Turn on thread page Beta

Is it just me or is it harder to get into clubs (I've noticed this in Liverpool)? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually 18 and the majority of my friends are 17 and got like 4 months or so until they turn 18. But the other day when we went out for an 18th they got knocked back. I remember when bouncers didn't pay much attention and just let you in regardless or you could persuade them to let you in but now it's just a firm no. I know that they're just doing their job but seriously it's getting beyond the joke now lol :/

Has anyone else noticed this anywhere? I'm not specifically talking about Liverpool but I think it's getting strict here.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopshopQueen)
    I'm actually 18 and the majority of my friends are 17 and got like 4 months or so until they turn 18. But the other day when we went out for an 18th they got knocked back. I remember when bouncers didn't pay much attention and just let you in regardless or you could persuade them to let you in but now it's just a firm no. I know that they're just doing their job but seriously it's getting beyond the joke now lol :/

Has anyone else noticed this anywhere? I'm not specifically talking about Liverpool but I think it's getting strict here.

Thanks
    I've only been clubbing for about two years now, so I may not be a reliable source..but I've always found that bouncers i.d. everyone? Or did you mean your friends got denied despite having fake i.d.?

ReputationRep:
    I think things have been tightened up. We also get turned away from some clubs for being in "too big a group" more often these days even when it's only 5 or 6. Farcical like.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't laws tightened up these last few years?

ReputationRep:
    ' I know that they're just doing their job but seriously it's getting beyond the joke now lol :/'

Why on earth is not letting under18s into a club strictly for 18+ beyond a joke? Moron.

But I do agree it used to be much easier to get in underage.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this as well. The irony being that all of my friends are now of legal drinking age, but two years (when we were 16/17) ago we never had problems getting into clubs, even 'big brand' clubs like Gatecrasher, Oceana etc but now absolutely everyone in the group get's ID'd.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like it's a lot harder to get places without I.D. I used to go to town (liverpool) without any I.D, and if you had perseverance, you could get into places. I remember slipping past bouncers whilst they were distracted to get into korova and baa bars - I can't imagine that happening now.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I think I've been KB'd like 3 times ever in Liverpool, really haven't had any problems (yes I know i'm not a girl like:p: ). For the majority of the time, if you show your provisional etc even if you're underage they don't normally wait to work out if you're 18 or not! It's just a case of whether you've got something to show.

I suspect they will only really make an issue out of it if you're looking suspicious or will potentially be disruptive (had a few too many/with a large group of lads)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've noticed a massive difference from the time I was 17 (5 years ago) and now. Maybe it's because I haven't been trying anymore, but it seems like no major club these days let people in without ID, and there's a lot less tolerance for fake IDs.

But then again, I thought this clamp down happened 3 or 4 years ago. People saying they're 19/20 and are now noticing a difference, maybe it is because we're legal now and don't need to try getting in that it seems so tight.

ReputationRep:
    went to this club once got in the day before wearing these really smart black trainers yet the next night which happened to be halloween they denied me entry because of my shoes yet i had worn them the night before and didn't have a problem getting in, there were people dressed up who were wearing normal every day trainers which i didn't get why they didn't let me in just because of my shoes and there was only two of us and the person i was with was ok to go in, sometimes they don't check id sometimes they don't

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it is. I used to go out every week when I was 17 and only got ID'd 2 or 3 times ever, now I get ID'd basically every time. Also they're a lot stricter on things like if you appear drunk at all they won't let you in - I had this last night and had to go away for half an hour to sober up and come back, I wasn't even that drunk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Yeah, I've noticed a massive difference from the time I was 17 (5 years ago) and now. Maybe it's because I haven't been trying anymore, but it seems like no major club these days let people in without ID, and there's a lot less tolerance for fake IDs.

But then again, I thought this clamp down happened 3 or 4 years ago. People saying they're 19/20 and are now noticing a difference, maybe it is because we're legal now and don't need to try getting in that it seems so tight.
    Hmm that sounds about right. It's happened with everything since I turned 18. ****, booze and clubs, before I was 18 (almost two years ago) it was an obstacle to get around, in order to get ciggies I either had to befriend the shopkeeper or find a place that doesn't bother ID'ing, after 18 it's not an issue, I've always got my provisional with me.

So yeah I guess just because I'm legal now, I'm noticing it more because it isn't an issue as much.

Still frustrating though

"Got ID?"

"Yeah"

ReputationRep:
    Except from Baabar I dont think I've ever been id'd in Liverpool and I'm certainly not 18!

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually 18 and the majority of my friends are 17 and got like 4 months or so until they turn 18.

I know that they're just doing their job but seriously it's getting beyond the joke now lol :/

Without sounding like a killjoy, the laws are there for a reason and yes, in recent years doormen/bouncers have become more strict to deal with crime and underage/illegal/binge drinking.

I grew up in a small, rural town and didn't turn 18 until the August before leaving for Uni so I never really went out when I was underage, just to bars in town, not clubs. I often got ID'd in my first year of Uni (in Liverpool) and have noticed that now clubs in the city are more strict on dress code, ID and size of groups. I presume this is to combat such issues I mentioned in the first paragraph.

I have always been of the opinion that going out is much more fun if you wait 'til you're old enough. Sure, I went to house parties and had fun with friends when I was underage but I know I really enjoyed being a Fresher at Uni because it was all new to me! Call me inexperienced, lame or whatever but I think people aged 15,16,17 shouldn't be getting into clubs...

If you were to get into a club and be caught, you could get into trouble, as could the club (if they are seen to be supplying alcohol to minors). I know in France (I was there over the summer) they are really strict and if you turn up to a club in a group of say, 4 or more, they turn you away. They also take your handbags off you and make you keep them in a store/cloak room. Some clubs even searched/frisked you... At first, it seemed like an intrusion of privacy and irrational to hand your possessions over for the night, but after a while, I got used to it and honestly felt safer and more at ease knowing everyone in the club had been vetted and was "safe". Perhaps these rules could be bought over here... Would that be the Big Brother state going too far? Would it dissuade minors from trying to get into clubs? Who knows... I do think, however, that it isn't "a joke" for bouncers to be doing their job! :yes:

[ALSO, there have been numerous crimes relating to clubs in Liverpool recently, most notably the club in which bouncers were exchaning sexual favours to let young/underage girls into their venues, resulting in the temporary closure of said club. Perhaps bouncers are just more aware of this and want to play by the rules to avoid prosecution or dismissal?]

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays clubs will be shut down at a moments notice if they have underage people in the clubs...things werent as tight a few years ago but the police are so strict now clubs just cant take the chance.

It's usually if you look under 25 they will ID you,things arent like they used to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    [ALSO, there have been numerous crimes relating to clubs in Liverpool recently, most notably the club in which bouncers were exchaning sexual favours to let young/underage girls into their venues, resulting in the closure of said club. Perhaps bouncers are just more aware of this and want to play by the rules to avoid prosecution or dismissal?]
    That was an unsubstantiated accusation and nothing amounted from it except a statement whereby the silly and immature underage girl admitted that she said those things to seem older, and for want of a better word, cooler.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree. Im Manchester, its harder to get in, but what I've really noticed is that they are much more likley to kick you out if they even suspect any rowdy-ness.

ReputationRep:
    The clubs near my college are notoriously easy to enter without ID. I get handed leaflets for them and sometimes I don't even look of college age, let alone 18. When a club got into the news for having a '69p drinks night' on a street near my college, they suddenly toughened on ID as they had to look good in the news. However, once again, now I hear of my friends getting in without showing their ID and they're underage, despite a big blackboard saying 'Please wait to present ID here, you must present ID'. They say there's never a doorman there.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of it is due to the Supermarket's super inflated sense of power over their customers. They were the ones who essentially raised the legal age of buying cigs and now you have to prove you are 7 years over the legal drinking age to buy anything alcoholic. Clubs and such follow suit and tighten up their entry policy.

Of course the stupid thing with arguing anything like this is that to deny that it's not a good thing is equivalent to saying you don't mind underage drinking, which is irritating, although to be fair I remember (back in the good old days) having a quiet drink in a pub when I was 17 and don't see anything wrong with that.

I'm just glad I'm now 21 because it really wouldn't surprise me if either the government or the supermarkets raised the legal drinking age sometime in the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid. Legal age for clubbing in America is 15.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.