Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a high achiever (9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and AAAB at AS level) but I was unable to attend many lessens during the majority of year 13 due to problems at home. I felt unable to take my A levels in summer last year resulting in me getting DDEE overall (I took the coursework module in three subjects). I am taking my exams next week but feel totally unprepared due to having missed so much work and there is no way that I will get AAAB- the grades I wanted to. This is my last chance to take them since the exams are on the old specification and I don't know what I can do if I fail (which is most likely). I don't want to go to a rubbish university as I know I can do better than that but I don't want to spend another 2 years doing A levels again because it will put me so far behind. I feel like I've thrown everything away. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X__moi__X)
    I've always been a high achiever (9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and AAAB at AS level) but I was unable to attend many lessens during the majority of year 13 due to problems at home. I felt unable to take my A levels in summer last year resulting in me getting DDEE overall (I took the coursework module in three subjects). I am taking my exams next week but feel totally unprepared due to having missed so much work and there is no way that I will get AAAB- the grades I wanted to. This is my last chance to take them since the exams are on the old specification and I don't know what I can do if I fail (which is most likely). I don't want to go to a rubbish university as I know I can do better than that but I don't want to spend another 2 years doing A levels again because it will put me so far behind. I feel like I've thrown everything away. What can I do?
    Some of them are offering to let you take them in june as well.... some such as physics you can only take in january but others i know, such as chem, maths, bio and i think psychology you can take in june.... check with the board you're doing with if you're allowed to take them in june would be my first option and study as much as you can since then. Anything can happen if you put your effort in.... sure you feel down now but it's better to look forward than lament over the past.

ReputationRep:
    My last chance is definitely this sitting I'm revising hard but I still only anticipate getting CCCD at most. My lowest university offer is BBB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X__moi__X)
    My last chance is definitely this sitting I'm revising hard but I still only anticipate getting CCCD at most. My lowest university offer is BBB.
    YOU CAN DO IT MAN !
    Physics is it edexcel ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not taking physics and no they're all AQA

ReputationRep:
    You can ask your referee to document the circumstances you have faced. Universities consider all the relevent factors when deciding which students to make offers to. Overcoming adversity demonstrates a number of positive characteristics. There are a number of qualifications which Universities accept for entry. You might consider doing an Access course, for example. Some people decide to take a gap year, in which you could attend a tutorial college to do an intensive A-level. I wouldn't advise giving up yet though. There is still all to play for and you demonstrate by your previous results that you have great potential. I know someone here at Oxford who obtained a place on the basis of ABB at A-level because of their personal circumstances. You can do it!

ReputationRep:
    If your lowest uni offer is BBB, which is only asking for 3 subjects, why not just forget about studying one of your subjects and focus on the 3 you think you will do best in.

I'd do as emmak advised as first off; drop the least essential subject and concentrate on the three you need.

Secondly, I understand (somewhat) how you're feeling, I'm doing AQA legacy resits and it's very stressful knowing it's your last chance. What subjects are you doing and what modules?

Thirdly, I understand it's going to be hard to not be REALLY stressed and upset at the moment, as this is all very important stuff. But, honestly, I've learned that no matter how bad the outcome might be, the more stressed I let myself get about it, the more LIKELY the worst is to happen. If you spend time worrying and being upset about you thinking you're going to get CCC, the more likely it is that you will, as it impedes on any work you might be doing.

Stay calm, just do what you can with the time you have and try as hard as possible to be level headed about it. Once you've told me what your subjects are I can possibly give more specific advice (if I know anything about them!)

ReputationRep:
    Exam boards are letting people take the exams in June now...one of my friends Nan died last week and she phoned the exam board and was told they are allowing people to sit them in June. It might be worth you ringing them up and explaining your situation to see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Exam boards are letting people take the exams in June now...one of my friends Nan died last week and she phoned the exam board and was told they are allowing people to sit them in June. It might be worth you ringing them up and explaining your situation to see what they say.
    Do you know which exam board that was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    Do you know which exam board that was?
    No, I just know that it was for Business Studies.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.