Turn on thread page Beta

Leader of the Labour Party: Your Opinion watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be the Leader of the Labour Party?
    Gordon Brown
    28.99%
    David Miliband
    31.88%
    Alistair Darling
    0%
    Harriet Harman
    10.14%
    Lord Mandelson
    15.94%
    Jack Straw
    4.35%
    Alan Johnson
    8.70%
    Other (please comment)
    17.39%

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world, the main parties would actually stand for something again, and Labour would have someone like Dennis Skinner, John McDonnell or Bob Marshall-Andrews as leader.

ReputationRep:
    David Miliband or Tony Benn.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, Probably David Miliband

ReputationRep:
    They're all horrible choices. I voted Brown simply because, from Labour's point of view, at this point in time a change would be disastrous.

As much as a disaster for Labour can be considered a good thing for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Matter)
    David Miliband or Tony Benn.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson. Miliband is a tosser- I should know, he's one of the local MP's.

ReputationRep:
    None of those conservative morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girasole)
    Hm, Probably David Miliband
    The man who bottled challenging Brown. What three or four times now?

His pathetic, and I think at this point his lost all credibility as a future Labour leader.

Labour don't have a credible alternative candidate. And not enough time before the election. It's Brown and a defeat.

(Original post by Cinematographic)
    The man who bottled challenging Brown. What three or four times now?

His pathetic, and I think at this point his lost all credibility as a future Labour leader.

Labour don't have a credible alternative candidate. And not enough time before the election. It's Brown and a defeat.
    I think David Miliband will be the next leader. I don't think he wanted to challenge Gordon Brown because if he failed then he would get kicked out of the Labour Party. Perhaps he knows that Brown is on the way out, so he can wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abucha3)
    I think David Miliband will be the next leader. I don't think he wanted to challenge Gordon Brown because if he failed then he would get kicked out of the Labour Party. Perhaps he knows that Brown is on the way out, so he can wait.
    His proven to have the political courage of a stuffed marmoset in hesitating time and time again from plunging the dagger into Gordies back. There've been so many botched attempts it's become farcical :laugh: He consistently waits for others to do the dirty job, and carry him onto the throne. That never happens in British Politics. His cowardice has undoubtedly hurt his credibility with the parliamentary party.

You only need to look the latest and rather stupid late in the day Hoon-Hewitt attempt and his last minute support for Brown when it was obvious the coup had failed; to understand where I'm coming from.

The labour left and centre are not pleased with the Blairites at this point. And all MP's are going to ask themselves if someone so spineless can be leader. His going to have an uphill struggle after the elections. His a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    Nope, look at all the nagative press the Tories are starting to receive, and it will only worsen as more of their barbaric policies are exposed. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Barbaric?

Which party has been running Britain for the last 13 years again? Which is the most two-faced government ever?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone from that list is big enough for the job, nor do I believe that Cameron or Clegg for that matter are big enough.

Labour should let reinvite Galloway and elect him as their leader, I'd vote for them in a second.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Gordon Brown 16 Votes?

Some people must think the question was "Who is the leader of the labour party?"

ReputationRep:
    Its not much of a choice, they are all nu Labour sell outs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    A man who gets his moral principles from the Bible?

No thanks, I think we've had enough of those morons.
    That is a pathetic post. The guy is 83 for christ sake so it is likely that he would believe in God. Oh and just because he does, doesn't make him a crazy God obsessor like the politicians in America. I think his personal beliefs contradict what you say. For instance, the bible teaches that homosexuality is wrong, yet Mr Benn is probably the last person I would call a homophobe. He is an extremely left wing gentlement and only turns to the bible for the basic moral rights it has influenced on society (ie, thou shalt not steal etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binstig)
    That is a pathetic post. The guy is 83 for christ sake so it is likely that he would believe in God. Oh and just because he does, doesn't make him a crazy God obsessor like the politicians in America. I think his personal beliefs contradict what you say. For instance, the bible teaches that homosexuality is wrong, yet Mr Benn is probably the last person I would call a homophobe. He is an extremely left wing gentlement and only turns to the bible for the basic moral rights it has influenced on society (ie, thou shalt not steal etc etc).
    Then in that case, he is a cherry-picking hypocrite, and we've had more than plenty of them leading our governments for **** knows how long.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to Tony Benn. He has some lively and wonderful opinions on many, many things. But I simply would not trust a man who believes his morality is grounded in religion to run the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Then in that case, he is a cherry-picking hypocrite, and we've had more than plenty of them leading our governments for **** knows how long.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to Tony Benn. He has some lively and wonderful opinions on many, many things. But I simply would not trust a man who believes his morality is grounded in religion to run the country.
    No offence but its quite clear you have taken your opinion from an interview with Mr Benn and Richard Dawkins, I can tell this by the fact your using the terms Dawkins used towards Benn like "cherry picking." Surely you can do better than that?

Even politicians from the right wing of politics often praise Tony Benn. Even David Cameron himself has done on many occasions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binstig)
    No offence but its quite clear you have taken your opinion from an interview with Mr Benn and Richard Dawkins, I can tell this by the fact your using the terms Dawkins used towards Benn like "cherry picking." Surely you can do better than that?
    I've seen that one, yes. I've seen many pieces with Tony Benn though, and that's not the only time he has referred to religion as if it held such importance in political or moral thinking.

Also I use the term 'cherry-picking', not because Dawkins has used it, but because that is what it is, and that is the most common way to refer to it. In fact, I can't think of a way to say the same thing without using that idiom and without using more words than are necessary.

Even politicians from the right wing of politics often praise Tony Benn. Even David Cameron himself has done on many occasions!
    He is, I know, a great politician and thinker, and I too have been seen to praise him - even within this very thread. I enjoy listening to Tony Benn, and I agree with him a vast majority of the time. But I am absolutely frightened out of my wits by the idea of having a PM whose views are religiously informed - or even a PM who THINKS his views are religiously informed when they aren't.

So, do I agree with Tony Benn's policy? Most of the time. Do I respect Tony Benn as a person? Yes, I do. Do I enjoy Tony Benn and his work? Yes. But am I scared by what he might be capable of in power if he believes that religious justification is the only justification we have for our moral actions? Yes, I am.

ReputationRep:
    I think harman should lead labour - on the basis that, with her as leader, there's even less risk of them winning.

ReputationRep:
    David Milliband for me is the only one with potential in that lot suggested above. Whoever becomes leader after brown will have a hard job in revitialising the labour party.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.