Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Performance and Risk Analyst then a move into Asset Management...is it possible?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If someone takes a position in a firm as a performance analyst (analysing risk and performance of funds), where they sponsor you to do an IMC/CFA followed by a CIPM (Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement - also run by CFA Institute) can this be a good enough launch pad to get into Asset/Investment Management at one point given the qualifications you will have along with the analytical tools..??

ReputationRep:
    It can..but it wont always be.
    1.) You'll be working in performance for 3yrs min and its a role in which you'll have to take a lot of **** and be ridiculously overworked around client reporting times (such as now)
    2.) You'll have to pass CFA levels 1-3 first time if you want to stand out at your own firm - otherwise you'd probably have to apply somewhere else
    3.) Certainly for us, probably elsewhere too performance isn't tied to any one/group of desks - as a result you probably wont get to know any of the fund managers well (you only have to deal with them personally when they think you've ****** up) so with limited networking moving internally is tough

So short answer: yes its possible, but from what I've seen people either start in AM as grads (like I did) or start on the Sell Side and move over when they want a life. I've only seen one person who's moved internally and they were already in a borderline FO role anyway, tied to the desk and had passed CFA 1&2 first time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, from reading that I guess networking will be the crucial aspect of making such a move into AM. Would an MBA at some stage help in this is or would I be throwing money down the drain?

(Original post by BornABull)
    It can..but it wont always be.
    1.) You'll be working in performance for 3yrs min and its a role in which you'll have to take a lot of **** and be ridiculously overworked around client reporting times (such as now)
    2.) You'll have to pass CFA levels 1-3 first time if you want to stand out at your own firm - otherwise you'd probably have to apply somewhere else
    3.) Certainly for us, probably elsewhere too performance isn't tied to any one/group of desks - as a result you probably wont get to know any of the fund managers well (you only have to deal with them personally when they think you've ****** up) so with limited networking moving internally is tough

So short answer: yes its possible, but from what I've seen people either start in AM as grads (like I did) or start on the Sell Side and move over when they want a life. I've only seen one person who's moved internally and they were already in a borderline FO role anyway, tied to the desk and had passed CFA 1&2 first time.

ReputationRep:
    In the US yeah, here nah...not for AM anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornABull)
    In the US yeah, here nah...not for AM anyway
    Thanks...apologies but one more question, if its not so easy moving from performance analyst to AM straight away, is there a go between thats worth going to before AM that would make it an easier transition. i.e. Research or Risk...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about bigger firms but in smaller set up that I know about, Investment Managers were recruited from the Performance and Risk pool relatively frequently. That said, it was usually with >3 years experience. And 3 years doing attributions all day probably wouldn't pass very quickly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Badwa)
    Thanks...apologies but one more question, if its not so easy moving from performance analyst to AM straight away, is there a go between thats worth going to before AM that would make it an easier transition. i.e. Research or Risk...?
    Research would be better, frequently take sell side analysts - good at building models!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.