Turn on thread page Beta

1Tb hard drive isn't 1 tb..? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I bought a 1Tb hardrive today - for £65, looked like a good deal but I got it home and it's only formatted for 940GB, now that is 80GB short of the mark for my money! - what's going on, deos this need to go back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    Ok so I bought a 1Tb hardrive today - for £65, looked like a good deal but I got it home and it's only formatted for 940GB, now that is 80GB short of the mark for my money! - what's going on, deos this need to go back?
    I dunno. It happens sometimes! If you like you could return it for a better product but if it's a cheap brand it can happen. Btw did you format it all without errors and such?

ReputationRep:
    Formatted capacities are always a bit smaller than the actual capacity, as you need some space for metadata, i.e. the file-allocation table, master file table, or equivalent (plus any journaling and other stuff). That's not the whole story though...

Manufacturers always quote their capacities such that they define a terabyte as 10^12 bytes, rather than 2^40 that the OS bases it off.

Basically, remember that a kilobyte is generally defined as 1024 bytes, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, etc etc etc. But they quote their capacities based on a kilobyte being 1000 bytes, a megabyte being 1000 kilobytes, etc etc, which when it all mounts up means that the reported capacity will be 60gb short like you say!

Yes, I know, very oversimplified. Please don't start mentioning kibibytes, mebibytes, etc. That just complicates things :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ual-disk-space

ReputationRep:
    No, it's fine. It's just a marketing trick they use. A terabyte needs 1024GB whereas they advertise Tebibytes which are 1000 Gibibytes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    I dunno. It happens sometimes! If you like you could return it for a better product but if it's a cheap brand it can happen. Btw did you format it all without errors and such?
    well it's western digital which is a reasonable brand so dunno.. Yeh I formatted it no problems

ReputationRep:
    nope, that's what all 1TB HDD's are sold at - 930-945GB.

ReputationRep:
    Its got something to do with rounding so any memory stick or hard drive will actually have less capacity than what it says on the package

ReputationRep:
    1000000000000/(1024^3)

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_di..._disk_overhead

ReputationRep:
    ah right, cheeky!!

ReputationRep:
    What? No, it's nothing to do with brand.

(Original post by matt7)
    Manufacturers always incorrectly quote their capacities, such that they define a terabyte as 10^12 bytes, rather than the correct 2^40.
    No. Terabyte is 10^12.
    Tebibyte is 2^40 and is what the OS reports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sk1lLz)
    No, it's fine. It's just a marketing trick they use. A terabyte needs 1024GB whereas they advertise Tebibytes which are 1000 Gibibytes.
    Wrong way round.

(Original post by fatty_tbh)
    My 160GB only shows at about 149GB which is ~93%

So scaling that up yours is about the same, this is common amongst all hard drives. Its to do with the manufacturers classing 1,000,000,000 bytes as a gigabyte whilst windows classes 1,073,741,824 bytes as a gigabyte.
    Gibibyte. It's a different unit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GiB

ReputationRep:
    standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hartemop)
    Its got something to do with rounding so any memory stick or hard drive will actually have less capacity than what it says on the package
    Yeah I know that but I never thought it be like 80GB. That's more than my primary hard disk. lol

ReputationRep:
    They always give you a bit less. That's customer service for you. I once got a 1GB usb, but it only had 930mb. I was bumped by a massive 94mb. I wouldn't return it, because other companies do similar things. But my guess is, if you compress your harddrive, theoretically it will provide close to 1tb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Wrong way round.

this is amusing, I did standard grade computing and we where taught that 8 bits = byte, 1024 bytes = kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes = megabyte, 1024 megabytes = Gigabyte, 1024 gigabytes = terabyte...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Wrong way round.

beat me to it, haha!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know that but I never thought it be like 80GB. That's more than my primary hard disk. lol
    The bigger the disk, the bigger the difference. It's fractional.

ReputationRep:
    How computer ignorant are people.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.