Turn on thread page Beta

Leader of the Labour Party: Your Opinion watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be the Leader of the Labour Party?
    Gordon Brown
    28.99%
    David Miliband
    31.88%
    Alistair Darling
    0%
    Harriet Harman
    10.14%
    Lord Mandelson
    15.94%
    Jack Straw
    4.35%
    Alan Johnson
    8.70%
    Other (please comment)
    17.39%

ReputationRep:
    uh none of the above, they are a bunch of empty-worded douche bags

except maybe Brown

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown.
    He's more intelligent than the public give him credit for.
    I don't think Cameron will do any better than Brown has done if the **** hits the fan like it has done recently for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    I doubt it; Brown will have single-handedly pissed off a lot of working-class labour voters today by claiming that we should all aspire to be middle class. That's not what Labour's core vote want or need; they want good schools, hospitals, effective local government, and access to jobs and public transport that is cheap and efficient. None of that points to aspiring to being middle class. I'm quite an angry Labour member at the moment.
    That and the fact that he's introduced barely any policies of note, aside from the economic issues I fail to see anything that has really been achieved in his nearly three years in power. At least Blair had ideas and pushed through a good deal of them, Brown hasn't even had an idea, besides his lame 'Britishness' idea.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it; Brown will have single-handedly pissed off a lot of working-class labour voters today by claiming that we should all aspire to be middle class. That's not what Labour's core vote want or need; they want good schools, hospitals, effective local government, and access to jobs and public transport that is cheap and efficient. None of that points to aspiring to being middle class. I'm quite an angry Labour member at the moment.
    So effectively you are saying that we shouldn't aspire to better ourselves?

ReputationRep:
    David Miliband, Harriet Harman or Peter Mandelson. The only reason I like David Miliband is because he's pretty though. I'm not sure I'd actually want him as the leader.

Despite our political differences, I think we can both agree on this point.

Working class vote for Labour
    Upper class vote Conservative
    Middle Class sway both ways

I think Mr Brown is trying to secure more of the undeciders (middle class) but seems to be failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    And if he wants, he can also use it to justify war, genocide, oppression of women and homosexuals, persecution of non-Christians and the murder of those who have sex outside of marriage.
    Well that's where being fundamentaly atheist is flawed as well. I'm sure I could draw moral inspiration from Lenin's "what is to be done?" and use it to justify all of those things as well but I doubt that would ever happen. I think you need to see beyond the religious animosity of fundamentalism and realise that certain aspects (and I mean only certain aspects) of, often nonconformist, religious morality has informed the Labour movement and the Labour Party from its foundation and to criticise Tony Benn only on the grounds of his use of the bible as a source of moral faith is inherently flawed.

Religiously informed leaders can go either way, and because their moral code is bound with their interpretation of the Bible, there's no way to know for sure that their decisions will reflect those of an independently moral person.
    And yet you denounced him simply of the grounds of some religious conviction. I'd hardly say that was in keeping with this double-potential is it. Being atheist is a matter of choice as to where we place our faith, the same as religion and very often aspects of religious morality bisect those of humanist morality and is it really fair to do as you did in your opening post which is to denounce someone simply on the grounds that it came from the former instead of the latter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    David Miliband, Harriet Harman or Peter Mandelson. The only reason I like David Miliband is because he's pretty though. I'm not sure I'd actually want him as the leader.

Have you heard some of the stuff that Diane Abbott says about Miliband?

and :eek: about the names you have written, especially Harman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abucha3)
    Conservatives - 41%
    Labour - 28%

12th January 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8280050.stm

I am far from disappointed
    Do opinion polls really matter though? Kinnock was 20 points ahead of the Tories back in the day and look at who went on to win.

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband, cos he's one of the few members of govt who seems like a decent, humble guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    So effectively you are saying that we shouldn't aspire to better ourselves?
    No, that isn't what I'm saying at all and to adopt the persecution complex doesn't actually help. I'm saying that insisting that to be middle class is the only aspiration is wrong; I think it's entirely possible to be working class and remain so for your entire life but aspire to do things which don't contradict that. I say that coming from a working-class background. Aspiring to all be middle class means aspiring to conformity and what use is that?

Harriet Harman?? :eek:

Why?

ReputationRep:
    I think Milliband is probably the most natural replacement for Brown (if he's learned from his mistakes, and stops declaring interest in the post). That said, Johnson was touted at one point, so I wouldn't see that as completely left field.

Either way, it's a poison chalice. It'll hold off until Brown loses the election, and then Labour'll get someone new in to play the hero and claim a fresh start.

ReputationRep:
    Mandelson is the best, but the Labour Party would be absolutely destroyed if he became leader any time soon. Really shows the difference between democracy and meritocracy, eh? As for the rest, well, probably Miliband, but only because he looks semi-respectable in a suit: he's as useless as the rest.

Nope, look at all the nagative press the Tories are starting to receive, and it will only worsen as more of their barbaric policies are exposed. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Unfortunately for your rather odd position, swing voters are not partisan lunatics who would describe a mainstream British political party's policies as 'barbaric'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Dear God, not Darth Mandelson!

Of the listed options, Alan Johnson.
    That's just what came to my mind :p:

It would be so humourous if the dark lord did win a bid for the leadership :rolleyes:

Do opinion polls really matter though? Kinnock was 20 points ahead of the Tories back in the day and look at who went on to win.
    "Back in the Day?"

Opinion polls are more accurate now. That website shows the opinion polls since the 80s. Since Blair has been in power, the opinion polls tend to be fairly accurate.

Back to your earlier question, I am far from disappointed, especially after looking at that poll :yes:

ReputationRep:
    he's probably the most right-wing public face of the labour party. I'm surprised you would like to see the continuation of the New Labour project.

ReputationRep:
    Harriet Harman?? :eek:

Why?
    Perhaps he's leaving the country and won't feel the effects of a Harman Govt? :P

Personally, I think Gordon Brown may aswell stay leader of the Labour Party. It's not generally been his fault for the problems that he's been laid with afaik so a lot of the flack he gets is undeserved imo.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a massive mistake for the Labour Party to change their leader before the election. Although the big G has become a bit of a hate figure recently I remain adament that he is currently the best thing for the party. Consistency within the Labour Party is what is required for them to have a hope in hell come the next election, and consistency this can only be acheived under Gordon Brown.

It was incredibly stupid for Hewitt and Hoon to try to oust him from the Premiership at this point in time - just as the opinion polls are narrowing and people are beginning to question the Conservatives (ov er Zac Goldsmith etc.) I think if GB were replaced a general election would have to be held sooner rather than later given the light people saw the transition between Brown and Blair in.

Whilst Gordon Brown may not be the best thing for the Labour Party in the long term, I think that he should only really be forced to go if Labour lose the election/are not asked to form a minority gov. with the liberals.

ReputationRep:
    I think Mr Brown is trying to secure more of the undeciders (middle class) but seems to be failing.
    He is but what happens when his core voters stay at home on polling day to the extent that even seats such as my own in the heart of the South Wales valleys, the seat of Keir Hardie, falls to Plaid Cymru. That is looking increasingly possible from where I'm sat because of all this New Labour rubbish. New Labour was a moment in time and at this rate it'll be 1983 all over again.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.