Turn on thread page Beta

1Tb hard drive isn't 1 tb..? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    this is amusing, I did standard grade computing and we where taught that 8 bits = byte, 1024 bytes = kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes = megabyte, 1024 megabytes = Gigabyte, 1024 gigabytes = terabyte...
    Indeed. So was I.
    In fact the organisation representing all solid state storage devices do use that. However, IEEE (THE standards organisation for electrical things) back the kibi/gibi etc prefixes.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashim91)
    They always give you a bit less. That's customer service for you. I once got a 1GB usb, but it only had 930mb. I was bumped by a massive 94mb.
    No, you just weren't aware what was being sold to you. You got exactly what you paid for. See my other posts.

I wouldn't return it, because other companies do similar things. But my guess is, if you compress your harddrive, theoretically it will provide close to 1tb
    wtf? That's just...wrong.
    You can't compress a hard drive - it's a physical object

ReputationRep:
    They always give you a bit less. That's customer service for you. I once got a 1GB usb, but it only had 930mb. I was bumped by a massive 94mb. I wouldn't return it, because other companies do similar things. But my guess is, if you compress your harddrive, theoretically it will provide close to 1tb
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    They always give you a bit less. That's customer service for you. I once got a 1GB usb, but it only had 930mb. I was bumped by a massive 94mb. I wouldn't return it, because other companies do similar things. But my guess is, if you compress your harddrive, theoretically it will provide close to 1tb

Read the earlier posts. That's how it works - nothing to do with customer service!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    No, you just weren't aware what was being sold to you. You got exactly what you paid for. See my other posts.

wtf? That's just...wrong.
    You can't compress a hard drive - it's a physical object
    Well you could....but its not gonna be very good as a hard drive afterwards :p:
    compressed hard drive

ReputationRep:
    Very common. My 1TB one is 931GBs. Which is a bit annoying. But still more than I desperately need...

ReputationRep:
    It's because hard disks are sold in gigabytes/terabytes and operating systems measure them in tebibytes/gibibytes.

Tera = total bytes / (1000*1000*1000*1000)
    Tebi = total bytes / (1024*1024*1024*1024)

Hard disk manufacturers measure the hard disk sizes in actual Giga/Tera bytes. Windows, despite saying Giga/Tera, actually measures these in Gibi/Tebi bytes

ReputationRep:
    my 1Tb shows 999.96Gb formatted by a mac to ms-dos.(fat32)

Why do i have the feeling that there may be somthing wrong with my drive?

ReputationRep:
    It's a simple oversight on the part of Microsoft this which annoyingly they still haven't fixed here , writing disk capacity in GiB as GB in all of their screens. Most Linux distros I've seen get this right without trouble - though I guess it will confuse the majority of people.

(Original post by LOCI)
    my 1Tb shows 999.96Gb formatted by a mac to ms-dos.(fat32)

Why do i have the feeling that there may be somthing wrong with my drive?
    The 0.04 TiB is overhead taken up by the FAT32 file system itself on the drive.Nothing's wrong with your hard drive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.