Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who do you believe will be the first to colonize mars? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who will colonizes mars first?
    India
    2.27%
    USA
    40.91%
    EU
    13.64%
    Russia
    10.23%
    China
    32.95%

ReputationRep:
    After reading some interesting article about space and mars colonisation, it is pretty clear that the US have colonized space but who do you believe will be first to colonize mars? I believe it would be chine seeing as their economy is set to grow up to 40 trillion by 2040 (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...23000000000000) and their talks with Russia to explore mars, it seems communist want a planet seeing as undoubtedly USA is the superpower of this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    After reading some interesting article about space and mars colonisation, it is pretty clear that the US have colonized space but who do you believe will be first to colonize mars? I believe it would be chine seeing as their economy is set to grow up to 40 trillion by 2040 (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...23000000000000) and their talks with Russia to explore mars, it seems communist want a planet seeing as undoubtedly USA is the superpower of this one.
    Martians !

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends who can overcome the problems of space radiation etc and have the economy for it which would point towards china probably but i wouldn't discount the EU or the US. Ultimately its more a political thing than anything. Whoever colonises Mars (or any extra terrestrial body really) gains considerable prestige and power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chivalry)
    Well, it depends who can overcome the problems of space radiation etc and have the economy for it which would point towards china probably but i wouldn't discount the EU or the US. Ultimately its more a political thing than anything. Whoever colonises Mars (or any extra terrestrial body really) gains considerable prestige and power.
    I would personally discount the EU, but am sure that the US would do what ever it could to stop China or any other state from passing them in space or mars exploration seeing as they spend $13,780,000,000,000 on military.

ReputationRep:
    Depends which newspaper you believe - probably asylum-seeking terrorists living in five-star hotels stealing our planets grumble grumble grumble...

ReputationRep:
    It will be most likely an international organization from all countries; given a backstabber won't arise who will take the lead on the final moments of the mission. Besides even if it would be say America it's not like the American people actually did something to take merit for it other that donating a percentage of their taxes.

ReputationRep:
    China isn't communist and neither is Russia.

You failed immensely.

ReputationRep:
    USA, and then Russia will get pissed and start bombing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

You failed immensely.
    Yes, I knew that. It was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    India is an option? Really?
    When it comes to space exploration, I don't think India is nearly on par with the likes of the US and Russia.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Bacteria - in 2005 the US confessed that it had probably contaminated Mars after finding bacillus endospores on a Mars probe

ReputationRep:
    As it is that far into the future, and assuming Europe has become federal, I would predict the European Union. It is currently the largest economy, if you have a fully federal Europe, you just don't stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

You failed immensely.
    And China is offically labeled communist by the west.

ReputationRep:
    And China is offically labeled communist by the west.
    China is perhaps the most capitalist country in the world right now, it is labelled as communist by the West because 'communism' according to the them is wrong and evil. Americans believe that China will become the new Soviet Union thanks to this CNN propaganda, when in actual fact China is just as, if not more capitalist than the US.

ReputationRep:
    Techpriests?
    No?
    I'll just go then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegoodthebadandtheTom)
    Techpriests?
    No?
    I'll just go then...
    40K ...?

Also what about the aliens who already live there?

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one.

ReputationRep:
    the US has probably already claimed rights to be the first on mars just like they claimed rights to first contact (even though first contact has been made unofficially already)

ReputationRep:
    wait...what..? space has been colonised??

ReputationRep:
    The United Federation of Planets

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.