Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official top 20 Most targeted universities for 2010 reccruitment watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    There are more employers going to Manchester, but not more top employers in terms of earning potential etc. For example, as i said above mckinsey and many other world leading firms who don't need lots of graduates but a few excellent ones focus their reach like so:

http://www.mckinsey.com/locations/UK...ng_Events.aspx

You'll find that companies that don't have big recruitment budgets go to the bigger unis that are cheaper to access. Other companies don't have a problem getting up to St. Andrews.
    "top 20 most targeted universities by the top 100 companies for 2010"

If you want to see the list of the 'top 100 companies', click the link in the OP. They're talking about major employers.

There are plenty of top management consultancy firms who visit Manchester. McKinsey don't, but what does that prove? They're focusing their reach to University College Cork, no time for poxy redbrick grads?

ReputationRep:
    hy is there only 12 in this list of 20

ReputationRep:
    Can I just tell you guys as long as you to any top 30 university the only thing that matters is if you pass the psychometric tests and the interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Can I just tell you guys as long as you to any top 30 university the only thing that matters is if you pass the psychometric tests and the interview...
    Assuming you want to go into a field which hires that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Assuming you want to go into a field which hires that way.
    The Big 4 Accounting firms do...and I know a lot of other Blue chip companies do too....good luck with kckinsey or w/e you are afer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    The Big 4 Accounting firms do...and I know a lot of other Blue chip companies do too....good luck with kckinsey or w/e you are afer
    I want to work in the media. It was another poster who brought up management consultancies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    "top 20 most targeted universities by the top 100 companies for 2010"

If you want to see the list of the 'top 100 companies', click the link in the OP. They're talking about major employers.

There are plenty of top management consultancy firms who visit Manchester. McKinsey don't, but what does that prove? They're focusing their reach to University College Cork, no time for poxy redbrick grads?
    I don't disagree that Manchester attracts the most major employers. But often, you have greater prospects and earning potential with smaller companies that have more of a meritocracy. You'll find more of these companies visiting the more elite unis as they have few places with lots of competition so can afford to be picky.

It all depends on your definition of 'top companies,' the methodology that the times uses won't be what many graduates want as it doesn't factor in starting salary etc. If you look for unis with the highest starting salaries you will find that the order is very different to what this table says. LSE comes top. Not all students care about money though so thats why its subjective. All I'm saying is take the table with a pinch of salt, I'm not dissing manchester, I would love to be at that uni.

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree that Manchester attracts the most major employers. But often, you have greater prospects and earning potential with smaller companies that have more of a meritocracy. You'll find more of these companies visiting the more elite unis as they have few places with lots of competition so can afford to be picky.

It all depends on your definition of 'top companies,' the methodology that the times uses won't be what many graduates want as it doesn't factor in starting salary etc. If you look for unis with the highest starting salaries you will find that the order is very different to what this table says. LSE comes top. Not all students care about money though so thats why its subjective. All I'm saying is take the table with a pinch of salt, I'm not dissing manchester, I would love to be at that uni.
    Have you looked at the link posted in the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Have you looked at the link posted in the OP?
    Yes. So you would like to work in the media, this may or may not be relevant: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...sectioncode=26

'45 per cent of the leading journalists overall in 2006 (or 56 per cent of those who went to university) attended Oxbridge. And just under 37 per cent of the journalists in 2006 who were graduates came from Oxford.' As good as Manchester is at attracting mainstream employers, it isn't the best place to be if you are wanting to enter one of the more competitive industries. For example, in the link posted by the OP, it says the highest starting salary is in Investment Banks. If you look at their intern classes, the numbers from Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick dwarf those from the six thraditional redbricks.

ReputationRep:
    this is silly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. So you would like to work in the media, this may or may not be relevant: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...sectioncode=26

'45 per cent of the leading journalists overall in 2006 (or 56 per cent of those who went to university) attended Oxbridge. And just under 37 per cent of the journalists in 2006 who were graduates came from Oxford.' As good as Manchester is at attracting mainstream employers, it isn't the best place to be if you are wanting to enter one of the more competitive industries. For example, in the link posted by the OP, it says the highest starting salary is in Investment Banks. If you look at their intern classes, the numbers from Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick dwarf those from the six thraditional redbricks.
    I don't want to write for a broadsheet - but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here?

No-one's suggesting that Manchester graduates are necessarily going to have the best graduate prospects because they're at the top of this list, but it's not the case that we have the highest number of recruiters coming to the university because we invite employers who'll take absolutely anyone rather than the ones who, to use your phrase, 'can afford to be picky.' rather than just picking from the redbrick chaff, so only target 'elite unis' (like University College Cork, I assume).

ReputationRep:
    League tables are **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This list seems fairly standard and sensible if a little pointless, its so subject/career path specific to generalise it in this way doesn't make too much sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I don't want to write for a broadsheet - but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here?

No-one's suggesting that Manchester graduates are necessarily going to have the best graduate prospects because they're at the top of this list, but it's not the case that we have the highest number of recruiters coming to the university because we invite employers who'll take absolutely anyone rather than the ones who, to use your phrase, 'can afford to be picky.' rather than just picking from the redbrick chaff, so only target 'elite unis' (like University College Cork, I assume).
    Okay, glad that was cleared up, some posters started to question whether their UCAS choices were right after seeing the table, presumably due to them questioning the graduate prospects of their uni. That second sentence was difficult to follow, it had 5 commas! Haha 'redbrick chaff'. Manchester is an elite uni, it is one of the most research-intensive institutions in the world, hence its high world ranking and high peer-review. But whether this extends to all red-bricks is debatable.

But anyway the point I was trying to make was that top 10 unis with a smaller student body that are harder to access e.g. Warwick, Durham do have less of the 'top' companies visiting but due to them having a perceived higher calibre of student, there are companies that visit them among an exclusive group of universities. Manchester is now becoming one of these unis, for example magic circle law firms do visit manchester regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    Me too actually I'm pretty happy about that.

Why, where do you go? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yay Warwick. Never lets you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-17)
    Why, where do you go? :p:
    It's my primary choice and it's an excellent University. I'm happy in a drop in competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    It's my primary choice and it's an excellent University. I'm happy in a drop in competition.

SAME. I want to go there so badly, but then last week two people looked at me like I was absolutely insane for wanting to go there...which kind of dented my confidence in it. But it's definitely still my top choice!

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a crap if the recruiters go there with their promotions?

It's all about quantity in these tables, it doesn't necessarily reflect anything to do with graduate prospects.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.