Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    RH isn't actually in London, it's in Egham in Surrey. It's about an hour on a commuter train and the trains finish really early, so it's not like you would be able to go to London regularly for nights out. Staines is the nearest town to Egham I believe.
    ha staines. fuuuun..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    aha yeah but dont think theres much surf in portsmouth, its all harbour lol. im applying for english, what did you apply at RH for?
    History, but I doubt i'll take there offer, I have one from UCL, plus still waiting on 3 more. Yeah I guess, but my honest opinion, as someone else has said, is that Plymouth is a dive, and I avoid it will all my life, despite it being closer to Exeter than Bristol, if I for whatever reason need to go to a big City, its Bristol hands down.

ReputationRep:
    RH isn't actually in London, it's in Egham in Surrey. It's about an hour on a commuter train and the trains finish really early, so it's not like you would be able to go to London regularly for nights out. Staines is the nearest town to Egham I believe.
    :ditto: this - last train back to Egham from Waterloo is about half 11 so not late at all.

Social life is what you make at RHUL - Egham's not exactly a busy place and has a number of pubs. Staines and Windsor are better. Tbh there's nothing in Egham during the day....

Portsmouth's a pretty active place for a social life but it's somewhere locals tend to avoid (if they have any sense) at night.

Plymouth - sailor town, very similar to Portsmouth AFAIK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakaNeko)
    Hey! I'm going to Portsmouth. Haven't been there, but heard and read a lot. Firstly, it's on the seaside, and I understood that the beach is some 15 minutes from the city centre. And I understood that there are plenty of clubs, pubs, bars in the city, and an active Student Union, so the social life seems quite good, too.
    Personally, I love it without even having ever been there Maybe that isn't right. Not sure.
    yeah ive heard some good stuff. but then its just all stuff ive heard so who knows what its actually like? are you going to visit it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    History, but I doubt i'll take there offer, I have one from UCL, plus still waiting on 3 more. Yeah I guess, but my honest opinion, as someone else has said, is that Plymouth is a dive, and I avoid it will all my life, despite it being closer to Exeter than Bristol, if I for whatever reason need to go to a big City, its Bristol hands down.
    okey doke cheers for the info
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Correct.

Fairly crap area IMO.

Although not too far from windsor, which is nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixiePlumber)
    Portsmouth's apparently a good uni or so I've heard. It's all across the city and there's plenty here to do, but it's full of chavs. You have loads of places to go out. A variation of different pubs and clubs, a lot of which near some of the halls and the city centre. It's not got great shopping compared to places but it's fine.

And it's close to the beach... a nice stony beach....

But overall it's a nice place, some areas can be a bit iffy at night, but nothing more than any other city
    apparently everywhere i wanna go is full of chavs! lol thats not good. cheers

ReputationRep:
    Based on how good the uni is I'd say go for RHUL. But for the area/nightlife, Portsmouth is probably better from what I've heard, but I've not actually been. Don't know much about Plymouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakaNeko)
    Firstly, it's on the seaside, and I understood that the beach is some 15 minutes from the city centre. And I understood that there are plenty of clubs, pubs, bars in the city, and an active Student Union, so the social life seems quite good, too.
    This. The beach is about a 15 minute walk from the city centre. It's pebbles, but sand once you're further out in the water. Clubs/pubs etc are good, not sure about the student union. I have friends at the uni who all seem to enjoy their courses (including one reading English Literature).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    :ditto: this - last train back to Egham from Waterloo is about half 11 so not late at all.

Social life is what you make at RHUL - Egham's not exactly a busy place and has a number of pubs. Staines and Windsor are better. Tbh there's nothing in Egham during the day....

Portsmouth's a pretty active place for a social life but it's somewhere locals tend to avoid (if they have any sense) at night.

Plymouth - sailor town, very similar to Portsmouth AFAIK
    11pm?! thats when i wake up to go out! lol well thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    apparently everywhere i wanna go is full of chavs! lol thats not good. cheers
    Not a lot more than most other cities though, I bet any resident will say their city is full of chavs. I mean I spent my life here and I've not had much trouble. Only a few times when in my school uniform back in the days

ReputationRep:
    RHUL firm

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth!!! then you can meet me & we can have sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    portsmouth!!! then you can meet me & we can have sex
    aha thanks for your help on this:p: :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    RHUL is not that far from Legoland. Surely that's a reason to go in itself :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    RHUL is not that far from Legoland. Surely that's a reason to go in itself :p:
    hahaha Legoland= Firm!

ReputationRep:
    RoHo easily.
    Plymouth is dirt
    portsmouth is full of white trash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    11pm?! thats when i wake up to go out! lol well thanks for the info
    No worries - Egham will seem like a total dead dive if you're coming from Brighton

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah, my mistake, I keep thinking it's in London since it's a part of UoL :p:

(Original post by Zee Z)
    hahaha Legoland= Firm!
    I've never had an issue with chavs and I'm from the area outside of Plymouth so been there a lot. As someone else said I'd say it has no more chavs than many other towns and the ones around don't usually cause trouble other than insisting on Plymouth their god damn awful music loudly as they walk through town.

Plymouth not amazing but it's not as bad as a lot of people have made out. The Barbican there is lovely - specially in the summer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.