ReputationRep:
    1/5/10 - ME upper

BB BP - max effort 67.5 - 3 PB

Chins - bw+4kg - 12, +6kg - 9

DB rows - 26's - 9, 28's - 8, 30's - 8, 7
    RDF's - 10's - 9, 8, 8

DB shrugs - 25's - 14, 14, 30's 8, 8

EZ curls - bar + 20 - 10, +22.5 - 8,7,8

Few romanian deadlifts and lat pulldowns too, 'cos I felt like it.

Good session, upping my weights now. A little concerned that my chest is going to develop much more quickly than my shoulders. There seems to be very little shoulder work in there (though I won't argue for now as Joe knows more than me). May add in some OH presses, on bench off days, for good measure.

ReputationRep:
    ME upper - 8/5/10

Weighted chins - +6kg - 10, +8kg - 9, 8, +10kg - 7, 6, +12kg - 5, 5

Inc DB BP - 20's - 16, 15

DB rows - 26's - 9, 8, 28's - 8, 7
    RDF's - 8's - 10, 10's - 8, 8, 7

DB shrugs - 28's - 11, 11, 30's 9, 9

BB curls - 30kg - 4*8

Did some squats at the beginning, oh how that was a mistake. Trying to DB rows, my standing leg was trembling! All good though!

Starting to feel stronger (relatively speaking!) and lifts are starting to increase again. Slow progress but that's the price I pay for wanting to stay lean!

ReputationRep:
    needs more test prop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USHER345)
    needs more test prop
    kthnx

ReputationRep:
    14/5/10-ME lower

Deadlift - max 3-5 - 92.5kg- 4 - wanted to get a bit closer to 3 figures but felt too fatigued

split squats - 16's - 7,7,6 - not so good, doms from thur still present!

RDL's - 60-8, 65-7, 70-6

Abs - couldn't be bothered, did some upper body sb work instead.,

All good, feeling stronger.

ReputationRep:
    27/5/10 ME Lower (ish)

Deadlift - didn't do max for 3-5, but worked up to 97.5 for 1*8. Pretty happy with that.

Split squats - 3*7 holding 18's - PB (nothing to shout about, but it's moving up and I haven't done them for a few weeks)

RDL's - 70kg - 3*8

Leg presses - some weight, cannae remember how much.

No time for abs, not concerned as ab work bores me immensely.

Used straps for the 97.5 deadlift and it felt much better than 95kg strapless. Now, I know that I should probably work on my grip strength but I'm still pulling the weight, even if it is aided by straps, right? Not clued up on the science of it, as most of you are, but am going to trial and error it for now.

Bit of a gap between my squat and deadlift - 1*8 65kg v 97.5kg. Squat may be a little better than that - I may be holding back a bit. I admit I do prefer deadlifting but am making a conscious effort to balance them out a bit more.

Had a few weeks away from westside as was getting bored with routine all the time. Only problem with this is the unstructured nature of the workouts.

12st 2 now.Finally starting to come to terms with the fact that I need to gain weight to bulk up! When you've been very lean for 26 years, it's hard to let go of. Ha, that sounds uber homo. Don't think much of the gain is fat (save for a lb or 2 maybe, all accumulated in the same place - fcuking frustrating), started using creatine so 1-2lbs of it may be water.

ReputationRep:
    if you're not already, use chalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    if you're not already, use chalk
    Yeah, I'll look into getting some. Ordered some creatine and protein from myprotein today so thought I'd whack some straps onto the order anyway, £3.50 isn't a fortune.

Would feel like a bit of a douche, though, rocking up with chalk with my 11.5-12" arms, in my posers gym!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    Yeah, I'll look into getting some. Ordered some creatine and protein from myprotein today so thought I'd whack some straps onto the order anyway, £3.50 isn't a fortune.

Would feel like a bit of a douche, though, rocking up with chalk with my 11.5-12" arms, in my posers gym!
    i get my liquid chalk from myprotein, its great stuff.

Also, my arms arent particularly big, theyre only 12.5", ill feel better if i reach my deadlift goal by december though [i want four plates for 5, 3 would do though]

EDIT, how tall are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    i get my liquid chalk from myprotein, its great stuff.

Also, my arms arent particularly big, theyre only 12.5", ill feel better if i reach my deadlift goal by december though [i want four plates for 5, 3 would do though]

EDIT, how tall are you?
    Cool, will get some with my next protein order to avoid wasting money on delivery. Straps will do for a month.

6ft 2.

What's your DL at now?

May have to test my my 3 * 5-8 max soon, just out of interest. It must be around the 100kg mark. 97.5 was tough, but there was some left in the tank. Obv got to watch the form as the weight increases.

I'm always a bit paranoid about the amount of rest days between squatting and DL'ing, and vice versa. I'm prob over analysing considering SS has one squatting 3x week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    Cool, will get some with my next protein order to avoid wasting money on delivery. Straps will do for a month.

6ft 2.

What's your DL at now?

May have to test my my 3 * 5-8 max soon, just out of interest. It must be around the 100kg mark. 97.5 was tough, but there was some left in the tank. Obv got to watch the form as the weight increases.

I'm always a bit paranoid about the amount of rest days between squatting and DL'ing, and vice versa. I'm prob over analysing considering SS has one squatting 3x week.
    Currently just 125kg for 3, ill get 130 for 2 or 3 next monday though hopefully, as soon as my bulk can kick in i anticipate more rapid progress.

Possibly overanalysing, i guess that the only way to find out is to try. Ive well and truly screwed around with WS4SB's lower days, atm im trying out:

Spoiler:
    Show

ME A

Conventional Deadlift, max 3 or 5
    High Bar Back Squat, 4x 6-8
    +assistance excercises

ME B

Low Bar Back Squat, max 3 or 5
    Sumo Deadift, 4x 6-8
    +assistance excercises

Just finished my first week of it, only time will tell for progress, but i definitely enjoyed it more.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't use straps for deadlifting, especially at 100kg. That's faaaaaaaar more embarrassing than using chalk, no matter what size your arms are.

Also if you need to improve your grip, try static barbell holds and farmers walks with dumbbells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Yeah, don't use straps for deadlifting, especially at 100kg. That's faaaaaaaar more embarrassing than using chalk, no matter what size your arms are.

Also if you need to improve your grip, try static barbell holds and farmers walks with dumbbells.
    Ok, it may be embarrassing for someone with a 180kg deadlift but isn't it all relative? I'm not as strong as that person, and my grip is nowhere near as good. I will do more grip work but why should my deadlift stall until it improves through other means?

I got up to 102.5kg tonight, without the straps it was slipping out of my hands at 2.5 reps, and I had to stop, whereas with the straps I got a couple of sets of 5 and 6 out of it.

Admiteddly, I am self conscious but, to be frank, I go to the gym to improve my strength and my body overall, not to show how much I can deadlift without straps.

ReputationRep:
    Scoop some dust off the top of the gym equipment/rack onto your hands before you deadlift. At least until you get chalk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Scoop some dust off the top of the gym equipment/rack onto your hands before you deadlift. At least until you get chalk.
    Is that more effective than straps, or just doesn't 'look as embarrassing'.

If it's the former, I'll give it a go. If it's the latter, I couldn't give a flying fudge what other people, whom I do not know anyway, think about me using straps.

ReputationRep:
    Or use straps, don't really give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Or use straps, don't really give a ****.
    Lul. I know you don't, and I don't expect anyone to.

I merely asked whether straps are good/bad (effectiveness, not aesthetically) in the opinion of more knowledgable people than myself.

ReputationRep:
    6//6/10 - ME upper

BB Bench - 67.5kg - 4 - lower than max of 70 but was tired and a bit hungover!

DB bench - 24kg - 12, 12

DB rows - 30kg - 4*8 SS with:
    RDF's - 10's - 8, 8, 8, 7

DB shrugs - 28's - 4*12

EZ curls - bar + 22.5 - 4*8, 7

Deadlifts - worked up to 105kg for 5

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I dislike posting photos but meh.

Improvement or fat fcuked myself?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Definitely an improvement.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.