Turn on thread page Beta

The Official top 20 Most targeted universities for 2010 reccruitment watch

ReputationRep:
    Here we go again, this is a list of the top 20 most targeted universities by the top 100 companies for 2010. This means the universities/students the recruiters visit most and actively target in these difficult economic climes (it came out on 13 January 2010). It is interesting becuase it provides an alternative to league tables, since im sure most of us are greatly concerned about our employment prspects when we graduate. High fliers by the way is the leading graduate recruitment body. Take from it what you will as no list of anything is perfect, but i guess no one has a better idea of which universities employers 'respect' enough to spend money on visiting.

Top 20:

1) Manchester
    2) London (meaning Imperial, LSE and UCL according to the survey)
    3) Warwick
    4) Cambridge
    5) Oxford
    6) Nottingham
    7) Bath
    8) Bristol
    9) Leeds
    10) Birmingham

11) Durham
    12 Sheffield
    13) Loughborough
    14) Edinburgh
    15) Southampton
    16) Newcastle
    17) Cardiff
    18) York
    19) Liverpool
    12) Lancaster

No real suprises in the top 15 (judging by league tables as a comparison), although it does show that again the smaller universities like York, St Andrew's and Exeter are not favoured by employers despite ranking higher than some in the top 20(backed up by % employed rates in rankings as well). The blurb to go with it is interesting and touches on this:

''The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the 2009-2010 recruitment round are Manchester, London (which includes Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London), Warwick, Cambridge and Oxford. These universities have each attracted the largest number of top employers for campus careers fairs, local presentations or other university recruitment promotions. Other popular institutions with employers include Nottingham, Bath, Bristol, Leeds and Birmingham.
    It is interesting to compare this list with the rankings from the latest edition of The Times Good University Guide 2010, the league table of leading universities compiled from data including entry standards, teaching performance, academic research, student funding and graduates’ career prospects. In it, Oxford and Cambridge are ranked in 1st and 2nd place with Imperial College, University College London and the London School of Economics in 3rd, 5th and 7th places respectively. Manchester – the top choice for employers for the last three years – fails to make the top twenty and is ranked in 24th place. However, neither St Andrews or Exeter – which are ranked fourth and ninth respectively in The Times Good University Guide 2010 – appear within the top twenty universities most-targeted by the UK’s leading employers''.

Here is the link: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GM10Report.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I'm so surprised St Andrews isn't up there!

ReputationRep:
    That's confused me now, Sheffield has a better course but if employers target Manchester more maybe I should aim to go there . Thanks for that :p:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on thge course too! I imagine employers who target universities are more the industry type and e.g. Manchester is in the top 20 for many sciences etc! General lists just aren't representative at all!

ReputationRep:
    Why is this 'official'?

And it's a ranking of on-campus promotion programs, not the most targeted universities for 2010 recruitment. One does not necessarily lead to the other.

Additionally, with no scale comparison is severely hindered. And ofcourse it depends on the course et cetera, i'd take this with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy this stuff but it's good that all 5 of my UCAS choices are in the top 15 when it comes to employment, according to...someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    Why is this 'official'?

And it's a ranking of on-campus promotion programs, not the most targeted universities for 2010 recruitment. One does not necessarily lead to the other.

Additionally, with no scale comparison is severely hindered. And ofcourse it depends on the course et cetera, i'd take this with a pinch of salt.
    It is officials because it is the officials firm that the government gets to compile all the recruitment data. Plus it is a list of the universities the top 100 recognised companies ARE advertising their jobs too. This is what targeting is, advertising their jobs to. By visiting a campus they are targeting that university's students.

Of course it is not a list of the best places to go if you want a job, but it does provide an interesting insight to which places employers respect enough to spend money visiting and meeting their students.

ReputationRep:
    This 'London' umbrella term is misleading. Are you trying to tell me the likes of KCL and SOAS (trying to make myself feel better) wouldn't make the top 20 most targeted?

ReputationRep:
    Mwhahahaha #2!

(Yes I'm aware QMUL is obviously less respected than others and is only up there thanks to LSE/UCL/Kings being in that listing but what the hell!)

(Original post by stalag_7)
    This 'London' umbrella term is misleading. Are you trying to tell me the likes of KCL and SOAS (trying to make myself feel better) wouldn't make the top 20 most targeted?
    ''The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the 2009-2010 recruitment round are Manchester, London (which includes Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of London)

KCL and SOAS are part of that.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really club LSE, UCL and Imperial together as if they were one university.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Lol at leeds being ahead of Durham

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the confirmation @ajp100688. It looks like I'll be staying in London for another 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Plus it is a list of the universities the top 100 recognised companies ARE advertising their jobs too.
    Anyone from any university could apply for those jobs if they looked on the website. 'Targeting' doesn't really mean that much. I personally find recruitment events and other promotions as a waste of my time and theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is first? This list is biased.

ReputationRep:
    lol where is KCL ? And no you cannot group all London Uni's into one category, there's a wide variety of Uni's/Institutions in London catering to different subjects.

ReputationRep:
    weird list innit...

ReputationRep:
    Ah on review of the specific article it makes more sense now, it's not in proportion to university size, hence there's an inherent bias to larger universities (Manchester, Leeds), while smaller universities (Durham, York) ultimately end up ranked lower, because they don't have the same amount or range of graduates to offer.

(Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    It is officials because it is the officials firm that the government gets to compile all the recruitment data. Plus it is a list of the universities the top 100 recognised companies ARE advertising their jobs too. This is what targeting is, advertising their jobs to. By visiting a campus they are targeting that university's students.

Of course it is not a list of the best places to go if you want a job, but it does provide an interesting insight to which places employers respect enough to spend money visiting and meeting their students.
    Where did you find out the government mandates this?

There are other ways of 'targeting' universities, namely when you're not going to them, on-campus promotion is just one of many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    weird list innit...
    That last pic in yoru sig is so disgusting where did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Manchester is first? This list is biased.
    Manchester really is first for recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    That last pic in yoru sig is so disgusting where did you find it?
    thats my mum you know!! :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.