predictions for the AQA A2 SCLY3 exam on 22nd January for beliefs in society? Watch

TheRustaman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ranbow99)
Got a B for beliefs in society, pretty pleased with it (would have liked an A, but oh well!)

Can someone tell me how to get an A in the crime and deviance exam? I'm struggling with it a bit at the moment and I don't think i'll do as well in it
Going to have to revise LOADS

Hey i got an A in beliefs (i really wasn't expecting it one bit so i was really chuffed!)

Regarding crime and deviance - We haven't even started it yet!! We're still half way through theory & methods!

What i've done is bought myself the A2 AQA Sociology in Focus on amazon market for £3!! bargain.
Also i bought the flash revise set on amazon, crime and deviance module, for £3/4.
I think if i revise loads and get my parents/friends to test me on flash revise i can hopefully do quite well!
jataylorlfc
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
anybody know what the total available marks for the paper was?
-CG-
Report 8 years ago
I sat the Beliefs in Society paper
(and freaked out because i didn't pick up on social stability as being the opposite of social change!!) and got....AN A!!!! Couldnt believe it..got 69..im assuming its not a high A but oh well

And I repeat Education and Methods and got...AN A!!!! Couldnt believe it either!!..got 108..don't think its a very high A either :/ but oh well! Means i got an A at AS..now im freaking out about June...we're about to finish T&M and start C&D yayy! xox
TheScarletBowler
Report 8 years ago
I took beliefs in society as well, got an A(66/80) and was very shocked.

If anyone is resitting the beliefs paper, if you have the opportunity go on about feminism and themes of patriarchal dominance going all the way back to the presentation of female figures in religion(I used christianity, what I know best). Examiners love that ****, linking things together really gets marks in this subject.

Hope you all got the marks you hoped for
Snapshot13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Got 69/80, lols hehehe 69 >.<

Were only half way through C&D and still have to do all of T&M. I swear were so far behind. im auctaly going to go ahead of the teacher and just teach myself the rest of the crime unit. That way i can get a head start on theory/methods. Shes going so slowly its just fustrating!
IOA
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys, I'm sitting this paper on Friday (re-taking) and just wanted to know which two topics came up in January that I shouldn't revise?

I take I shouldn't revise Topic 3 - Secularisation and Topic 4 - Religion, renewal and choice?

Is that correct?

Thank you
Sad3k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IOA)
Hi guys, I'm sitting this paper on Friday (re-taking) and just wanted to know which two topics came up in January that I shouldn't revise?

I take I shouldn't revise Topic 3 - Secularisation and Topic 4 - Religion, renewal and choice?

Is that correct?

Thank you

you should revise everything, because AQa can be right idiots now. And with psychology they have asked same essay question as in January. So make sure you study it all, you don't want to be retaking a year.

The 18 marker was:
'Using material from Item A and elsewhere, assess the view that most people today see spirituality and religious belief as purely private and personal matters' OR
'Critically examine the relationship between different social groups and their religious beliefs and practice'

A choice for 2 33 markers were:
'Assess the view that the main function of religious belief is to promote social stability'
a112
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can someone please help, if a question such as ~ critically assess post modernist view of the nature and importance of religion in society today. Comes up as a 33 marker wat exactly can u write to 'assess' it?
rosiec678
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im also doing this exam friday, surely it makes sense then that globalisation, science +ideology, or sects/cult etc may come up as they didn't so much last year?

doea that sound right? feminism didnt really come up either i suppose or even secularisation reallly urggghh im just gonna have to do it all aren't i lol

which ones do u predict will come up?
rosiec678
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a112)
Can someone please help, if a question such as ~ critically assess post modernist view of the nature and importance of religion in society today. Comes up as a 33 marker wat exactly can u write to 'assess' it?
don't quote me on it but isn't this about how they view religion is just one version of the truth and society is so fragmented now that no belief system can claim monopoly of the truth

I think you would talk about Heelas and Woodhead- more people are taking part in holistic milieu (new age beliefs and spiritualism) because of searching internally within themselves rather than externally. Traditional churches are out of tune with a society which believes to search within oursleves

Also about Grace Davie who beleives people are believing withou belonging as they teir beliefs take a more privatised form . also vicarious religion (church weddings, funeral, baptisms)

Danielle Hervieu-Leger says parents let children decide for themsleves more therefore have no ficed religious identity and are becoming spiritual shoppers -something to do with pilgrims/converts but i dont understand this

Then theres david lyon who says increasing globalisation has made religion take a new form in the media (media saturated culture) where people may also choose style over substance (is this simulacra btw?) and this is why Nrms do so well. He believes people have became re-enchanted with religon through the media and not disenchanted.

Theres also the religious market theory -Stark and Bainbridge -also supply led religion

an existential security theory-Norris and Inglehart

i haven't juxtaposed any of this however and haven't done a conclusion. i'm rubbish at them.. do u have anysuggestions to what you'd evaluate with
a112
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rosiec678)
im also doing this exam friday, surely it makes sense then that globalisation, science +ideology, or sects/cult etc may come up as they didn't so much last year?

doea that sound right? feminism didnt really come up either i suppose or even secularisation reallly urggghh im just gonna have to do it all aren't i lol

which ones do u predict will come up?
Secularisation came up in june 2009 didn't it?
Sad3k
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a112)
Secularisation came up in june 2009 didn't it?
We are now on the new spec so things have changed
rosiec678
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
might be abit too late to expect a reply but does anyone understand ideology, mannheim etc i'm finding it hard to understand what it's about and what a question would involve.

Is it what sociologist view an ideology is?

what is mannheims actual view whats does all of it mean about intelectuals?
TOBzY
Report 8 years ago
might be abit too late to expect a reply but does anyone understand ideology, mannheim etc i'm finding it hard to understand what it's about and what a question would involve.

From what i understand he argues two types of belief systems.
One that is from the view of the individuals in priviledged groups i.e. middle class. Their belief system is conservative as they will benefit from maintaining status quo. Thats called Ideological thought.

And the other is the opposite. So the view from the underprivelged i.e the working class who would benefit from social change. Thats called Utopian thought.

Hope that helps. I'm behind on my revision. Not looking forward to tommorow as i got Maths C4 exam just before it in the afternoon.
Dyer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Mannheim points out the conflict of interest between the working class and ruling class. The working class want change and the ruling class want stability. They are entirely one-sided and neither will ever represent the interests of society as a whole. His solution is for a seperate group of intellectuals with no class affiliation to represent society. How he thinks a group of intellectuals can become detached from the class system, I don't know.
rosiec678
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TOBzY)
From what i understand he argues two types of belief systems.
One that is from the view of the individuals in priviledged groups i.e. middle class. Their belief system is conservative as they will benefit from maintaining status quo. Thats called Ideological thought.

And the other is the opposite. So the view from the underprivelged i.e the working class who would benefit from social change. Thats called Utopian thought.

Hope that helps. I'm behind on my revision. Not looking forward to tommorow as i got Maths C4 exam just before it in the afternoon.
thankyou both thats made it a lot clearer for me

i think i have right idea but just to check,, if a question came up on social class as i've seen practice questions this is referring to age, gender, ethnicity and class isnt it?

i think that would be quite a nice question tbh but don't want to see social class and write the wrong thing
saffron.coco
Report 8 years ago
THANK YOU TOO, my soc teacher is crap crap crap and i havent heard about manheim...
saffron.coco
Report 8 years ago
Can anyone tell me how many essays there is to do?
fph1
Report 8 years ago
Can someone please send a copy of a specimen of any mark scheme so I know exactly what the questions want from me? Please! thanks
rosiec678
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
don't know how to get the mark scheme sorry it doesn't load on my computer for some reason which is frustrating. there's one 18 mark essay which you should spend about 20 mins on and a 33 mark essay which you should spend about 50mins on (choice of two i think)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (628)
91.01%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.99%

Watched Threads