Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

predictions for the AQA A2 SCLY3 exam on 22nd January for beliefs in society? watch

ReputationRep:
    Nooo i prefer the theories >.< Fuctionalism, postmodernism, feminism, marxism. Any others that i should know about?

ReputationRep:
    Neo-Marxism? Weberian? Interpretivism?

I'm really lost on postmodernism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alecangeltess)
    Neo-Marxism? Weberian? Interpretivism?

I'm really lost on postmodernism.
    postmodernism basically says that metanarratives such as religion has lost its influence on people's thinking etc in the postmodern society. which is one of th e reasons for the growth of NAMs and NRMs where it could a show some form of resacrilisation as a response to the insititutions watering down thei religiosity. People can now pick and mix, benefit from DIY cocktail. use concepts such as spritiual shoppers, diversity, pluralism etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Basicly society and religion has fragmented into little bits and the church no longer has a stronghold over right and wrong or social change / conservative force.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. Pretty terrified about if it was a 33 marker though.

Good progress today though, secularisation revision is underway. I need to write out recaps of the Theories stuff/change stuff and religiosity stuff. Still need to revise Religion Science and Ideology stuff (Friday AM!). As for NRMS/NAMs, gah. I just can't see what sort of question could be given. May not have time to revise it properly. Eek. I guess I could twist it round the religiosity stuff if it came to it.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to re-take this exam in June?

ReputationRep:
    Question, Do questions like "Is religion a science" have a chance of comming up in this exam? Or is that a differnt unit

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any part papers?? or have any questions they know came up last year.. there none on the website?

ReputationRep:
    I started revision yesterday..as I had soc repeat to revise for (Ed and Methods) Thank god it went brilliantly. Now I'm worried tho..I've covered 1 and 2 on syllabus. But now theres only one day left..and the final three are the largest sections on the syllabus...ADVICE...PLLLLEASE!

ReputationRep:
    I've been told by both my teachers that Science and Ideology is likely to come up :/
    I hope it does i've revised it the most!

ReputationRep:
    I'm majorly panicking about this exam! It usually all ends up clicking a week or three before hand but it hasnt aaaaah!!! Oh well, retakes for me in the summer it is....

And um, wtf is science and ideology?? is that like theory? you guys arent helping on the panic scale lol

marissa xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rissa14)
    I'm majorly panicking about this exam! It usually all ends up clicking a week or three before hand but it hasnt aaaaah!!! Oh well, retakes for me in the summer it is....

And um, wtf is science and ideology?? is that like theory? you guys arent helping on the panic scale lol

marissa xx
    Hey,
    Science and Ideology is new to the cirriculum as far as I know, its to do with science and ideology as belief systems.
    Tried to find a good link to online revision to help you but I can't find any. I would google if I were you..:/

ReputationRep:
    I would absolutely love for Science and Ideology to come up. I've spent all day making sure I am happy with it and I find it far more interesting to write about than the typical, drab secularisation questions.

EDIT:
    Although, something along the lines of 'Evaluate Functionalist theories on the role of religion" would be pretty fantastic. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyer)
    I would absolutely love for Science and Ideology to come up. I've spent all day making sure I am happy with it and I find it far more interesting to write about than the typical, drab secularisation questions.

EDIT:
    Although, something along the lines of 'Evaluate Functionalist theories on the role of religion" would be pretty fantastic. :P

I agree completely!

ReputationRep:
    There definitelly will not be a whole essay on science and ideology, the worst topic is social change which may come up, however last years paper was a secularisation 33marker so it would be surprising if it comes up again.

ReputationRep:
    how do you know sience and ideology essaqy will definetely not come up?

ReputationRep:
    it's not possible for a whole essay just to be on science and ideology! its such a minor lil topic, there may be a 9 marker on it though. well thats what my department told us. learn it anyway so you can include in in your essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -CG-)
    I agree completely!
    Agreed, a question like that means that i can just write about everything and anything :') Postmodernism, neo-marxists, marxists,feminists,fuctionalists . God i hope they ask that :P

Or the social change question, im rather good with that as well (y)

ReputationRep:
    what exactly is ideology again? aren't the 5 perspectives ideologies? obviously i know the definition but what is on the topic?! ahhh how can everyone find social change such a good topic, it's my worst and hardest one! the "how is religion a force for change" bit. ahhh

ReputationRep:
    I think we'll all be fine. I never revise until the night before an exam, and to be fully honest I wasn't confident in either of my last two exams. I couldn't remember most of the names of the sociologists and yet I STILL got full marks. You all sound mega prepared, so you'll definitely be fine! (DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDING MY METHOD, THOUGH!)
    As far as predictions go, I have no idea, but I find having a short list of keywords and their meanings / sociologists and their topic + ideas definitely helps.
    All I can say is good luck! x x x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.