Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I got an E in French at As level and decided to give it up so I could concentrate on my other A levels. However I really enjoyed learning french and would like to continue this. Are there any universities who do learning languages on top of your degree, I've heard York does something like this and wondered if anyone knew of other places and whether you got a type of qualification out of it or it was just for fun?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the vast majority of institutions do.

Nottingham certainly does.

I'm not sure about qualifications..

ReputationRep:
    You could do combined honours, but you'd probably need GCSEs or A levels, especially for a common language like French.
    Some unis offer evening classes, that could culminate in perhaps an A level or certificate of some kind.
    Some have language centres where you can learn on your own time :cute:

ReputationRep:
    At my University, it is possible to do Free Elective modules in the language concerned. After the first year, they contribute towards the degree classification, but are pitched at a level which allow most students to participate. This is especially the case for non-European languages which are not taught in schools.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.