The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Deutsch_Beth
Can't comment on excercise routines, but I will comment, as someone who has a verrry similar body shape to you, that that bikini shape isnt flattering at all on curvy thighs.
Getting a "shorts" cut or "boyleg" cut on swimmies is so much more flattering on our thighs, as they smooth over the really curvy bit just below the hip, and emphasize the bum that comes with curvy hips :smile:

Unfortunately, with the legs does not come a good bum with me :frown: I have big thighs but my bum is just...bleugh. It's like...flabby lol. (I'm not the typical pear shape with a bigger lower half than upper - my boobs rival my thighs lol but it's not considered as bad to have big boobs :lol:) It's really annoying being 5'1 with large legs because you always get told to wear high waisted bikini bottoms but they emphasize the thighs lol :p:
yoyoyo558
Unfortunately, with the legs does not come a good bum with me :frown: I have big thighs but my bum is just...bleugh. It's like...flabby lol. (I'm not the typical pear shape with a bigger lower half than upper - my boobs rival my thighs lol but it's not considered as bad to have big boobs :lol:) It's really annoying being 5'1 with large legs because you always get told to wear high waisted bikini bottoms but they emphasize the thighs lol :p:

wear a swim skirt or sarong, I always do on the beach...I think we may have similar body shapes, in that I'm short and curvy too
Reply 22
I have a similar body shape to you, and I don't think you look that bad! I don't look to bad also! I find it's all about confidence and finding the good in how you look, you have boobs and a nice waist; everyone has things they don't like, don't worry! Maybe cycle if you like, but I wouldn't be too worried :smile:
Reply 23
tropical-twist3
wear a swim skirt or sarong, I always do on the beach...I think we may have similar body shapes, in that I'm short and curvy too

Oh yeah! I'll need to invest in those soon then :p:
Also, can you wear boardshorts to swim in? I've never seen girls wearing boardshorts :s-smilie: (not the long ones guys wear but the cute ones from Roxy/O'Neill or someplace?) They look good for water sports which I'll be doing during the trip in April :smile:
yoyoyo558
Also, can you wear boardshorts to swim in? I've never seen girls wearing boardshorts :s-smilie: (not the long ones guys wear but the cute ones from Roxy/O'Neill or someplace?) They look good for water sports which I'll be doing during the trip in April :smile:

Yeah, my sister wears board shorts, I wear sarongs/swimskirts. :smile:
I think your main problem is your height. I'd search for articles on how to dress for your height(I'm assuming you're a pear shape too?). The bikini bottom makes you look shorter because it goes up so much at the waist, consider a low waist one (also have a solid colour one, the patterns bring too much attention to your hips--in having said all that, if you don't intend on wearing the bikini bottom ignore everything I just said about it) For a temporary fix and for cellulite, you should try a seaweed clay body wrap, you can buy one or make your own or go into a beauty spa that do them; quality of skin can have a big effect on how thin something looks. If your skin looks smooth you'll look thinner for it so exfoliate and moisturise! You should also consider just losing weight, as you can't spot reduce, if you're already a healthy weight or underweight, don't bother.

^_______________________________^
Reply 26
thatblondegirl
Why?

Because it's a meaningless nothing term that leads to bad habits. The ambiguous effect of "tone" means a high muscle to fat ratio, but people like to call it "tone" as if it's a property of muscle (ie. "I have toned muscles"), which makes little sense and leads to people doing stupid things like a million reps of pinky lifts and trying to spot-reduce fat.

If people ditched the word tone and said they either wanted to lose fat or gain muscle they'd have a much clearer picture of what they want, how to go about it and thus be more successful.
Reply 27
More excercise won't do any harm at all. Have a go at some of the above mentioned for a few weeks.

Also, don't wear tight trousers. What you're wearing in the top pic emphasises them too heavily - floaty skirts are always good :smile:
Reply 28
Charlski
More excercise won't do any harm at all. Have a go at some of the above mentioned for a few weeks.

Also, don't wear tight trousers. What you're wearing in the top pic emphasises them too heavily - floaty skirts are always good :smile:

Lol yes I'd never wear leggings without a log top or a skirt or something haha :laugh: It's annoying that the fashions today are the ones that don't suit me lol :p:
Everyone has issues with their bodies.... no-one is perfect and I do think you look fine. But if you are really worried then definately cut your food portions down, small portions work wonders. I'd also recommend a Wii Fit Board, its fun and you definately can burn off fat. I did.
Reply 30
yoyoyo558
Lol yes I'd never wear leggings without a log top or a skirt or something haha :laugh: It's annoying that the fashions today are the ones that don't suit me lol :p:

Hehe, I feel the same way, don't worry. I'm 5'4 and pretty slightly built but I still don't have the thighs for really tight stuff either (they're all muscley in the wrong places thanks to years of prettymuch daily horseriding, same problem with my arms - I'm a size 6 but I have massive problems with tight sleeves on shirts and things which fit me everywhere else :frown:). Very jealous of the girls who can pull that sort of thing off :mad:
Reply 31
The problem is not your thighs, it's your body image. You have a fantastic figure and the only reason you should want to tone up is for your self esteem. It's healthy to excercise, so do it, just don't get sucked in and too into the idea of losing weight. I would reccomend lots of long walks, cycling, swimming but nothing that builds up muscles (so any of the leg workers weight things in the gym!) and i'm not sure squats would work to make them smaller. Do dancing as well, in heels! It fun and if you're out with your friends etc you wont even realise until your legs kill the next day! Personally, I think (as I've said before) you have a great figure and nothing to worry about. Your legs look healthy and not at all flabby, it's probably mainly muscle so work on liking your figure before embarking on any over the top excercise regime. The whole thing for horribly skinny legs is ridiculous and shapely legs are A LOT more sexy than a pre-pubescent pair that look like they'll snap. think maralyn monroe
yoyoyo558

I think you have a lovely, hourglass bodyshape. I have seen loads of girls wearing bikini tops and broadshorts and that's what i'm going to do when i go on holiday as i too have thighs that i'm not proud of :smile: I think it looks particularly nice on people with curvier/hourglass bodyshapes cus you can still retain an air of femininity whilst wearing shorts that are kind of associated with males... LOL :smile: :yes:
yoyoyo558
I know they are horrendous and disgustingly large. (The photo actually seems to have taken some of the fat off - it looks a lot worse in real life). Do you reckon they are mainly fat or a bit of muscle as well? For the record, I am short as well (5'1) so they make me look even shorter because they stick out at the saddlebags. I'm sure they wouldn't be as bad on someone with longer legs but since I'm really short, they just look silly to be honest. (Dress size is around 10 if it helps). Also my feet are only a size 4 which just emphasizes my thighs. My calves, I think, I can pass off for muscley but my thighs definitely can't :frown:. How on earth do I make them into a normal shape? They look like a 50 year olds except with less cellulite :cry2: I'm going on a holiday with my friends in April and I want to know if you would notice that my thighs are way bigger than everyone elses or would most people just worry about themselves to notice anyone else :confused:. Also, would you ever be attracted to a girl with thighs this big?
Advice would be great please! :smile:

(The attachments below are shown in the spoilers)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edit: Picture posted later to see how legs are in proportion to rest of body:

Spoiler

WTF - your legs are GORGEOUS! Especially their shape - ******* gorgeous! and size wise they are good to!

You have FIT/TONED MUSCULAR legs, if you want to tone them further DONT LISTEN TO THE **** ABOUT DOING CARDIO!!! I have legs just like yours (even bigger) and NOTHING WORKED to make them smaller, i was even told that legs are one thing you cant change!!! but I did change mine.

SLOW SQUATTING AND LUNGES- V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y (thats just to add effect to the slowness :P)

and when you do squats do like half squats and then after whatever many youve done stay in the half squated position AND FEEL THE PAIN of your muscles breaking down.

also before food and bedtime HAVE HONEY OR fruit because the have a one to one fructose glucose ratio which will FUEL YOUR LIVER and help you break down muscle and also stop you putting on any wieght from the food your eating.

im prolly not explaining this well - BUTIT WORKS

WATCH THIS VIDEO - its by MIKE McInnes - my ex-employer, he works at the forfront of this new study and he will explain it better!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1lbfhPLeM
as others have said, not as bad as you think :smile: you've got a good upper body too
i'd recommend running up and down the stairs- good for the thighs, hurts like hell though so if you do, don't overdo it at first, gradually build it up, i got to a point when i did like 100 up and down a day ha
cycling, squats, lunges and running :smile: and try some boxing
Reply 35
yoyoyo558
I'm going on a holiday with my friends in April and I want to know if you would notice that my thighs are way bigger than everyone elses or would most people just worry about themselves to notice anyone else :confused:. Also, would you ever be attracted to a girl with thighs this big?
Advice would be great please! :smile:

Want the truth, i'll give you the honest truth. At first, i read your description with height and your concern, then clicked the spoiler, first expression, 'Woah' in a bad way. second picture, 'woah but hmm' in a bad way but small good way, third picture 'woah but hmmmm' in a bad way and good way and fourth picture, 'now, wow, the upper body compliments your whole figure so far making your legs not that bad.'

Can work be done to it? Course, i really think you have lovely skin, I think if you dropped 12-14lbs before april by Exercising and dieting that is, i think your legs will look even gorgeous. Once you have those gorgeous legs, keep them moistured and keep yourself hydrated over all.

Can you do it before april? Yes, are you motivated? disciplined? You must be.

5 hours a week in gym MAX, 3/4 times a week, 1 gym visit = an hour 20 minutes. Course it doesn't total up but you do it at your pace, you have 3 months and half to do this in, plenty of time.

All that is needed is you standing up your own two feet and do it. Oh, please don't take it in a hearted manner, i'm here to help you get those lovely legs you want and i'm helping you visualise it. Feel free to blog it in the Fitness Blog on this website, i hope to see the progress and the soon you start to accept it, the quicker more people on here will help you.

I understand girls wants to look good on the beach or on holiday, so hope my input has been in some use.
Reply 36
2Av
Want the truth, i'll give you the honest truth. At first, i read your description with height and your concern, then clicked the spoiler, first expression, 'Woah' in a bad way. second picture, 'woah but hmm' in a bad way but small good way, third picture 'woah but hmmmm' in a bad way and good way and fourth picture, 'now, wow, the upper body compliments your whole figure so far making your legs not that bad.'

Can work be done to it? Course, i really think you have lovely skin, I think if you dropped 12-14lbs before april by Exercising and dieting that is, i think your legs will look even gorgeous. Once you have those gorgeous legs, keep them moistured and keep yourself hydrated over all.

Can you do it before april? Yes, are you motivated? disciplined? You must be.

5 hours a week in gym MAX, 3/4 times a week, 1 gym visit = an hour 20 minutes. Course it doesn't total up but you do it at your pace, you have 3 months and half to do this in, plenty of time.

All that is needed is you standing up your own two feet and do it. Oh, please don't take it in a hearted manner, i'm here to help you get those lovely legs you want and i'm helping you visualise it. Feel free to blog it in the Fitness Blog on this website, i hope to see the progress and the soon you start to accept it, the quicker more people on here will help you.

I understand girls wants to look good on the beach or on holiday, so hope my input has been in some use.

Thanks for the honesty - it's really helpful actually :biggrin:
Yeah I have to motivate myself and just do it and get exercising properly (I go to a couple of sports cubs but it's more social than actual exercise). Yes I might make a fitness blog to keep me motivated :smile: Thank you!
Reply 37
Hellooo,

You do look well proportioned in the fourth picture and I think you're worrying, however, if you are going to do exercise, I wouldn't bother doing slow squats or lunges. If you're going to bother exercising you mayaswell do it right. By squatting as low as possible with a straight back you're working more of the leg muscles, therefore a more effective workout. The only reason they should be slow is if they're heavy, otherwise try to do them with speed.
Reply 38
Shiny Dirt
as others have said, not as bad as you think :smile: you've got a good upper body too
i'd recommend running up and down the stairs- good for the thighs, hurts like hell though so if you do, don't overdo it at first, gradually build it up, i got to a point when i did like 100 up and down a day ha
cycling, squats, lunges and running :smile: and try some boxing

Ah running up and down stairs does kill lol :lol: I did about 5-10 once and felt like my legs were going to drop off haha. This was quite a few years ago so maybe I should get back into doing it :smile: Thank you!

Jose1989
The problem is not your thighs, it's your body image. You have a fantastic figure and the only reason you should want to tone up is for your self esteem. It's healthy to excercise, so do it, just don't get sucked in and too into the idea of losing weight. I would reccomend lots of long walks, cycling, swimming but nothing that builds up muscles (so any of the leg workers weight things in the gym!) and i'm not sure squats would work to make them smaller. Do dancing as well, in heels! It fun and if you're out with your friends etc you wont even realise until your legs kill the next day! Personally, I think (as I've said before) you have a great figure and nothing to worry about. Your legs look healthy and not at all flabby, it's probably mainly muscle so work on liking your figure before embarking on any over the top excercise regime. The whole thing for horribly skinny legs is ridiculous and shapely legs are A LOT more sexy than a pre-pubescent pair that look like they'll snap. think maralyn monroe

Aww thank you :hugs: :biggrin:
Sometimes I don't think my thighs are that bad but I feel guilty when I feel that way because I know it will just make me stop working to get good thighs (I'll just say something like 'oh, they aren't that bad. I do enough exercise anyway! Let's do something else.') and I can't relax like that if I want normal looking thighs :laugh: Thank you again! :smile:

AS Marketing
Everyone has issues with their bodies.... no-one is perfect and I do think you look fine. But if you are really worried then definitely cut your food portions down, small portions work wonders. I'd also recommend a Wii Fit Board, its fun and you definitely can burn off fat. I did.

Ooh I have one! Which exercises did you do? It doesn't do much for me cardio wise because I usually need a bit of a run to get my heart rate up and jogging around my own living room is weird lol (especially since our floor makes everything shake :p:) but it might be good for toning? :confused: Did you do any supplementary exercise with it? Thank you by the way :smile:
Reply 39
Oh my, I love legs like that.. so sexy to have something on ur legs instead of being sticks attached to the body...

Latest