Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Allergic to Penicillin? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had severe tonsillitis not long ago and had been taking penicillin for 9 days well i've come out all in a rash on my ankles which are pretty swollen, legs, my face, stomach and wrists! and I woke up this morning and my lips are swollen too.
    I had a word with the doctor over the phone yesterday and she said to stop taking it straight away and come in for an appointment and said it looks like i'm allergic.. well I don't know if I am, I mean could it be that i've just took too much? Because I saw about 3 doctors last week and 2nd one put me on a stronger dose and 3rd doctor told me to double the stronger dose. So is it possible i've just had too much? Because it wasn't working at first only worked when the stronger dose was doubled.

Also don't know if its anything to do with this but yesterday I was sooo thirsty before dinner time and I had drank 4 bottles of water. I don't normally drink that in a day!! :/

ReputationRep:
    How many mg was the doubled dosage and at what frequency did you have to take it?

ReputationRep:
    Does each Doc know about the other's prescribed amount/dosage?
    Also, did you alter how many you took and how ofen, when moving up to the higher dosage tablets?

ReputationRep:
    Im allergic to penicillin,have been since i was a baby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    How many mg was the doubled dosage and at what frequency did you have to take it?
    The first one I had tablets which say 'each tablet contains 250mg of phenoxymethylpenicillin...and has a potassium content of 28mg take ONE four times a day'

Then 2nd prescription was given in liquid form because I was having trouble swallowing... '250mg/5ml, take ONE 5ml spoonfuls four times a day'

3rd I was told to take 'TWO 5ml spoonfuls four times a day'

So was the 1st and 2nd dose the same but just in liquid form? even though the doctor said he was giving me a stronger dose... maybe that's why it didnt make much difference!

(Original post by Jay Deeee)
    Does each Doc know about the other's prescribed amount/dosage?
    Also, did you alter how many you took and how ofen, when moving up to the higher dosage tablets?
    Yes they all knew about previous penicillin prescribed and the dosage. The second doctor told me he would put me on a higher dosage & liquid form.
    I had to go to hospital for the 3rd and the doctor there said he didn't think I was on a strong enough dosage and I told him the other doctor said it was quite strong but he told me to double it. And it did work to be fair, started to clear up but i'm left with a really annoying rash and swelling now! I don't know if its an allergy or just i've just had too much!
    I took 2 spoonfuls every 4-6hours which was the same as the first tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    Im allergic to penicillin,have been since i was a baby

I've just read this:

How penicillin allergy develops
    No one is born allergic to penicillin, but you can develop an allergy to the drug once you've been exposed to it. After that, re-exposure to penicillin or related antibiotics can trigger an allergic reaction.
    So you must of been exposed to antibiotics when a baby then? and had an allergic reaction while being exposed again!?

I have never been on antibiotics while I was a child/teenager. (Unless I had them as a young baby/toddler)
    It's the first time i've had an infection of any sort. So maybe that's why I didn't react when first taking them? I duno!

ReputationRep:
    very common to be allergic to penicillin. Its highly unlikely that its anything to do with taking too much as the first symptoms you'd start to notice wouldn't be a rash (it would wreck your gut bacteria first giving you all sorts of problems out your back end!), and frankly, you'd need to be taking a mental amount (literally bucket loads) to cause a reaction as severe as you're describing. Without being there I cant say for sure, though if I were a betting man Id put good money on you being allergic to it, its a textbook case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    very common to be allergic to penicillin. Its highly unlikely that its anything to do with taking too much as the first symptoms you'd start to notice wouldn't be a rash (it would wreck your gut bacteria first giving you all sorts of problems out your back end!), and frankly, you'd need to be taking a mental amount (literally bucket loads) to cause a reaction as severe as you're describing. Without being there I cant say for sure, though if I were a betting man Id put good money on you being allergic to it, its a textbook case.

oo ok thankyou just wanted it to be confirmed.

Also can taking antibiotics cause teeth to go yellow? Because mine have gone awful. And I brush them a lot because I have a brace but I noticed while taking the penicillin and afterwards they have changed colour!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin101)
    very common to be allergic to penicillin.
    Even more common to think you're allergic to penicillin.

ReputationRep:
    I am most definetely allergic to amoxycillin so it is possible..

ReputationRep:
    Ugh fooling about with anti-biotics never helps anybody. Sounds like they cocked up your prescription. I'm allergic to penicillin. It sucks
    No rashes though :eek: I end up puking up the contents of my stomach to the point where it becomes bile. Then everything tastes funny for the next 12 hours or so. grosss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Even more common to think you're allergic to penicillin.

I actually thought I wasn't allergic.. I just mentioned it to someone at work(work in a nursing home) if it was a side affect to have a rash while taking anti-biotics and they said maybe I'm allergic and should go to doctors to get it checked. The doctor seemed pretty sure that I was said it looked like i had hives & been stung by nettles.
    But I don't understand really why I didn't have a reaction within the first few days of taking it!? It seems worse now i've stopped taking it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    Ugh fooling about with anti-biotics never helps anybody. Sounds like they cocked up your prescription. I'm allergic to penicillin. It sucks
    No rashes though :eek: I end up puking up the contents of my stomach to the point where it becomes bile. Then everything tastes funny for the next 12 hours or so. grosss
    eurgh doesn't sound good at all

well It was 3 different doctors.. and the first 2 prescriptions didn't seem to help at all. So I don't really blame them.

While being on the antibiotics I didn't feel sick at all, not once.. which I know some people experience if they are allergic. I felt fine just started to get a rash towards the end though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    I actually thought I wasn't allergic.. I just mentioned it to someone at work(work in a nursing home) if it was a side affect to have a rash while taking anti-biotics and they said maybe I'm allergic and should go to doctors to get it checked. The doctor seemed pretty sure that I was said it looked like i had hives & been stung by nettles.
    But I don't understand really why I didn't have a reaction within the first few days of taking it!? It seems worse now i've stopped taking it!
    http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/58/3706.htm
    (Original post by BNF)
    Individuals with a history of a minor rash (i.e. non-confluent, non-pruritic rash restricted to a small area of the body) or a rash that occurs more than 72 hours after penicillin administration are probably not allergic to penicillin and in these individuals a penicillin should not be withheld unnecessarily for serious infections; the possibility of an allergic reaction should, however, be borne in mind. Other beta-lactam antibiotics (including cephalosporins) can be used in these patients.

ReputationRep:
    That's not an allergy, that's a side effect. You must have anyphylaxis, urticaria or rash to have an allergy.

ReputationRep:
    OP, are you going to be referred to the allergy clinic? Sounds like a reaction...I had something similar except it became even more severe (not with penicillin though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    well It was 3 different doctors.. and the first 2 prescriptions didn't seem to help at all. So I don't really blame them.

While being on the antibiotics I didn't feel sick at all, not once.. which I know some people experience if they are allergic. I felt fine just started to get a rash towards the end though.
    Yeah well that will be it if all three of them were giving you prescriptions. Penicillin allergies tend to develop as someone pointed out above, and drugs that you used to be okay with can suddenly start to make you very ill from one day forward. **** knows why :confused: The thing with anti-biotics is to not use them if you can help it, but if you must then make sure you follow the prescription through to the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    That's not an allergy, that's a side effect. You must have anyphylaxis, urticaria or rash to have an allergy.
    pffft semantics. Side effect of what then exactly? All I know is that my body rejects certain drugs and makes me feel more ill than before I took them.

ReputationRep:
    pffft semantics. Side effect of what then exactly? All I know is that my body rejects certain drugs and makes me feel more ill than before I took them.
    Side effect of penicillin (or whichever antibiotics you take). Beta-lactams, especially the penicillins, are well known to cause vomiting and, I believe, are known to alter taste. They do all of this without mast cell degranulation.

You might think it semantics but only in the way that you semantically can't have appendicitis without an inflamed appendix and can't have a broken leg without, err, well, breaking your leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_effect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    OP, are you going to be referred to the allergy clinic? Sounds like a reaction...I had something similar except it became even more severe (not with penicillin though).

How did it get worse?

Um nope she just gave me a prescription for anti-histamines. This is the 3rd day i've been taking them and the rash has got worse and is in more places. Maybe it takes some time though to get better?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.