The Student Room Group

predictions for the AQA A2 SCLY3 exam on 22nd January for beliefs in society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
hte predictions i put were completely different to what was in the paper although secularisation did touch on question 1B but not an actual essay on it. i was so hoping for social change and secularisation questions

the 18marker was a nightmare, i never tackled such question before especially when it was a about personal ad private matter, all i remember writing was about davie belief without belonging and the decline in church attendance etc, desacrilsation and rationalisation postmodernism with the concepts of individualism, diy cocktail, pick and mix spiritual shoppers. I then at the end i said it depends on which social groups would see it being a personal and private matter. ethnic minorities using it for cultural defence and transition may not see it a private matter etc etc. middle class students may seek NAMs such as TM or scientology to find the inner self for achieving success in the secular world show it could be private for them to search for spirituality. I then moved onto fundamentalist where i argued that it may not be private for certain parts of the world where religiosity and spirituality is the central of society hence islamic fundamentalist estates. i then talked about civil religion. i cant remember the rest, i forgot to use heelas and the kendal project argh!! oh i realised that i also talked about the process disengagement where religiosity and spirituality has ben separate from wider society etc etc

i hope all these a relevant people!?

I did the question whether the main function of religious beliefs were to promote social stability

i knew very well but i was a bit iffy on how to structure it as you could write huge amounts of it

so i started writing about functionalism with the works of durkheim value consensus etc. malinowski showing that religious beliefs can function to promote stability as it help people cope with stress and anxiety. criticised saying that it may not provide social solidarity if there is plurality of competing religions, conflicts then provided quite a few of contemporary example where i was recommended by an AQA examiner when they came to my college and did a boring lecture.

i then used other theories to criticise that it may not function for stability but to reinforce r/c ideology ie marxism, and support patriarchy etc. then evaluated those theories as well in addition with using neo marxism etc

then i moved onto assess whether it still is the main function in contemporary society. I used globalisation where some may find the current world is evil and corrupt etc etc. the increase in scientific teachings etc etc. then an increase in world rejecting sects, fundamentalism(iran revolution, 9/11, new christian right) has increased as a response to globalisation where they try to revive the main functions of religion to provide stability etc etc etc. i think i wrote about postmodernism as well

i again showed that the main function to promote stability depends on which social groups. working class may see this to provide a theodicy of disprivilege.

Is this good? anyone tell me? i used a lot of sociological concepts and names etc as well.

the main problem for me is i use to write too much detail and less on AO2 of evaluation interpretation analysis and application in the A2 style essays. this time i emphasized more on AO2 and not as much detail as use to write which made me get a lower mark.
Reply 121
for question 1a i put

plurality of competing religions
desacrilisation rationalisation..i think
then i put that traditional religion has watered down their beliefs

are those relevant and right when i explained them?
Ahhhh the time was rubbish for this exam!!no time to think..2 hours would have been ideal!
Reply 123
I wrote 13 and a half sides somehow :| and in the last 15 minutes i struggled to find anything else to write for question 2..
Question: By religion supporting rulling class values is it not also creating stabilty at the same time? even though its at the cost of the working class of course
Reply 125
yeah but they are not aware of the exploitation due to false class consciousness so they think that it creating stability.
My teacher has vaguely reassured me that they may mark Question 2 as a perspectives essay since it could be taken two ways.
Reply 127
there's 50million ways to get a high grade in an essay so
i don't think they will just mark it by looking at perspectives as long as its relevant and you are interpreting,applying and analysing it effectively on what you're trying to say.

of course you mention perspectives in every essay you do particularly at A2
GazzaXtreme
there's 50million ways to get a high grade in an essay so
i don't think they will just mark it by looking at perspectives as long as its relevant and you are interpreting,applying and analysing it effectively on what you're trying to say.

of course you mention perspectives in every essay you do particularly at A2

Yeah I agree with your second sentence, that more or less what said teacher said. Hopefully it will be OK, but if not I can definitely do better in June. :biggrin:
Reply 129
thank god!
=]
Sorry whats a 'perspective essay'?

Is it like putting functionalism, marxism, feminism etc in it
In the context of what I said, treating Q2 more like a functionalist statement and criticising that.
Reply 132
:O did nobody do Education???
That's Unit 2. Oh how I yearn for AS simplicity. :P
Reply 134
iasha
:O did nobody do Education???

yeh i did, how did u find it? especially the last question on the research part on the practicle issues of choosing topic/r.method?
Reply 135
anyone know how much u have to get for a grade A or grade B?
Reply 136
a12
anyone know how much u have to get for a grade A or grade B?

~80% = A
~70% = B I imagine
Reply 137
Dyer
~80% = A
~70% = B I imagine

in terms of marks?
They release those on the 10th March, and it depends on the relative difficulty of the paper.
Reply 139
a12
yeh i did, how did u find it? especially the last question on the research part on the practicle issues of choosing topic/r.method?

hawww! ar we stil talkn abwt A2? coz i answered 4 & 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending