Turn on thread page Beta

Newcastle, Leeds or Edinburgh?! Please help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    which uni would you pick out of these three?
    i have offers from newcastle and leeds...not got one from edinburgh but am still hopeful(ish)!
    i've heard leeds is amazing and really big...
    heard newcastle is an amazing night out, loved the cuty..maybe a tad stuck up?
    and edinburgh is aparently quite rah but really nice and obviously a reallt good uni?!
    would really appreciate some advice!

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in Newcastle, and have had an offer from Leeds. I'm still waiting to hear from Newcastle. Out of Newcastle and Leeds, I'd say Newcastle. I did plan to move to Leeds, and went on a night out, but I reckon the nightlife in Newcastle is better and friendlier. I wouldn't say people in Newcastle are stuck up, probably the opposite more down to earth. But with anywhere we do have our rahs and we do have our barbies! Other than that though I think it's a class place to live. We're right on the coast, long sands beach in Tynemouth is lush in the summer. Whitley Bay, or ******* Bay has a street of bars, and on 'Thursbay' drinks are really cheap There's bars for everyone, clubs for everyone, we have the Carling Academy and Metro Radio arena. Hawey man you should just come to Newcastle

Oceana was canny in Leeds, so was Headingley I think you call it. But the accent irritated me whilst I was there haha.

I applied for Edinburgh too but have heard from a friend who went there that the Scottish don't tend to mix well ;/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response, Newcastle seemed really nice when i looked there and i'm just as concerned with the nightlife as i am the uni so glad to hear its as good as people say! I wouldn't of thought Newcastle was a stuck up place, but I've just heard that the accomodation you choose is often either really public school or not...e.g. Castle Leazes? I'm from a state school but have lots of public school friends and don't have a problem with that but wouldn't like to feel in the minority!
    What did you think about accomodation in Newcastle? Ricky Road or Castle Leazes?
    Yeah Edinburgh have started declining people, I haven't heard yet, but even though technically its the best uni out of my choices...I don't know if I'd like the atmosphere from what I've heard!

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh. Easy.

ReputationRep:
    I had an offer from Edinburgh last year and I would definitely recommend it. I went up with my family and we stayed there for a few days. I loved the university, but the city was a bit underwhelming and not what I thought it would be. Plus, Somerset to Edinburgh would have been such a long way to travel for university.

Don't think too far ahead though; you don't have an offer from Edinburgh yet. Fingers crossed you get one! Out of the three universities you listed it is regarded as a much more reputable university.

ReputationRep:
    They're all excellent unis. Choose base on the course and the city. I would personally prefer to live in Edinburgh over Leeds or Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, still undecided...three/four years of my life there, big choice!

ReputationRep:
    No idea about accomodation in Newcastle. I'll personally live at home 1st year, then perhaps Tynemouth, Jesmond or Whitley Bay

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh. I'm not a rah in any sense of the word and I fit in just fine. You also have the advantage of it being a city with all the attractions a city has to offer (very good nightlife, good shopping, good pubs) but it's small enough to walk everywhere and student accommodation is all really close to uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morfin)
    Edinburgh. I'm not a rah in any sense of the word and I fit in just fine. You also have the advantage of it being a city with all the attractions a city has to offer (very good nightlife, good shopping, good pubs) but it's small enough to walk everywhere and student accommodation is all really close to uni!
    Thanks, would you choose Pollock?? I'm seeing someone from Edinburgh and don't know if it would be ideal him being so near.. whats the likelihood of bumping into him on a night out?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Thanks, would you choose Pollock?? I'm seeing someone from Edinburgh and don't know if it would be ideal him being so near.. whats the likelihood of bumping into him on a night out?!
    I'm currently in self-catered. I wouldn't recommend pollock as it's further away from town/uni, you have to eat skanky halls food and they don't even give you provisions to make your own. The likelihood of bumping into people you know on a night out is quite high, as there are specific clubs that are good on specific nights, but it just depends on what kind of places you like going to.

Whether you want to live near to your boyfriend is a decision you'd have to make yourself, but the general consensus on here is don't go to pollock. go to the edinburgh forum and there's a massive accommodation thread there to look at xxx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.