Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long are you suppost to study for a driving theory test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In terms of hours. Say you are a quick learner.

ReputationRep:
    I would say...two days of intense revision, meaning one day a week before the exam , and one day one day before the exam. Go through all the questions in the book and then buy a CD and practise lots of hazard perception

ReputationRep:
    until you know the answers to most of the questions, could be a weekend, could be a month, study yourself and find out.

ReputationRep:
    How longs a piece of string?

I bought the cd tests for the computer an spent about 6 hours in total, done about 4 hazard perceptions. Answered questions on specific topics and then sat a few mock tests and passed. Most of it is common sense or stuff you would have been taught already from your instructor. The trick is to get the ones you don't know cemented in your mind for when they come up. So look at specific questions more than mock tests.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of hours is fine,
    most of it is general knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Are you meant to revise?

I was just gonna read the highway code. I did some past papers and passed them all, isn't it just common sense and know what signs etc mean?

ReputationRep:
    About 4 1/2 hours in total on 8 or so separate occasions.

ReputationRep:
    I did maybe 5 or 6 hours in total. If you do the practice questions on the CD you'll be fine. It's definitely worth doing: a couple of the questions on my exam were in the practice ones I did on the CD.

ReputationRep:
    Er, I didn't. I thought most of it was supposed to be common sense, save the stopping distances etc?

ReputationRep:
    I did about 3 hours a day for 2 weeks before the test then had a break and did 2 hours of hazard perception ( which I found hardest )

It was a good time for me though as exams were out the way so don't let it become more important than revision

Passed first time

ReputationRep:
    I just got the DVD and did the questions again and again and again. Once I started passing the mock tests consistently I knew I was ready. Like people have said most of it is common sense.

Hazard perception is harder though - not quite sure how I managed to pass that.

ReputationRep:
    I practised until I got 10 passes in a row that were above 46/50 (pass is 43).

Hazard perception practice was pants for me, did random every time, but the q's I got in test were on my CD

ReputationRep:
    An evening.

I still don't have a clue what the hazard perception was all about though. Stupidest system ever.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of hours maybe?

It's stupidly easy.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the theory test booklet for about half an hour, and didn't bother finding out about the hazard perception. All you have to do for that is click when something changes, which doesn't require a whole lot of practice.

I didn't at all and got 48/50, if you've been having driving lessons and you don't know enough of it to pass you need to change instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Good question. I studied on and off for a few weeks up until the test. I ended up with 49/50 on the questions and a good mark (can't remeber what LOL) on the HP.

ReputationRep:
    I just flicked through the highway code just checking up on the odd thing I wasn't sure on on the way to my test in the car and the first time I ever encountered the hazard perception was in the test itself :p:

I wouldn't advise this necessarily, but frankly it's all common sense, and if you've already done a bit of driving on the road you should already know the stuff necessary.

ReputationRep:
    If you have got an iTouch or an iPhone then deffo buy the driving theory app from the AA.

ReputationRep:
    get the CD-rom, keep going over the practice questions, you'll be ready in no time

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.