Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been told time and time again my nhs student bursary would be around 10000 as I am a single parent to one girl. I have given my notice in on my job in anticipation of starting study next week and now Ive just recieved an award notice telling me Im entitled to just over 6000 a year! That doesnt even covedr my mortgage!non of the awards and allowances are anything near what I was expecting. even the basic award which I thought was just over 6000 has now come back as4490. I cant study, pay my mortgage and bring up a child on 129 a week even with a job it will still be impossible. I am now hoping to god my employers will let me withdraw my notice or Im in big trouble

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for other sources of funding as well, the university might have some hardship funds that you can apply for.
    You can also get a student loan, and healthcare students can often be entitled to some loans that others cant access e.g. career development loan.
    Don't panic, go and talk to the uni advisors first.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't managed to register for the degree rather than the diploma have you? The difference in money sounds about right. Have you checked all your paperwork? I was told by my uni that changing from degree to diploma was easy but your uni may say different. Probably worth making contact with them? :woo:
    Becky

ReputationRep:
    Wish someone gave me £6k.

ReputationRep:
    Have you completed the separate form for the dependants allowance for your daughter? How old is your daughter and is she still in education?

I am also a single parent and claimed a bursary of £826.00 a month last year when my son was still in education, plus child tax credit and child benefit. Now he is nearly 17 and has dropped out of college I can no longer claim for dependants allowance, tax credits and child benefit!
    Hoping I can get additional funding through adult learning fund at uni or I will have to drop out, adding to the already high drop out rate which I really don't want to do because I love the course and have wanted to become a nurse for 25 years!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.