Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leader of the Labour Party: Your Opinion watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be the Leader of the Labour Party?
    Gordon Brown
    28.99%
    David Miliband
    31.88%
    Alistair Darling
    0%
    Harriet Harman
    10.14%
    Lord Mandelson
    15.94%
    Jack Straw
    4.35%
    Alan Johnson
    8.70%
    Other (please comment)
    17.39%

Who should be the Leader of the Labour Party, either now or after the General Election 2010 (assuming Labour loses the election).

Please vote and comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abucha3)
    Who should be the Leader of the Labour Party, either now or after the General Election 2010 (assuming Labour loses the election).

Please vote and comment.
    Tony Benn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Tony Benn!
    A man who gets his moral principles from the Bible?

No thanks, I think we've had enough of those morons.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I don't think that Labour will lose the next election, and secondly I think Brown should remain leader.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown.

Why are you interested anyway if you support conservatives? I dont make topics saying Who should be conservative leader because it does not effect me.

Sorry if I sound like a **** but there are so many of these topics.

(Original post by JakeM)
    Gordon Brown.

Why are you interested anyway if you support conservatives? I dont make topics saying Who should be conservative leader because it does not effect me.

Sorry if I sound like a **** but there are so many of these topics.
    I am a Conservative. However, it is important to be aware of other parties as this does effect me and my party.

(Original post by lollapalooza)
    Firstly, I don't think that Labour will lose the next election, and secondly I think Brown should remain leader.
    Wow you must be dreaming lol

ReputationRep:
    If I was being party-political then I would want the most incompetent. Honestly, from that list, that's a tough choice.

If I wanted a proper debate between parties on sensible arguments, then the only option for Labour leader would be Frank Field. What a shame that would never, ever happen.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Conservative. However, it is important to be aware of other parties as this does effect me and my party.
    Scared of competition?

ReputationRep:
    Dear God, not Darth Mandelson!

Of the listed options, Alan Johnson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    A man who gets his moral principles from the Bible?

No thanks, I think we've had enough of those morons.
    Just like Keir Hardie without whom there would be no independent labour party to speak of? Just like Clement Attlee who is considered the greatest Labour Prime Minister of all...? Taking moral principles out of a series of books which talk about redistribution, concern for one's fellow human beings, and has a parable that it is harder for a rich man to enter heaven than ride through the eye of a needle on a donkey. Whilst religious fundamentalism is dangerous; drawing inspiration from those sorts of lessons is hardly at odds with the aims of the Labour movement.

ReputationRep:
    Mandelson has more political talent in his little finger than the rest of them, but theres no way in hell the party would ever elect him, nor the British people elect him. So probably David Miliband.

(Original post by JakeM)
    Scared of competition?
    Well if Gordon Brown stays as Leader then the competition is already over and in the Conservatives favour. I think David Miliband would be a good leader and would compete with the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you must be dreaming lol
    Nope, look at all the nagative press the Tories are starting to receive, and it will only worsen as more of their barbaric policies are exposed. Sorry to disappoint you.

ReputationRep:
    Keira Knightley tbh

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd settle for D Miliband

I wonder if anyone seriously votes Harriet Harman :P

ReputationRep:
    and why have you put Lord Mandelson as a option.

He is not a member of parliament so could not become Prime Minister at this time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Just like Keir Hardie without whom there would be no independent labour party to speak of? Just like Clement Attlee who is considered the greatest Labour Prime Minister of all...? Taking moral principles out of a series of books which talk about redistribution, concern for one's fellow human beings, and has a parable that it is harder for a rich man to enter heaven than ride through the eye of a needle on a donkey. Whilst religious fundamentalism is dangerous; drawing inspiration from those sorts of lessons is hardly at odds with the aims of the Labour movement.
    And if he wants, he can also use it to justify war, genocide, oppression of women and homosexuals, persecution of non-Christians and the murder of those who have sex outside of marriage.

Religiously informed leaders can go either way, and because their moral code is bound with their interpretation of the Bible, there's no way to know for sure that their decisions will reflect those of an independently moral person.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, look at all the nagative press the Tories are starting to receive, and it will only worsen as more of their barbaric policies are exposed. Sorry to disappoint you.
    I doubt it; Brown will have single-handedly pissed off a lot of working-class labour voters today by claiming that we should all aspire to be middle class. That's not what Labour's core vote want or need; they want good schools, hospitals, effective local government, and access to jobs and public transport that is cheap and efficient. None of that points to aspiring to being middle class. I'm quite an angry Labour member at the moment.

Conservatives - 41%
    Labour - 28%

12th January 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8280050.stm

I am far from disappointed

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.