Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do people get there - do you drive yourselves, or do your parents drive etc
    I am contemplating choosing Sheffield as my firm but I'm not sure how I'm going to get there, as I can't drive and my parents won't drive me. Obviously I could get the train, but how do I bring all my luggage with me to Victoria station, then from Sheffield to the uni itself?

ReputationRep:
    Why won't your parents drive you? Most people's parents do drive them - are there any friends you could hitch a lift with, even just to the station, and then get a taxi to halls?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible you could hire a removal service - such as Pickford's.

ReputationRep:
    They just say it's too much effort to drive me because it's 3 hours away But seriously does everyone get driven? I'm just concerned about carrying all my bags with a terms worth of things

ReputationRep:
    They won't drive you because it's three hours away?

Depending on when my term starts, most likely my dad will drive me and that's about a day's solid driving (about 10-12 hours through France to the channel tunnel and however many hours the other side depending on which uni I go for)

But then they'd also probably combine it with a short holiday in the UK, not just drive all the way there to drive all the way back the next day just for me. :p:

If it's bad timing and not possible, I'll have to fly but in that situation I'd probably just take 1 huge suitcase and maybe a small holdall and buy everything else (kitchen stuff etc) when I get there.

Surely your parents would at least take you to the train station?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brightstar)
    They just say it's too much effort to drive me because it's 3 hours away But seriously does everyone get driven? I'm just concerned about carrying all my bags with a terms worth of things
    My Dad drove my brother from Hull to Aberdeen. I think you do need to be driven if I'm honest because you'll have bedding eg duvet and crockery like plates and pans and then a laptop and clothes...most people do get driven. I get driven every year at the beginning and then again at the end.

ReputationRep:
    What about one of those coach services, they're usually cheaper than the train and you won't have to drag your luggage across several stations.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is definitley going to drive me, most likely from London to Leeds. Maybe you ought to explain to your parents how difficult it will be to manage without a lift?

ReputationRep:
    First time is definitely a driving job. Offer to pay for the petrol or something. 6 hrs driving isn't that much really. During the rest of the holidays either leave your stuff there or find a storage place if you can't leave it in your room and then come home with the bare minimum by train or coach or plane... whatever's cheapest!

ReputationRep:
    I got driven to my uni.. like someone said try and explkain how difficult its gonna be to to move your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in halls in 1st year and drove myself. 3 hours is nothing im looking at 5hrs for my graduate degree and the rents will most likely be takig me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.