Turn on thread page Beta

Plymouth, Royal Holloway or Portsmouth?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If being in a nice place is the most important, go RHUL.
    If nightlife is important, go Portsmouth.

Don't go plymouth.

(Original post by Zee Z)
    oh no! i didnt know plymouth was like that? i thought with it being cornwall and all it might be more chav-less than other places Beach is a big deal, i cant live without the sea, which royal holloway doesnt have.

Did u visit RH at all? and yeah i heard social life there is pretty rubbish x
    It's in Devon, and it's not that bad. I live here, I should know! Beach is a half an hour drive away, the sea is a 10 minute walk away, the social life is NOT as bad as everyone is making it out to be, plenty of good places to go (there's one dodgy end though) and the Barbican and the Hoe are amazing.

RHUL as your firm, definitely, better place to have a degree from, UoL, etc. It's not really in London though, half an hour train ride away. Portsmouth is an all right place to be, but I don't think the uni is ranked very highly (Plymouth isn't massively great either).

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 3 I would say Portsmouth suits your 'needs' better.

- Plymouth is just so far away from anywhere else remotely 'big' and as already mentioned many times in the thread, it is a bit of a dive.

- RHUL looks amazing, and I very nearly applied to do History there. It's just the inflated London prices and the fact it is situated out of the action that makes it far less appealing than it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    yeah ive heard some good stuff. but then its just all stuff ive heard so who knows what its actually like? are you going to visit it?

Nay I'm from Latvia, and that's quite a distance. I would have wanted to see it, though. But I have already decided and firmed it, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakaNeko)
    Nay I'm from Latvia, and that's quite a distance. I would have wanted to see it, though. But I have already decided and firmed it, anyway.
    yeah quite a way for a days visit lol. well ive mostly been swayed to portsmouth i have to say. I'll look into it more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    I've never had an issue with chavs and I'm from the area outside of Plymouth so been there a lot. As someone else said I'd say it has no more chavs than many other towns and the ones around don't usually cause trouble other than insisting on Plymouth their god damn awful music loudly as they walk through town.

Plymouth not amazing but it's not as bad as a lot of people have made out. The Barbican there is lovely - specially in the summer
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    yeah quite a way for a days visit lol. well ive mostly been swayed to portsmouth i have to say. I'll look into it more
    Cool Then maybe we'll meet.

ReputationRep:
    portsmouth is a good place i guess
    there is the beach which is not far from the city centre
    lots of clubs and the shopping is decent
    it's about 30 mins away from southampton and its not too far from brighton
    and its about 1hr 30 min from london.
    i dont know about the other places but portsmouth is pretty good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Figo077)
    RHUL looks amazing, and I very nearly applied to do History there. It's just the inflated London prices and the fact it is situated out of the action that makes it far less appealing than it could be.
    I wouldn't worry - you've honestly not missed much by not applying there (for History anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    I wouldn't worry - you've honestly not missed much by not applying there (for History anyway)
    Really? Or was that meant to be ironic? lol... In any case, what do you think of my actual choices? (In signature).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakaNeko)
    Cool Then maybe we'll meet.
    yaah who knows! depends of course on whether i major suck on exams and cant get in anywhere haha hope exams go well for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Figo077)
    Really? Or was that meant to be ironic? lol... In any case, what do you think of my actual choices? (In signature).
    Yes really And I do mean that - far better departments elsewhere.

Southampton and Warwick have the best departments out of those 5 - UEA is good for US stuff I believe, Leeds has a pretty good rep too. Tbh I don't know THAT much about Liverpool - their course looks good but would say it's not the best you could choose. It comes down to what you're most interested in as UEA, Soton, Warwick and Leeds all have specialiaties, Liverpool (like Manchester) rarely stands out in my own experience (am currently applying for a PhD in History)

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    oh no! i didnt know plymouth was like that? i thought with it being cornwall and all it might be more chav-less than other places Beach is a big deal, i cant live without the sea, which royal holloway doesnt have.

Plymouth isn't like that, hes being a ****. I go to plymouth uni, and whilst ther are chavs like any other place, most of them aren't around the uni. It doesn't smell, the night life is pretty damn good. And whilst it's not really like cornwall (being no beach and all) it still is really nice down by the sea and the barbican. Also, it's only like 50 mins from Newquay and only 10 mins from the neartest beach.

I expect the majority of people who are saying that Plymouth is a **** hole etc. Haven't spent a great deal of time there, as it really isn't. It has it's bad areas like any other place, but there are some really nice parts.

ReputationRep:
    Portsmouth is a pretty skank area with the exception of Gunwharf Quays which is basically walled off from the rest of the city and it's full of chavs and creeps at nighttime, I wouldn't want to live there for an extended period of time.

Though I've also heard RHUL has pretty poor night/social life.

Not a clue about Plymouth but it sounds like it's pretty similar to Portsmouth :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Plymouth isn't like that, hes being a ****. I go to plymouth uni, and whilst ther are chavs like any other place, most of them aren't around the uni. It doesn't smell, the night life is pretty damn good. And whilst it's not really like cornwall (being no beach and all) it still is really nice down by the sea and the barbican. Also, it's only like 50 mins from Newquay and only 10 mins from the neartest beach.

I expect the majority of people who are saying that Plymouth is a **** hole etc. Haven't spent a great deal of time there, as it really isn't. It has it's bad areas like any other place, but there are some really nice parts.
    thankyou! i was hoping it is better than people have said

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT got to Plymouth!!! I live there and cant wait to leave. Its disgusting. There is no 'good area' really, unless you go to the north outskirts like derriford and beyond which you obviously wont do as your a student! (i live in derriford )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)

There are no beaches in plymouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Plymouth is a **** hole. It's horrible, not very nice, looks ugly, smells, and is full of chavs. On the other hand, it's close to Exeter, which is nice, and the beach. Not fantastic social life, but perhaps better than RH.

Royal Holloway (I have applied here too) You've got the wonderful area it's in, but with questionable social life.

Don't know about Portsmouth.

x
    portsmouth is a reli nice place - i go down there every summer (i live in london)

why not just go to UCL though if you've got the offer?

happy huntings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    There are no beaches in plymouth.
    No, but there not far away. I live in Plymouth too. I really don't think it's that bad at all. I guess if you have lived her all your life, you would want to move away. It's not somewhere that I would want to settle. But for university, it's pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Royal Holloway as your firm and Plymouth as your insurance.
    Plymouth is not a **** hole. Coming from there, I should no. Obviously, like any city, you've got your rough areas, which you won't need to go to because none of the uni buildings or city centre buildings are in these areas.
    The Barbican and Plymouth Hoe are both really nice places, especially in the summer. I recommend you visit for an open day and roam around the city, The Barbican and The Hoe as well as checking out the uni.
    As for the social life, there's plenty of clubs and bars. You won't be short of a night out as I believe there is a student night every night of the week in one club or another.
    Hope I've been of help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.