Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

practical questions about UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone just a few questions about your everyday life because i move in U-K (Kensington) in February.

1. which kind of plug/socket do you use ?

2. what are the voltage 110v or 220v ?

3. Does anyone know a good website where i could find cheap houseshare / flatshare ?

i thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    3-pin plugs.
    I think its 240-240v
    and I don't know about the last one, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xev)
    hello everyone just a few questions about your everyday life because i move in U-K (Kensington) in February.

1. which kind of plug/socket do you use ?

2. what are the voltage 110v or 220v ?

3. Does anyone know a good website where i could find cheap houseshare / flatshare ?

i thank you in advance
    1. 3-pin plugs.
    2. 220v
    3. If you're coming as a student, I'd get in contact with your university's accommodation office and see if they have a recommended list of landlords or agencies to go through. I doubt you'll find anything cheap in Kensington though - it's an expensive area of London.

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much girls you have been very helpful :yes:

River> you are truly right it's quite expensive lol unfortunately our university doesn't help us to find an accommodation :eek3:

i've found this website http://www.intolondon.co.uk i don't know if it's trustworthy but i'm gonna check ^^

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much girls you have been very helpful :yes:

River> you are truly right it's quite expensive lol unfortunately our university doesn't help us to find an accommodation :eek3:

i've found this website http://www.intolondon.co.uk i don't know if it's trustworthy but i'm gonna check ^^

ReputationRep:
    the voltage is actually 230v it used to be 240v but was reduced to 230 like 15 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Look for type G plugs/sockets as that's what they are. As with the majority of the world, we use 230V/50Hz.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thank you all for answering my questions but i still have got one ^^

1) Does the "maestro" system on debit card exists in U-K to withdraw cash ?

I would like to avoid using my mastercard or visa to withdraw cash because it's expensive

ReputationRep:
    We have Maestro, yes, but it's less accepted than Mastercard or Visa. You don't even have to withdraw money if you don't want to though, just pay by card in most stores.

ReputationRep:
    Teh User> oh yes you are right for buying goods or stuff in stores i will use mastercard and visa but to withdraw cash it's only to pay my rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xev)
    Teh User> oh yes you are right for buying goods or stuff in stores i will use mastercard and visa but to withdraw cash it's only to pay my rent.
    Any landlord who demands your rent in cash sounds dodgy. I pay mine with a funds transfer via internet banking, but most people I know use direct debit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    Any landlord who demands your rent in cash sounds dodgy. I pay mine with a funds transfer via internet banking, but most people I know use direct debit.
    yes indeed ^^ actually i don't have any U-k bank account so to use my belgian bank account in the purpose of paying a rent i should ask the iban code and bic code to the landlord and i'm not sure that he will be able to give it to me. As a matter of fact being able to pay in cash is just a security but i won't use that in the first place

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.