Turn on thread page Beta

Getting to and from uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do people get there - do you drive yourselves, or do your parents drive etc
    I am contemplating choosing Sheffield as my firm but I'm not sure how I'm going to get there, as I can't drive and my parents won't drive me. Obviously I could get the train, but how do I bring all my luggage with me to Victoria station, then from Sheffield to the uni itself?

ReputationRep:
    Why won't your parents drive you? Most people's parents do drive them - are there any friends you could hitch a lift with, even just to the station, and then get a taxi to halls?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible you could hire a removal service - such as Pickford's.

ReputationRep:
    They just say it's too much effort to drive me because it's 3 hours away But seriously does everyone get driven? I'm just concerned about carrying all my bags with a terms worth of things

ReputationRep:
    They won't drive you because it's three hours away?

Depending on when my term starts, most likely my dad will drive me and that's about a day's solid driving (about 10-12 hours through France to the channel tunnel and however many hours the other side depending on which uni I go for)

But then they'd also probably combine it with a short holiday in the UK, not just drive all the way there to drive all the way back the next day just for me. :p:

If it's bad timing and not possible, I'll have to fly but in that situation I'd probably just take 1 huge suitcase and maybe a small holdall and buy everything else (kitchen stuff etc) when I get there.

Surely your parents would at least take you to the train station?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brightstar)
    They just say it's too much effort to drive me because it's 3 hours away But seriously does everyone get driven? I'm just concerned about carrying all my bags with a terms worth of things
    My Dad drove my brother from Hull to Aberdeen. I think you do need to be driven if I'm honest because you'll have bedding eg duvet and crockery like plates and pans and then a laptop and clothes...most people do get driven. I get driven every year at the beginning and then again at the end.

ReputationRep:
    What about one of those coach services, they're usually cheaper than the train and you won't have to drag your luggage across several stations.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is definitley going to drive me, most likely from London to Leeds. Maybe you ought to explain to your parents how difficult it will be to manage without a lift?

ReputationRep:
    First time is definitely a driving job. Offer to pay for the petrol or something. 6 hrs driving isn't that much really. During the rest of the holidays either leave your stuff there or find a storage place if you can't leave it in your room and then come home with the bare minimum by train or coach or plane... whatever's cheapest!

ReputationRep:
    I got driven to my uni.. like someone said try and explkain how difficult its gonna be to to move your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in halls in 1st year and drove myself. 3 hours is nothing im looking at 5hrs for my graduate degree and the rents will most likely be takig me

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.