Turn on thread page Beta

OCR 21st Century Triple Science - GCSE 2010 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I did the OCR 21st Century Biology B1, B2 and B3 exam on Thursday. I found it really hard. Did anybody else?

I did all the past papers for it aswell, getting A* in all of them. But I was shocked to see that the format of the one on Thursday was a bit different. There were fewer multiple choice questions and questions asking for explanations were introduced. I did not come across these in past papers

Should I expect the same for the Chemistry on Monday and the Physics on Wednesday? Does anyone know why they are being cruel by doing this?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Your teachers didn't tell you they would be different this year? I took this last year but they even told us that it would change the year after we took it.

From, and including, January 2010 a new style of question will be introduced to these papers. While the majority of questions will continue to be objective, following the current format, a number of questions on both Foundation and Higher tiers will be open-ended, requiring candidates to provide longer written answers without selecting from a set of alternatives. Each of these responses will be worth from 1 to 4 marks, providing candidates with opportunities to organise information, develop arguments, analyse and evaluate.
    The papers affected all carry 42 marks. These open-ended questions will in total carry 12-14 marks of those available, with the remaining 28-30 marks continuing to be assessed with objective style questions.
    Taken from, and slightly more information at: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/notic...assessment.pdf

So in short yes, the others will be like this.

ReputationRep:
    Should I expect the same for the Chemistry on Monday and the Physics on Wednesday? Does anyone know why they are being cruel by doing this?
    Yes - GCSE Science papers were criticised for being too easy. An urgent review has been called by Ofqual. This is the regulator. All exam boards were required to make changes to bring the exams in to line with national standards.

ReputationRep:
    :love:

I remember this. :woo:

:sogood:

Good luck kids.

ReputationRep:
    I struggle to understand why it took them so long though. After all, multiple choice science papers have existed for as long as I can remember. Although I did the full written tests, there was a modular specification that was available when I took my GCSEs in 2005 that followed this format.

ReputationRep:
    I did this two years ago when i sat my GCSE's and they were the easiest exam i have ever sat! It was pretty much just common sense with all of the multiple choice questions so i'm pleased they have tried to make it more challenging.

ReputationRep:
    my sister also complained that the format had changed for her exam she did the same one as you she wasn't told, yes expect the others to change too.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pleased they have tried to make it more challenging.
    I think once this knowledge had diseminated in to the wider public domain, they had no choice, but to respond to these concerns, if only to apease criticisms that the exams were getting easier. These measures should help to differntiate more effectively between candidates - something that the top Universities are finding increasingly difficult. It should also be helped further by the introduction of the new A* grade at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    WE HAVE TO WRITE WORDS? OH ****. NO TICK BOXES? OH LORD.
    I just did the chemistry c4 c5 c6 and it was still easy even with fewer tick boxes. And the boundaries will be insanely low this year, so I'm sorted.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.