Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway is probably the better respected of the three overall and for English, but it depends on how much you want that city nightlife. You get a lot of people at the SU and the bars on campus but a lot of people (esp. first years) go home for the weekend. I lived in Founders Hall in my first year and that was fun though, but as others have stated the social life is what you make of it and depends on the friends you make etc.

The campus is very self-contained and cut off from the surrounding world, and the local town (Egham) is dull as anything. Staines is up the road and its town centre isn't *too* bad. Windsor is close, but rather expensive and (surprisingly) chavvy. If you can get a decent-sized group of friends together, a night out in Kingston using a minibus taxi for transport isn't too expensive per person, and Kingston has the best local nightlife.

My cousin went to Plymouth and has told me that it's a bit of a dive. I don't speak from personal experience there however.

Portsmouth I have heard has got less dangerous in recent years but has an awful reputation for being a violent city made up mainly of council estates. Naturally I'd say this as I'm from Southampton, but my own experience of Portsmouth has been a bit :lolwut: Its uni I have been told is OK. If you go, avoid places like Somers Town.

Royal Holloway is the best looking uni and the best rated of the three (at least it was back when I applied in 2006 - it has slipped in some areas since but is still strong on traditional academic subjects).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Yes really And I do mean that - far better departments elsewhere.

Southampton and Warwick have the best departments out of those 5 - UEA is good for US stuff I believe, Leeds has a pretty good rep too. Tbh I don't know THAT much about Liverpool - their course looks good but would say it's not the best you could choose. It comes down to what you're most interested in as UEA, Soton, Warwick and Leeds all have specialiaties, Liverpool (like Manchester) rarely stands out in my own experience (am currently applying for a PhD in History)

Best of luck
    What problems did you have with the RHUL history department? I'm there now and haven't had any major problems apart from a lack of variety in courses.

ReputationRep:
    RHUL is by far the best academically out of those three but as other people here have mentioned the social life is dubious and Egham is dull as hell (I lived there for a year when I was younger). Plus if you want to go into LDN for a night out, you'll be paying obscene amounts to get back to Egham at like 3am, it's not really worth it.

Plymouth really isn't as ****** as people here are saying, I live in Torquay when not at University which is about 30 miles away, so I'm pretty familiar with Plymouth. Over like the past ten years they've basically revamped the city center, built a new shopping mall and cleaned it all up and it's now one of the nicest city centers I've been to. The uni also has some student halls right at the top of the main high street which would be amazing to live in. The university itself though isn't that great and the estates around Plymouth can be a bit dicey aswell, which is something to contemplate for 2nd/3rd years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    The university itself though isn't that great and the estates around Plymouth can be a bit dicey aswell, which is something to contemplate for 2nd/3rd years.
    To be fair, this is rubbish (well the second bit is anyway).

I'm a third year Plymouth student and have lived in private accommodation (houses) all three year. You simply don't live anywhere near the 'estates' you are referring to.

Houses right next to the uni are not hard to come by and they are relatively cheap. All within walking distance of the town centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kafka is magic)
    To be fair, this is rubbish (well the second bit is anyway).

I'm a third year Plymouth student and have lived in private accommodation (houses) all three year. You simply don't live anywhere near the 'estates' you are referring to.

Houses right next to the uni are not hard to come by and they are relatively cheap. All within walking distance of the town centre.
    I didn't say you had to, just that some estates on Plymouth are dicey and it's best to avoid them. I don't personally have a clue where 2nd/3rd years tend to live, having not gone to Plymouth uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, the student houses are not in the ropey areas. They are in areas that are occupied mostly by students and are all very student friendly. You will never accidentally stumble into a dodgy area unless you make a special deliberate trip to go to one (not that a student would have any reason to) and it's nowhere near as rough as other cities.

ReputationRep:
    My mate goes RH, she loves it. The social life is quiet, but what you make it. Mainly focused around pubs or house parties.

I love Portsmouth, anything you need to know in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    thats true, it is gorgeous. but i read some stuff about trains to london from RH are rubbish. Also london prices are a stretch for a brighton girl lol, is it a lot more expensive round there do u think?
    There are two fast trains (and two regular trains) an hour to Waterloo from Egham station. Heathrow is also close by and you can get the Piccadilly line from there! Its really not that horrendous.

And the benefit of Egham is that rent will be far cheaper than what you will find in London zones 1-4.

I love being at Royal Holloway. Granted, its not really for students who like to hit the clubs every night and crave non-stop noise and parties. But how often do you really see yourself going mad? Stick with the campus and your clubs/societies during the week and hit the capital on the weekends! Also there are really good places around Surrey to have fun, its doesnt have to be London - you got Kingston, Twickenham and Richmond within easy reach which are lovely areas with great bars/pubs.

ReputationRep:
    I hear bad things from Plymouth. Deffo Royal Holloway has the better rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Luk)
    I hear bad things from Plymouth. Deffo Royal Holloway has the better rep.
    Plymouth isn't bad at all! I've lived here all my life, and yes, there are chavs, druggies and bums. There's also a new mall, awesome night life and some pretty impressive views. It's 20 minutes from Dartmoor, only 1 hour from Exeter.

What bad things have you heard, because I guarantee that Portsmouth will be just as "bad." :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BakaNeko)
    Hey! I'm going to Portsmouth. Haven't been there, but heard and read a lot. Firstly, it's on the seaside, and I understood that the beach is some 15 minutes from the city centre. And I understood that there are plenty of clubs, pubs, bars in the city, and an active Student Union, so the social life seems quite good, too.
    Personally, I love it without even having ever been there Maybe that isn't right. Not sure.
    Nope, I think this is right I visited there and as soon as I looked around, I knew straight away it was for me. I'm firming it By far the best uni I've visited.

ReputationRep:
    RHUL's night life isn't actually that bad.
    Every week there is at least one coach trip to a club in London for £15 (includes coach there and back and queue jump, which is a bargain, tbh!). There are SU nights every Wednesday and Friday. Also, Liquid in Windsor is free before 11pm with NUS card on Thursdays, and if you get a group of you a cab only costs £2 per person (£4 altogether).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStaah)
    RHUL's night life isn't actually that bad.
    Every week there is at least one coach trip to a club in London for £15 (includes coach there and back and queue jump, which is a bargain, tbh!). There are SU nights every Wednesday and Friday. Also, Liquid in Windsor is free before 11pm with NUS card on Thursdays, and if you get a group of you a cab only costs £2 per person (£4 altogether).
    Also sometimes DJs play in Medicine (excuse the spelling) when its not a union night (I'm tech crew). Like thursday this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    portsmouth is a reli nice place - i go down there every summer (i live in london)

why not just go to UCL though if you've got the offer?

happy huntings
    Because i've not heard back from Bristol, Durham or Warwick yet, and out of those 3 and UCL i've not decided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zee Z)
    Hey, just wondering if anyone can help or has any opinions?!

I really can't choose between Plymouth, Portsmouth or Royal Holloway for my firm and insurance choices. I don't really know enough about the places, as i haven't been able to visit them and have never been to these areas?

Anyone got any info on the lifestyles there or any info on how good the unis are? Ive been accepted for english at all three.

Mucho appreciation to anyone who says anything lol
    Depending on what you want they have different strengths. Personally I would eliminate Plymouth as there's little there.

Portsmouth - Good social life, lower in the league tables

Royal Holloway - Decent in the league tables but in the middle of nowhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Because i've not heard back from Bristol, Durham or Warwick yet, and out of those 3 and UCL i've not decided.
    ohhh i see

good luck anyway mate :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Portsmouth all my life and whilst the uni is lower down in the league tables than RHUL, it is still very good and has plenty of resources. Library's good, my only real problem with the uni is that it is quite spread out and I still find it hard to find certain buildings, but my mum went there and she learnt pretty quickly. Shopping's quite good, plenty of night-life, good transport links, etc. People say the beach is all stony and rubbish, but there is nothing like an afternoon on Southsea Common in the sun. Sometimes I think it's a bit rubbish but that's because I've lived here forever :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)

Royal Holloway - Decent in the league tables but in the middle of nowhere
    Yes its not in london and yes Egham is small but its not the middle of nowhere...to be the middle of nowhere it would have to take a considerable time to get to anywhere of note

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    ohhh i see

good luck anyway mate :yes:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gm15)
    Also sometimes DJs play in Medicine (excuse the spelling) when its not a union night (I'm tech crew). Like thursday this week.
    Saturday is Antidote at Medicine, which is pretty good if you like club music. One of my friends was a DJ there last year and another guy I know is doing it this year. It's usually a decent night but the dance floor is far too small.

(Original post by Antonia87)
    There are two fast trains (and two regular trains) an hour to Waterloo from Egham station. Heathrow is also close by and you can get the Piccadilly line from there! Its really not that horrendous.

And the benefit of Egham is that rent will be far cheaper than what you will find in London zones 1-4.

I love being at Royal Holloway. Granted, its not really for students who like to hit the clubs every night and crave non-stop noise and parties. But how often do you really see yourself going mad? Stick with the campus and your clubs/societies during the week and hit the capital on the weekends! Also there are really good places around Surrey to have fun, its doesnt have to be London - you got Kingston, Twickenham and Richmond within easy reach which are lovely areas with great bars/pubs.
    You're a first year in halls, right?

You'd actually be surprised at how high rent is in the Egham area - it's more than Kingston, to take an example. I also feel that more of the local private accommodation is becoming geared towards wealthy international students these days, and average rent prices are rising. I'd suggest that the two are related but that makes me sound intolerant.

It's also scary how small Egham is. Everyone (who isn't a student) seems to know everyone else, especially on the estates. I know too many random people in Egham by their first name just from working there. :sigh:

I'd still recommend the uni over Portsmouth or Plymouth though, purely on the basis of its academic performance. Also, it looks fantastic in the snow, and Windsor Great Park is just up the road.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.