Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i know the best person to ask would be my GP but i just wanna know from current medics with health problems (you do not have to say what your problem was/is) or anyone you know at your medschool with a health problem.

in 2008 i was addmitted to hospital for bulimia and depression. i was an inpatient for 6 months and was on the sick (off work and education) for 14months after my admission. i have been free of all symptoms for 6 months and have managed to come off all medication in the last 4 months. by the time i apply to med school i hope to have been symptom free for over 2 years.
    will this effect my admissions to med school in terms of the health check?
    i am now scared that because of my past unstable tendancies med schools may think i will not be able to cope with the stress.

the truth is, that i feel, because of the intense therapy i have had, that i am stronger (emotionally) than the average student. because i have been taught professionally how to cope with it.

not only is the health check a problem to me. i want to mention my time in treatment as my motivation to persue medicine in my PS.

can anyone offer any thoughts on my situation or enlighten me on what may make someone fail a med school health check?
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It probably wouldn't be brushed over, but if you really are as recovered as you say you are, it ought not to cause a problem. They will probably want to talk to you about what support you may need and what things may be hard for you, but if you are open with them then hopefully it won't put you at a disadvantage if they have already made you an offer and are just doing an occupational health check. I would be very careful with how you phrase things on your PS though.

ReputationRep:
    Just something i have picked up at a few opendays but the medical school dont seem to like you mentioning past medical history as a reason to study medicine

ReputationRep:
    I filled out my occupational health form about 3 weeks ago and a lot of it was very specific, but it said clearly on the front that they try to find ways of giving you extra support etc. if you need it. It depends on what the uni thinks, but if you are symptom-free and have been for a while by the time you apply, and explain that to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Just something i have picked up at a few opendays but the medical school dont seem to like you mentioning past medical history as a reason to study medicine
    thats good to know thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Humm i have alot of experience of occy health and health disclosure.
    Just beware exactly how much you tell them and exactly what you tell them. Make sure that you properly emphasise that you are well now. Oh and make sure you let them know about coping stratigies if they ask.

ReputationRep:
    Do med schools do drug screening? some people i have spoken to say they do, and some others have said they don't... i was just wondering, do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic!)
    Do med schools do drug screening? some people i have spoken to say they do, and some others have said they don't... i was just wondering, do they?
    are you on drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desertwarrior)
    are you on drugs
    no i am not on drugs... but as a congratulations for finishing you're exams, my parents are paying for me and some friends to go somewhere, and Amsterdam is featuring quite high on the list of where to go. so i was just wondering....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aware of anywhere that does compulsory drug testing. And I am aware that plenty of medics have experimented in their time. However, remember that if you are caught doing anything illegal it could jeapordise your future career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    i know the best person to ask would be my GP but i just wanna know from current medics with health problems (you do not have to say what your problem was/is) or anyone you know at your medschool with a health problem.

in 2008 i was addmitted to hospital for bulimia and depression. i was an inpatient for 6 months and was on the sick (off work and education) for 14months after my admission. i have been free of all symptoms for 6 months and have managed to come off all medication in the last 4 months. by the time i apply to med school i hope to have been symptom free for over 2 years.
    will this effect my admissions to med school in terms of the health check?
    i am now scared that because of my past unstable tendancies med schools may think i will not be able to cope with the stress.

the truth is, that i feel, because of the intense therapy i have had, that i am stronger (emotionally) than the average student. because i have been taught professionally how to cope with it.

not only is the health check a problem to me. i want to mention my time in treatment as my motivation to persue medicine in my PS.

can anyone offer any thoughts on my situation or enlighten me on what may make someone fail a med school health check?
    thanks.
    I had to get the GP to write and sign a confidential questionaire...It might be something that has to be brought up, if only to be noted and dealt with.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote stuff on the form but the med school never got to hear about it for some strange reason. :confused:
    The main uni knew, as occy health was through them, but not the med school, so when I needed an exam changing they didn't have any knowledge of why. They've always been really good about it though, once I'd told them what had been on the form.
    If you're completely clear for a couple of years, its just probably something they'd need on record, but not likely to make a huge issue of. There are people doing medicine I know of with current psych problems, and they just get a little more support/time off as required, so even if it did flare up again (hopefully not) it doesn't mean you can't study medicine/ work as a doctor if you get treatment and can work through it.

ReputationRep:
    It really wont be an issue if you are recovered as you say. I had to fill in my form with depression, anorexia, SH, hospitalisation etc etc. It was fine. They rang me up and made me come for an interview in the summer before my results were out, and basically said that as i was currently in control it wasnt an issue. They outlined a bunch of 'signals' that would hint to myself and a tutor if i was slipping again.

Coincidentally i did slip again, they were really supportive, i met with the dean and it hasnt disadvantaged me in any way. With ref to mentioning your past, i wouldnt do so on your PS, but i mentioned it briefly with regards to stress coping mechanisms in my interview, and agan, didnt seem to cause any problems.

ReputationRep:
    Im so at the wrong med school.......

ReputationRep:
    ^Why can't uni's put specifics of their support programs in the prospectuses?? I'd have much rather known that than the fact we've just got a new shiny dissection room.

I had a telephone interview in the August and an appt with OH around October, I believe. They were more fussed about my eczema than past psych stuff, tbh. If you can show recovery and coping strategies, and your GP can back you up on that story, then there's no issue. Once you're at medical school, there is a fine line between 'support' and 'instigating fitness to practise', however.

As for drugs - they take blood from all the first years pretty soon after starting, for Hep B/C/HIV serology, etc. Could they legally run a tox screen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    ^Why can't uni's put specifics of their support programs in the prospectuses?? I'd have much rather known that than the fact we've just got a new shiny dissection room.

I had a telephone interview in the August and an appt with OH around October, I believe. They were more fussed about my eczema than past psych stuff, tbh. If you can show recovery and coping strategies, and your GP can back you up on that story, then there's no issue. Once you're at medical school, there is a fine line between 'support' and 'instigating fitness to practise', however.

As for drugs - they take blood from all the first years pretty soon after starting, for Hep B/C/HIV serology, etc. Could they legally run a tox screen?
    Not without letting you know they were going to do it, but even so, you would still have to have the test anyway so the risk is clearly not worth it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.