Turn on thread page Beta

Very basic question about course credits watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do I have this right? Credits are just an arbitrary number of points (differs from course to course) that you need to get enough of, in order to pass the course?

So, say your course in French contains 100 credits - these credits are allocated amongst the different modules and assignments etc, and you have to get 100 or more in order to pass?

So, by this reasoning, courses offer additional work if you need extra credits?

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, credits are added up to receive the qualification. All honours degrees require 360 credits, but the way this is divided up between modules will vary between Universities. Your results will also include a numerical mark. It is this which determines your classification, usually according to the following scale:

70% + - First Class
    60-69% - Second Class Division One (2.1)
    50-59% - Second Class Division Two (2.2)
    40 - 49% - Third

Each credit usually represents ten hours of work. At my University, all modules are standardised at twenty credits, so this is 200 hours of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenbanana)
    Essentially, credits are added up to receive the qualification. All honours degrees require 360 credits, but the way this is divided up between modules will vary between Universities. Your results will also include a numerical mark. It is this which determines your classification, usually according to the following scale:

70% + - First Class
    60-69% - Second Class Division One (2.1)
    50-59% - Second Class Division Two (2.2)
    40 - 49% - Third

Each credit usually represents ten hours of work. At my University, all modules are standardised at twenty credits, so this is 200 hours of work.
    So, are credits used to determine your class of degree?

You say credits are added up - on what basis are they gotten? If there's a module worth 20 credits and I get a C in it, does that mean I get (say), 10 credits, while I'd get 20 for an A? And so you need a certain amount of credits overall (something less than 360 anyway) to pass?
    This sounds very elementary, I know - I just want to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    So, are credits used to determine your class of degree?

No. They are awarded on the basis of modules completed successfully. It is the numerical mark which contributes to the class of degree.

You say credits are added up - on what basis are they gotten?

By passing modules throughout the degree programme. Credits are only added up in so far as they dictate whether a student is able to progress on to the next stage of their course.

If there's a module worth 20 credits and I get a C in it, does that mean I get (say), 10 credits, while I'd get 20 for an A?

No. As long as you pass the module, you will be awarded the credits. It is the numerical mark which dictates your grade according to the scale I posted previously.

And so you need a certain amount of credits overall (something less than 360 anyway) to pass?

You need 360 credits for an honours degree and 300 for an ordinary degree. 120 credits are required for a Certificate of Higher Education and 240 for a Diploma of Higher Education.

This sounds very elementary, I know - I just want to be sure.

This is no problem. I had no idea about how this system worked before coming to University. If you need further clarification, do post again and I will do my best to help.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.