Turn on thread page Beta

would like some outside opinion on my break up watch

ReputationRep:
    a few days ago my boyfriend of a year broke up with me over the phone, saying that he didn't feel the same anymore. This was a bit out of the blue as the last time i'd seen him a couple of weeks before everything was fine.
    Obviously i was upset, mostly cos he hadn't even seen me or talked about it first. I said some nasty stuff and got upset.
    I spoke to him a couple of days later to get some answers when i had calmed down, and he acted like he was pissed off with me, much like he did when we broke up. I just don't get why he's annoyed at me, as it was surely understandable that i was angry when he dumped me? Also he kept saying how much he wanted us to be friends, what's the point?!

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him in person to find out what went wrong. Start with apologising for whatever you said. Despite being understandable, these things most likely still hurt him (depends what you said!).

People always say they still wants to be friends though. Perhaps just wait until both of you have calmed down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teddybomb)
    a few days ago my boyfriend of a year broke up with me over the phone, saying that he didn't feel the same anymore. This was a bit out of the blue as the last time i'd seen him a couple of weeks before everything was fine.
    Obviously i was upset, mostly cos he hadn't even seen me or talked about it first. I said some nasty stuff and got upset.
    I spoke to him a couple of days later to get some answers when i had calmed down, and he acted like he was pissed off with me, much like he did when we broke up. I just don't get why he's annoyed at me, as it was surely understandable that i was angry when he dumped me? Also he kept saying how much he wanted us to be friends, what's the point?!
    I think over the phone, like you said 'he didn't feel the same anymore' in my opinion, i think he said i think we should break up but lets continue being friends, and like you said, you were upset, you said 'some nasty stuff'. If anyone says to anyone nasty stuff clearly you or the person effected will be 'annoyed'.

The fact its your boyfriend of a year ago means...never, ever keep in touch. Friends...people can still be friends with ex's, as to whats to point...hmm..well perhaps they want to get back together someday. Everyone have different ways, it works out for th BEST or NOT THE BEST. Being friends with ex..in my opinion is not a good idea, one...someday hes going to text you or say to you, i miss you. *shivers* clearly going to use and abuse you again.

ReputationRep:
    What a gutsy man he is breaking up over the phone..

but seriously, might you have sad something rather personally offensive (Like you've got a small wang etc).

What did you say to him? He may have expected you to understand his position and you acted totally the opposite he expected you to.

ReputationRep:
    basically i said he was a coward and had obviously never loved me like he said, and while i didn't say it in the best way, i feel that's fair. However when i was just asking him stuff when i had calmed down to get things straight he was being in a mood and saying i never listened, i didn't believe anything he said and just generally being stubborn. He also kept going on about how he still wanted to give me a necklace he bought me and doesn't seem to get that i don't want it.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly in my opinion being friends will not work, unless it's way in the future when you're both fully over each other.

The content of what you said doesn't sound too bad to me, especially because he was randomly dumping you. Apologise and tell him that you want to know why but don't nag him and demand to know because that won't make you look good, and what good would it do?

Tell him you would never wear the necklace so there's no point having it, if he still wants to give it to you sell it or give it to a friend, you did warn him!

ReputationRep:
    i'm satisfied with his reasoning now and have accepted that he doesn't feel the same anymore, fair enough, but i feel like he's dealing with it really stupidly, i mean i'm the one who was dumped, not him! Now i need to give him some stuff back but don't really know how to go about it...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds weird but its like a defence mechanism. He is probably upset that he doesn't feel the way he used to feel about you, but nevertheless he can't help it. Hence being grumpy. Just remember, don't pine after him, be civil and keep busy. A clingy ex is not cool and is definitely not the way to win back an ex etc... Also, I hope you feel ok about it all soon

ReputationRep:
    sounds odd but i feel like i am ok with it already. I'm just a bit lost because normally if someone breaks up with me speaking etc isn't even an issue as it is usually because they've done something horrible. I'm trying to find a line between sorting what needs to be sorted and coming across like i want to get back with him...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.