Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What the hell are some philosophers banging on about? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob19)
    Try reading 'Critique of Dialectical Reason'!
    I think I'll avoid Sartre for some time. Heidegger's another tough read though, I once tried reading Being and Time but couldn't get beyond the first chapter. I do actually want to read it though, maybe I'll pick up a good accompanying book and give it a go when I find the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    I think I'll avoid Sartre for some time. Heidegger's another tough read though, I once tried reading Being and Time but couldn't get beyond the first chapter. I do actually want to read it though, maybe I'll pick up a good accompanying book and give it a go when I find the time.
    Yeah Heideggers a ***** to read!

There's a series of podcast lectures on him by Huber Dreyfus, free from the Stanford uni website, they're a really good place to start. He also wrote a really good book on Being and Time.

Richard Rorty did a really good collection of essays on him too!

Well worth reading about Heidegger; he's fascinating! Can't say I'm as enthusiastic about reading the man himself though.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to check out the podcast.
    He also wrote poetry, there was a very interesting book he wrote called 'Poetry, Language, Thought' on Scribd but it's been deleted so I can't post the link. Very interesting man.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody understands Hegel. I had to study some of his stuff for a political thought module and we all got good marks purely because, by his own admission, the senior lecturer didn't understand Hegel either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Nobody understands Hegel. I had to study some of his stuff for a political thought module and we all got good marks purely because, by his own admission, the senior lecturer didn't understand Hegel either!
    I like my lecturer's quote 'Not even Hegel understands Hegel'! He was essentially a conservative,which the young (left) hegelians criticised him for and converted it to demand radical chances in society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Schopenhauer beats Hegel.

lol.

I think so anyway.
    So did Schopenhauer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    So did Schopenhauer!
    What? Schopenhauer beat Schopenhauer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    What? Schopenhauer beat Schopenhauer?
    hah no Schopenhauer thought he was better then Hegel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    hah no Schopenhauer thought he was better then Hegel
    Yeah, there's that amusing story about how he deliberately did lectures at the same time as Hegel because he thought he was so much better, only to have no audience at all as they all flocked to see the superstar philosopher talk.

Schopenhauer's life makes for quite funny reading, in a dark humour sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Yeah, there's that amusing story about how he deliberately did lectures at the same time as Hegel because he thought he was so much better, only to have no audience at all as they all flocked to see the superstar philosopher talk.

Schopenhauer's life makes for quite funny reading, in a dark humour sort of way.
    yep you read him and he really is a grumpy old git - but quite brilliant at the same time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.