Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Subjects Wud I Need To Choose For My Options If I Want To Do Accountancy...? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ive got my options next week and im not sure which subjects i should do if i want to pursue a career iin chartered accountancy....

what subjects should i do???

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your school/college offers and what subjects you enjoy most.

If I were you, and that were my ambition, then probs:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Economics
    French (or another foreign language)

But again, it's up to. Maths is pretty much essential, and the rest are just subjects that would compliment your application to Uni/accountancy firm quite well.

ReputationRep:
    check university prospectuses and see if the ones you are aiming for have any subject criteria. (although for accountancy many don't specify) economics can be useful as can maths but not at all necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help.

Im just thinking now whether our school do economics bcuz i guess that wud help alot with my career. Ill just probs have to wait until i know what subjects they are giving me.

Oh...and well there is a college called Kaplan (ftc) and its an accountancy college really so im thinking of going there. it says that you dont need any qualifications just a good grip with maths and know how to write english.

Thanks alot for the help 1nce again.

ReputationRep:
    Subjects you're good at and you enjoy as the requirements are usually not so specific, but do check on the websites of unis you plan to apply to. Definitely have Maths (you could even do FM if you love maths and are very good at it), then maybe one or two essay writing subjects, a language or a science. Accounting is by no means required.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is useful so you should definitely do that....also Economics or Business Studies would be a good choice. Economics is probably better to do though as it is more respected. Then there is also accountancy which would be useful but is considered by some uni's as a 'soft' subject like Business Studies, but it's up to you as they would definitely be useful to study if you want to pursue a career in accountancy. I'm also going for a career in accountancy btw.

ReputationRep:
    thanks. ive checked the websites and it doesnt have anything specific so i guess i shud do anything really.

How old are you bcuz im onli 13 and in yr 9 so i want to make sure im doing the right things...

if ure olda i guess i cud ask what u did???

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Business Studies, Maths and ICT and also did Psychology at AS Level. I only chose Business because my school didn't offer Economics so I just settled with that. Most uni's don't actually require economics or business but it just helps you're uni application when you apply. The only requirements I've usually seen are Maths at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Well in FTC you do:

Foundation
    Intermediate
    Technician
    Another Technician (optional)
    Certificate
    Advanced certificate
    Diploma Level
    Diploma

And guess what....i dont no a thing about any of this....i dont understand which ones i have to do if i do all of them its sooooooo confuzing!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.