Turn on thread page Beta

Exeter (Cornwall Campus), Glasgow or QMUL? watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh i'm so confused ...

I've recieved all my offers for History through, and this is what i've ended up with! Quite happy with how it turned out, but i'm just totally stumped as to where I want to go!

I'm sorting out open days but does anyone have any further input on student experiences?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow mos def. QMUL after that.

ReputationRep:
    exeter is the best?

ReputationRep:
    Look at the courses and see which one suits you best. They'll all focus on different things and Glasgow's will be a year longer. Look at facilities too, which do you prefer? Where do you want to live?

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing, I'm not sure on city life.

I've always lived in the Algarve, which is very quiet in the off season (busy for 3-4 months of the year).

Also, the course at Cornwall (exeter uni) includes a year abroad ...

The extra year in university doesn't really bother me, I really like all the courses for different reasons so really it's down to where i'd most like to live i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazor)
    That's the thing, I'm not sure on city life.

I've always lived in the Algarve, which is very quiet in the off season (busy for 3-4 months of the year).

The extra year in university doesn't really bother me, I really like all the courses for different reasons so really it's down to where i'd most like to live i guess!
    It is up to you to decide where you want to live for the next 4 years.
    If the year abroad that Exeter offers appeals to you the most , then go there. If you would like a big and fun city without the expensive part then Glasgow is for you. In any case I advice you to forget about QMUL :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is the best city IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow, every time.

Except when it's a decision between it or Strathclyde :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh i'm so confused ...

I've recieved all my offers for History through, and this is what i've ended up with! Quite happy with how it turned out, but i'm just totally stumped as to where I want to go!

I'm sorting out open days but does anyone have any further input on student experiences?

Thanks!
    Whilst Exeter's Cornwall campus is a healthy walking distance from stunning coastline (and the best surf in the country), the place in general is incredibly quiet and sedate. London is exceptionally vibrant. I don't think you could have picked two different UK locations if you tried!! I've never been to Glasgow.

Also, are the modules on offer at Exeter restricted because the Cornwall campus is so far away from the main campus itself? I know the university and it's medical school broadcast some lectures over the internet etc, so you may find the selection of modules is exactly the same, but you will be sometimes be learning from a big TV like the Open University!!

All three universities are good, and all three have strong History departments. I haven't studied History for a few years, but I'm aware that each university listed has a good reputation for the subject. If you are interested in the year abroad, and are more than happy living the quieter life, then go for Exeter. The campus/accommodation is practically brand new. I know people who have studied History as postgraduate students at Exeter and who have also gone abroad. They loved every minute of it.

ReputationRep:
    Uni: Exeter > Glasgow
    City: Glasgow >>>> Exeter (especially the Cornwall Campus' location)

And I don't like QMUL for many reason so I'd never suggest going there.

ReputationRep:
    You guys mean QMUL which is ranked above Glasgow and only three places below Exeter? and has higher grad prospects in History than either of them? yeah it's a crap uni, you shouldn't even think about it....

Also if you go to the Cornwall campus of Exeter you won't really get the proper university experience, Cornwall is crap to live in, theres nothing to do there other than the beach. This is speaking as someone who lives about 30 miles up the road from Cornwall when I'm not at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Go for Cornwall if you'd like a varied lifestyle, towns, nights out, countryside and seaside. There is an amazing sense of community in the Cornwall Campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    You guys mean QMUL which is ranked above Glasgow and only three places below Exeter? and has higher grad prospects in History than either of them? yeah it's a crap uni, you shouldn't even think about it....

Also if you go to the Cornwall campus of Exeter you won't really get the proper university experience, Cornwall is crap to live in, theres nothing to do there other than the beach.
    Of course QMUL has better job prospects - it's in London! There are more jobs there that command a higher wage. However, if the OP is not a city man, then who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Of course QMUL has better job prospects - it's in London! There are more jobs there that command a higher wage. However, if the OP is not a city man, then who cares?
    A good deal of graduate jobs are based in London anyways, most people who apply for grad jobs end up in LDN or one of it's commuter towns, it doesn't matter if you went to a LDN uni or not. 73% for QMUL vs 54% for Glasgow isn't even close, even factoring in the LDN factor.

I'm not saying that the OP should base their decision upon this, far from it, they should make their decision on where they'll feel most happy, I'm just saying it's undeniable that a degree in History from QMUL is generally more useful than from Glasgow and slightly more than Exeter. Of course a lot depends on the candidate themselves aswell, just because you get a degree from a uni with better grad prospects doesn't mean you're going to get a job, especially if your personal qualities are poor.

ReputationRep:
    Almost all universities allow you the opportunity to study abroad for a year or semester, usually in the second year. If that really appeals to you it might be an idea to email the history departments at Glasgow and QMUL to see if this is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is the best city out of all of them Then I'd go for QMUL, then Exeter (Cornwall). Falmouth, which is where Exeter (Cornwall) campus is, is reeallly small, VERY quiet and not much to do, although if you live in the Algarve it may seem more homely. On the other hand London and Glasgow are very big, lively cities with sooo much to do. I'd say Glasgow is probably better though because you're more likely to get snow in the winter and it's more homely compared to London, which is the most expensive place to live in the UK. But go for whichever course you like best Maybe draw up a positives and negatives chart for each Uni and compare them?

ReputationRep:
    You should also keep in mind that as an EU student you won't have to pay any tuition fees in Glasgow :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Whilst Exeter's Cornwall campus is a healthy walking distance from stunning coastline (and the best surf in the country), the place in general is incredibly quiet and sedate. London is exceptionally vibrant. I don't think you could have picked two different UK locations if you tried!! I've never been to Glasgow.

Also, are the modules on offer at Exeter restricted because the Cornwall campus is so far away from the main campus itself? I know the university and it's medical school broadcast some lectures over the internet etc, so you may find the selection of modules is exactly the same, but you will be sometimes be learning from a big TV like the Open University!!

All three universities are good, and all three have strong History departments. I haven't studied History for a few years, but I'm aware that each university listed has a good reputation for the subject. If you are interested in the year abroad, and are more than happy living the quieter life, then go for Exeter. The campus/accommodation is practically brand new. I know people who have studied History as postgraduate students at Exeter and who have also gone abroad. They loved every minute of it.
    I understand the history department at Cornwall does broadcast some lectures over the internet, something i'm not too keen on ...

At the moment, without visiting, I'm already favouring Glasgow. Simply for the fact that it's probably time for a change in my life, I want something bigger to explore (i.e. a city might be a welcomed change of scenery).

Also, although I like the idea of studying in London, I would much rather steer clear of the excessive living costs during my degree and move there (or somewhere similar) when i'm older.

Does anyone have any idea of the living costs I'd be looking at in Glasgow compared to say London?

ReputationRep:
    glasgow. you do 3 subjects in the first 2 years, and thus the course is more varied.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.