Turn on thread page Beta

predictions for the AQA A2 SCLY3 exam on 22nd January for beliefs in society? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the link?

ReputationRep:
    fuuuuck im scared.. how was the january one fo people that did it?

my school dont do them. pisses me off

ReputationRep:
    january looked so hard, thank god didnt sit that paper would have failed. I'm scared now i'm gunna fail tomorrow. Ready 5 more essay plans twice then waking up at 9am to read them all 9 plans for a further 2/3 times. I'm hopin secularisation gender ethnicty sects nrms and nams come up. I'd love that paper. But anything about social change and sicnece would kill me.

ReputationRep:
    please help me...

what is science and reigion as a belief system??

the only time science has come up in my sociology lessons is for unit 4 , sociology as a science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad3k)
    january looked so hard, thank god didnt sit that paper would have failed. I'm scared now i'm gunna fail tomorrow. Ready 5 more essay plans twice then waking up at 9am to read them all 9 plans for a further 2/3 times. I'm hopin secularisation gender ethnicty sects nrms and nams come up. I'd love that paper. But anything about social change and sicnece would kill me.
    Hey, seriously dont worry, sec wil probs come up as it didn't in Jan, the Jan paper was okay, social change however DID come up as well as a choice on social groups! i thiink gender may have come up as well cant really remember! but that paper was okay, got 1 mark of an A! it's the crime/methods and theory paper which is REALLY AWFULLY SCARY!!!! coming up in 11 days! good luckk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saffron.coco)
    please help me...

what is science and reigion as a belief system??

the only time science has come up in my sociology lessons is for unit 4 , sociology as a science

Thats introduces 3 types of definitions of religion, substantive, functional and polythetic. Then it goes on to talk about totems and amnism and Durkheims view of Totems. The elightenment period in 18th Century, of the emergence of scientific ways of thinking. Talks about buddhism having no god but still classes as a religion. Looks at types of religion like witchcraft and debate whether or not should be regarded as religion or science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad3k)

God how can you hope sects would come up? lol

when talking about globalisation as a negative thing on religion(ie assess relationship between globaln and religion) fundamentalism is a negative aspect of globalisation for religion isn't it but this is starting to not sound right as fundamn is a strong form of religion (v strong)

am i thinking too much into this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting this exam. fingers crossed for a science/religion question. by sounds of it, only person hoping for it.

I don't have a clue what Sad3k is going on about though, never learnt that lol! We just did 'science is supposed to be... objective etc etc' but it is not cos of: falsification (popper), paradigm shifts (khun), heisenberg's uncertainty principle etc, so it's more of a belief system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiec678)
    God how can you hope sects would come up? lol

when talking about globalisation as a negative thing on religion(ie assess relationship between globaln and religion) fundamentalism is a negative aspect of globalisation for religion isn't it but this is starting to not sound right as fundamn is a strong form of religion (v strong)

am i thinking too much into this?
    glibalisation and religion you'd link it to all areas, itsa more about social change how we have advanced in modern technology and people are deviating from the tradtion norm of mainstream religionyet you can argue globalisation has a positive effect and then bring fundamentalism arguing that with enlightenment period of developing scientific thinking, we are able to think of new ideas towards religion, but with many ideas coming about and no possible truth we end up back into religion. Yet how do we define rleigion? Sects like Toemism and Amnism may be regarded as a religion to some but not to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inseriousity.)
    I'm resitting this exam. fingers crossed for a science/religion question. by sounds of it, only person hoping for it
    im hoping for one too. only an 18 marker cant speak alot about it. i want science then ehtnicty or secualrisation as the 33 marker. I'd be in heaven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad3k)
    im hoping for one too. only an 18 marker cant speak alot about it. i want science then ehtnicty or secualrisation as the 33 marker. I'd be in heaven
    Why does everybody want ethnicity to come up lol? I swer theres only so much you can write about i.e bruce cultural defence and transition!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikei)
    Why does everybody want ethnicity to come up lol? I swer theres only so much you can write about i.e bruce cultural defence and transition!?
    You could relate to your peers, ywho particpate more in religion, and then talk about how when asian people came had to build temples blacks came even though both christians were not accepted by church and therefore had to build new churches which now is the increasing religion in the UK, protestant churches, 1/6 people that attend church are in fact Black, comparing to how many black are in the country compared to white. Yet it can be argued there has been an increase in Catholic church attendance with the rise in Eastern European Migration.
    Then you can include 2nd generation muslims (madood), cultural hybridity mixing cultures together, bring in the Veil how it oppresses women although thats more gender u can tyr relate it to arab people. Theres so much you can talk about.

Also include the statistics of those more likely to attend church under 15 because born into, pressure to attend church by parents and sunday schools, but 15-19 has seen voerall decline, why? due to advancements in thecnology, argue that the internet has provided us with ideas of new religions out there, as well as Athesism, argue back many recognise athesism as not a religion because your believing in a god, yet Buddhists who are religions have no gods. Can argue muslim women see education as a way of escaping cultrual norms and values. Yet this is affecting them when they return to source countries. You can argue about Ramj's research where men see it as if they fail to fulfill the role of the breadwinner then people regard this as harem.
    Argue for afro-carribean people rleigion is seen as a way fo coping with racism, and threats, or violence. Argue many teenagers in modernized cities in the UK have a high rate of Black Crime from youths, yet now there attending church their are moving away from the violence and back into their faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inseriousity.)
    I'm resitting this exam. fingers crossed for a science/religion question. by sounds of it, only person hoping for it.

I don't have a clue what Sad3k is going on about though, never learnt that lol! We just did 'science is supposed to be... objective etc etc' but it is not cos of: falsification (popper), paradigm shifts (khun), heisenberg's uncertainty principle etc, so it's more of a belief system.
    isnt falsification and popper/kun under theory with sociology as a science not religion science and ideology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad3k)
    isnt falsification and popper/kun under theory with sociology as a science not religion science and ideology?
    They overlap! That's why I want it to come up.

You can say science is a belief system because of falsification etc.
    You can also criticise science in the 'sociology as a science' with the same thing. That's why I love it lol

ReputationRep:
    good luck every1 going to college now exam is at 2. study on the bus i guess. Really panicking now. Hope I get a C or a B in this paper

ReputationRep:
    how did people find it?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think it went too badly my main downfall was lack of feminist name on the 33 marker i sould only remember daly and i know wilson was a feminist in the other exam so when i was evaluating i just added names from other theories and i just hope they dont mind i only put in daly and wilson from feminist perpective!
    i presumed the 18 marker was on a bit of secularisation and a bit of participation and new age movement? well i added those in anyway and mainly talked about new age movements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screaming_pickle)
    I didnt think it went too badly my main downfall was lack of feminist name on the 33 marker i sould only remember daly and i know wilson was a feminist in the other exam so when i was evaluating i just added names from other theories and i just hope they dont mind i only put in daly and wilson from feminist perpective!
    i presumed the 18 marker was on a bit of secularisation and a bit of participation and new age movement? well i added those in anyway and mainly talked about new age movements
    Yeh im sure u did the right thing lol in the feminism question the only feminist i spoke about was sadaawi i think , but spoke more about evidence of patriachy and evaluated it thoroughly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikei)
    Yeh im sure u did the right thing lol in the feminism question the only feminist i spoke about was sadaawi i think , but spoke more about evidence of patriachy and evaluated it thoroughly
    yeah i did a lot of evaluation but some people i talked to only did feminism and wrote about nothing else! they said it was because it said explain rather than assess but i thouht it said assess and for a 33 marker im sure you are supposed to evauate anyway, its an evaluation question!

the 9 marker was was the best that could have come up!

ReputationRep:
    i found it really hard panicked as soon as i saw sects and cults i genuinely did hardly anything on these and still don't really know what they are.. why are sects likely to be short lived?! ergh so glad its over though i seemed to be one of few people who chose the science question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.