Turn on thread page Beta

pleasepleaseplease help me, i really need to know what the hell i need to do. watch

ReputationRep:
    hello, i have a gcse chemistry exam on this monday coming. i have been reading through my cgp revision guide and have found two chapters that my chemistry teacher has not taught the class at all. the only thing we have learnt in class in one chapter. so i was wondering if anything in the other two chapters will come up in the exam?
    i asked my older brother and he said that everything your chem teacher has taught you in class will be in the exam. anything else will not. is that true?
    im so worried that i'll fail because of it.:woo:
    any help is appreciated, thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I'd learn it anyway, better to be safe than sorry You can't predict what will be on the exam and some teachers are useless.

ReputationRep:
    It will probably depend on how good the teacher is. I recommend you go on the exam board website and look up the specification. This is the definitive list of the content that is examined. Under the 'new' GCSE sciences, assessment is often modular, so you may not have covered all the content yet, just that for the particular exam that you are taking.

ReputationRep:
    Is the CGP book both up-to-date and specific to your exam board? if not, then unless your chem teacher is utter crap, i would be pretty confident that your brother is right. if it is up to date and the right exam board, i would be slightly worried. however, i personally would concentrate on the stuff you have been taught; its only january so you can resit if your teacher has neglected to teach all of the course, and if s/he has you havnt wasted your time

ReputationRep:
    What board are you doing? There are specifications for your GCSE on the board's website.

AQA: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-4421-W-SP-10.PDF
    Lol, can't find the OCR, hope you're doing AQA ;D. Good luck, you'll be absolutely fine as long as you follow the specification . XX

ReputationRep:
    i think u will be ok with what u have been taught but it may be worth giving the stuff u were not taught a once over just in case. good luck and hope it goes ok

ReputationRep:
    if you are doing aqa unit 2 (C2) then everything will come up thats in that section. Im doing mine on monday too but look through some past papers and see if the topics you don't know come up.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chapters would be a start to get some help.

Chances are anything could come up but it's best to download the specification or some past papers and see what they want, that'll be the best idea.

Your teacher must have had enough time to teach you all what you need for the exam, she can't miss two whole chapters!!
    And for GCSE, I'm sure you do one chapter at a time!
    Good luck for your exam !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by too many legs.)
    hello, i have a gcse chemistry exam on this monday coming. i have been reading through my cgp revision guide and have found two chapters that my chemistry teacher has not taught the class at all. the only thing we have learnt in class in one chapter. so i was wondering if anything in the other two chapters will come up in the exam?
    i asked my older brother and he said that everything your chem teacher has taught you in class will be in the exam. anything else will not. is that true?
    The likelihood is that your book is split up into modules, so each exam will be testing you on a different module. I know loads of teachers are hopeless these days, but I doubt they'll have managed to miss out two whole chapters.
    You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, whatever you do, take a deep breath and think positively.

Then, although I am sure you would have been taught exactly what you need to know for the exam, you can check out the syllabus on the website of the exam board I hope this will help

Good luck and you are not going to fail!! trust me

ReputationRep:
    the cgpbook my before all exam boards...check its for your exam board pasificly

ReputationRep:
    you need to have a look on the board website for the specification relevant to your exam and know exactly what's in the exam then you will know for certain. if its one not particularly big chapter that doesnt sound like enough to me but if its a big chunk of the book you may have it all covered and the rest might be for other modules.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest panicking... it really helps!

Nah, in all seriousness, check the syllabus, it'll tell you everything you need to know!

ReputationRep:
    To perhaps repeat the advice of others; obtain a copy of the syllabus and check if these units are part of this exam.

I warn against the idea that "a teacher couldn't possibly miss out on a whole 2 units" - yes they could, there's plenty of incompetant teachers, I wouldn't give the benefit of the doubt untill you're sure. However, CPG is aimed to engross all possible exam boards, so there is the potentiality that they are indeed not relevant. So like I said, just make sure you check.

Don't worry though, you have time to go through the material if it is "worst case scenario". Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    what board are you doing and what unit, if ur doung aqa i may be able to tell you

Look at some past papers, and see if there are huge chunks you don't recognise! If there is, start cramming.

ReputationRep:
    i think i'll just carry on revising the chapter in my revision guide that has been taught to me in class. if worst comes to worst i can still do the exam again in the summer. thankyou everyone for the help, it means alot and im actually really confident now. thankyou. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _anum)
    what board are you doing and what unit, if ur doung aqa i may be able to tell you
    yep, aqa.
    additional science btw. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    with these text books you never need EVERYTHING in it. Dont panic, im sure your teacher has done everything right. If you get to the exam though and this stuff is in there make sure to tell the school about it because it isnt fair. Seriously though, GCSE's are a doddle, you should enjoy this level while you can, A levels are alot harder!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.