Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Well I hope they find out what happened. This is the uni I intend to spend the next few years of my life at.
    Lol that'll teach you for being eager to put down a firm choice. :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Poor dude

ReputationRep:
    im at keele....thts scaryy!! glad i dont live on campus!

ReputationRep:
    A great deal of people tend to speculate towards the worst-case scenario.

As has sort of already been said, if there had been a murder or similar it is unthinkable that the police wouldn't have at least informed campus security and the students so that further measures could be taken in respect of other peoples safety at the university. If you consider what would normally happen in a murder investigation then it's pretty much a given that the students in the surrounding blocks would have been questioned immediately as to anything going on that night or whether anyone had seen anyone out of the ordinary. I live directly opposite where the incident occurred; I could see the tent from my window. The police haven't even been near us.

In reality I think it's far more likely to be something far less out of the ordinary, relatively speaking. I don't really think it is fair to the individual concerned or the university to post wild conjecture as to what may have happened when, in reality, no one knows the circumstances, let alone who it is.

ReputationRep:
    I have been a student at Keele for four years, and every year I have been on campus. I have never in my time here found it unsafe. All these people saying 'my mum won't let me come if it is unsafe' needs to get a life. You are more likely to get attacked walking down the street, or get run over by a car even, than actually get attacked on Keele Campus. I think even city universities are more likely to be unsafe.

I don't think we should be even speculating murder, exams for most people finished Friday, I heard so many people talking about getting wasted yesterday. It is most likely that this lad had got so drunk, collapsed and went unconcious, and in effect then causing his body to shut down, leading him to have hypothermia.
    Whoever complained about why he would be staggering on the sports field....Have u ever been so drunk that sometimes you cannot explain why you may be in a wierd location in the morning. It's just like waking up looking at an empty pizza box and forgetting you actually brought a takeaway!

I feel some people writing in this forum don't know the scale of how big Keele's sports field is, to actually see a body would be difficult, and to be actually looking is another thing! Keele doesn't expect these sort of things to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonds1)
    I have been a student at Keele for four years, and every year I have been on campus. I have never in my time here found it unsafe. All these people saying 'my mum won't let me come if it is unsafe' needs to get a life. You are more likely to get attacked walking down the street, or get run over by a car even, than actually get attacked on Keele Campus. I think even city universities are more likely to be unsafe.

I don't think we should be even speculating murder, exams for most people finished Friday, I heard so many people talking about getting wasted yesterday. It is most likely that this lad had got so drunk, collapsed and went unconcious, and in effect then causing his body to shut down, leading him to have hypothermia.
    Whoever complained about why he would be staggering on the sports field....Have u ever been so drunk that sometimes you cannot explain why you may be in a wierd location in the morning. It's just like waking up looking at an empty pizza box and forgetting you actually brought a takeaway!

I feel some people writing in this forum don't know the scale of how big Keele's sports field is, to actually see a body would be difficult, and to be actually looking is another thing! Keele doesn't expect these sort of things to happen.
    Yeah, the weather was still freezing, you could easily pass out/zzz and freeze to death. No-one would notice you on a field of that sizw.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm a post grad at Keele, this is my first year there as I went to the other place down the road. This is really disturbing news but I don't really think it something to get worked up about. Saying that though, there was an assault on campus earlier in the week (well last week now) i'm sure there is no connection though. As for people saying how safe the campus is well thats up for debate in my experience. On a number of occasions when staying with my gf who i lived on campus with I encountered none students (well I'd hope they were) trying to thieve things from her kitchen. Also at night the place really isn't all that well lit. I believe keele also has one of the countries highest suicide rates (of a campus university) sorry i'm not trying to put any one off.
    Right now its exam period so who knows maybe the stress got to him.

ReputationRep:
    well the email said it was ''too early to comment on the circumstances of this sad event''
    they havent even identified him, or at least publicly announce who he is. its sad and a bit scary when
    you dont know all the details, but ive never felt unsafe on campus. this could have happened anywhere, in city unis it probably does, its just because its in a 'bubble' that theres so much being said.

ReputationRep:
    I bet it was a heart attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flash6289)
    That's why everyone has been going mental about it being a murder. Especially since the last assault on campus was in 2008..
    Someone got assaulted thursday just gone, we had an email about that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRevolver)
    Campus universities tend to advertise themselves as being extra-safe and student friendly.
    For all we know, he had a heart-attack..

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to die from a heart attack on the bus. That'd cause a little momentary mayhem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student at Keele, and I've noticed some of you asking why they took so long to see him if he collapsed.

I have two reasons for that - first thing, the sports field is huge and lastly Keele has been experiencing foggy conditions for the past couple of days. The weather has been crap, so seeing him in the fog would have been difficult; especially at night.

ReputationRep:
    Got the email earlier, i'm actually on study abroad atm but still very shocking to hear about. Out here in the US weve had two robberies at gunpoint on campus - and I was telling everyone how much safer the Keele campus felt in comparison - then this goes and happens! We might have gun toting muggers here but noones died.

I do remember there being a lot of CCTV at Keele, so perhaps that will show...something.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that field (which in fact is a series of fields) is pretty big. I hear the body was found near the leisure centre and there's definitely places around there where you could just disappear. Couple that with the fog (as someone mentioned earlier) and you won't see anything till its lifted. Furthermore this area's not too accessible for patrolling, but believe me Keele Security patrol the campus 24 hours a day continuously around all roads and blocks.

Keele isn't an unsafe university, but like anywhere you do need to take basic precautions. If you're walking home at night you need to go with a group. Of course a campus university is going to draw a few rotten eggs, and its a thief's paradise with students treating their own block security quite lightly.
    Furthermore, Keele operates a Safety Bus after nights out - and this will drive you home if you live off campus, or if you live in Hawthorns (just outside campus).

Take precautions at all Universities, not just Keele, because students are constantly a target. But if you follow a few simple procedures you'll be fine.

Keele's an awesome uni, and this shouldn't put you off. As discussed, it doesn't seem to have been a malicious incident but is nonetheless very tragic and thoughts from the entire campus are with the friends and family of the deceased young man.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Pirate)
    Out here in the US weve had two robberies at gunpoint on campus - and I was telling everyone how much safer the Keele campus felt in comparison - then this goes and happens!
    Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerkinWarbeck)
    I've heard that there is public right of way across the whole campus?
    Well there are small roads through campus, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    There were suicides at Keele whilst I was there, so it's not uncommon.
    :| glad i didnt apply
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sequin)
    I went on an open day at Keele and one of the students let slip that there are something like 4 rapes a year on the way to the halls. Theres a big long lonley road to the nicer accomodations, and guards have to man there at night.

Put me right off.

Seriously, this is awful news and I wish anyone involved my condolences.
    That's most likely one of those stupid student rumours. They told us to be safe when there was somebody touching girls up but they found out who he was and he was arrested. If there's a major cause for concern, the uni itself would make sure you know.

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.