift good. Could have gone higher but had a striking pain in my leg (unrelated). 2 ME lowers a week for now so want to get squat up too.

ReputationRep:
    30/4/10 - rep upper

Flat DB BP - 20's - 15, 15, 14, 13

Chins - bw + 6 - 10, +8 - 8, 7
    RDF's - 8's - 10, 8, 8

Seated DB press - 20's - 4*8

DB shrugs - 30's - 10, 9, 9
    hammer curls - 14's - 10, 16's - 8, 7

BB holds - 25kg - 3*40s

Extras for my weedy arms - close grip BP & preacher curls

Not liking the lack of barbell-age in there, but good session. Actually pushing myself a bit harder now. When the weights go up, I'll be mixing up the exercise.

Now the footy season is over I'm just playing one 5 a side match a week (30-40 mins). As my aim is to stay as lean as possible, do you think it'd be worth doing a couple of 20 min HIIT runs as well? Don't want to overdo it, but don't want to lose my fitness either.

ReputationRep:
    Want to stay lean? Eat cleanly.

Want to keep your fitness? Hiit will be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Want to stay lean? Eat cleanly.

Want to keep your fitness? Hiit will be beneficial.
    Yeah, I know. Was just concerned about doing too
    much and jeopordising muscle mass increase

ReputationRep:
    it won't if your diet's in check

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.