Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been looking into studying in Sweden for an MSc after my undergrad (possibly with a year in between, depending on financials). I'll most likely be applying to Karolinska (1st choice), Lund, Uppsala, Stockholm and maybe Gothenburg.

Does anyone have any personal experience of studying in Sweden as an international student? How easy is it to meet people etc.? And how much did you spend on average per month?

Also, If anyone has any experience of studying at any of the institutions I've mentioned, I'd be very grateful if you'd share your experience of the university.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I have experience of studying in Scandinavia, but not Sweden. Firstly you're aware that a Master's degree in Scandinavia is, almost always, two years long? I'd go for Uppsala/Lund if I were to study in Sweden, every other university is just very regional (same with Denmark: Copenhagen/Aarhus, Norway: Oslo/Bergen) and unknown outside of the respective countries. Scandinavia is quite expensive, but depends on where you study - Uppsala wil be the more expensive of those listed, followed by Lund, although there are no fees like in the UK (there is a very small registration fee).

ReputationRep:
    I've heard great things about Sweden, particularly LUND. The fantastic thing about studying there is you're not charged any tuition fees (no matter what country you're from)....so their government serves us better than our own do (but we can go on about that forever, let's leave that for another time :p: ).

I've heard that the universities do have housing agencies and they make sure all their students find accommodation and stuff. It is expensive, but seeing as there aren't any tuition fees it means studying there costs just a fraction of what it would here in the UK.

Good luck! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    I have experience of studying in Scandinavia, but not Sweden. Firstly you're aware that a Master's degree in Scandinavia is, almost always, two years long? I'd go for Uppsala/Lund if I were to study in Sweden, every other university is just very regional (same with Denmark: Copenhagen/Aarhus, Norway: Oslo/Bergen) and unknown outside of the respective countries. Scandinavia is quite expensive, but depends on where you study - Uppsala wil be the more expensive of those listed, followed by Lund, although there are no fees like in the UK (there is a very small registration fee).
    I'm aware that overall, those are probably the best two Universities in Sweden, but the Karolinska Institute is very well regarded for medicine/biomedical research world-wide, and that's what I'd be studying (MSc Biomedicine). It's just outside Stockholm in Solna, so I'd imagine it would be pretty expensive, that's why I may need to work for a year.

Thanks for the input though . And out of interest, where did you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    I've heard great things about Sweden, particularly LUND. The fantastic thing about studying there is you're not charged any tuition fees (no matter what country you're from)....so their government serves us better than our own do (but we can go on about that forever, let's leave that for another time :p: ).

I've heard that the universities do have housing agencies and they make sure all their students find accommodation and stuff. It is expensive, but seeing as there aren't any tuition fees it means studying there costs just a fraction of what it would here in the UK.

Good luck! :yy:
    Yeah, that's a bonus I suppose. But my main motivation of going abroad was basically for a new experience, as I've stayed at home for my whole undergrad - the worst decision of my life as yet :p:.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hej, George!

I don't have much to say about this except that I want to do some studying in Sweden too as part of my undergraduate degree in my final year!

ReputationRep:
    SWEDEN!
    Good choice my friend.

I however know very little about masters in Sweden -leaves-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    :bhangra: I study in Sewden, but don't seem to use the site much anymore so might not turn up
    yeah :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    I'm aware that overall, those are probably the best two Universities in Sweden, but the Karolinska Institute is very well regarded for medicine/biomedical research world-wide, and that's what I'd be studying (MSc Biomedicine). It's just outside Stockholm in Solna, so I'd imagine it would be pretty expensive, that's why I may need to work for a year.

Thanks for the input though . And out of interest, where did you study?
    Aarhus Universitet (BA, Denmark with a year at the University of Oslo) and Háskóli Íslands (MA, Iceland). Also, thinking of doing another Master's; probably at Aarhus or Oslo.

Også, snakker du svensk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    Hi, I've been looking into studying in Sweden for an MSc after my undergrad (possibly with a year in between, depending on financials). I'll most likely be applying to Karolinska (1st choice), Lund, Uppsala, Stockholm and maybe Gothenburg.

Does anyone have any personal experience of studying in Sweden as an international student? How easy is it to meet people etc.? And how much did you spend on average per month?

Also, If anyone has any experience of studying at any of the institutions I've mentioned, I'd be very grateful if you'd share your experience of the university.

Thanks.
    Hey, I'm Swedish and have lived/studied (only normal school) both there and England, if you have any questions about the country/people or anything like that feel free to pm me!

ReputationRep:
    sweden is a really good place to study. its cheaer than norway too i think,. Jeg kan ikke snakker svensk, men kan jeg norsk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBbee)
    sweden is a really good place to study. its cheaer than norway too i think,. Jeg kan ikke snakker svensk, men kan jeg norsk
    Hallo. Hvor lære du norsk? Kommer du fra Norge eller Storbritannia? Også hvor og hva studerer du?

ReputationRep:
    Hei, Jeg lært norsk på folkhøgskole i nord norge, fakstisk jeg er forsatt her!, Jeg har bare her 4 mån.. Jeg kommer fra england, men nå jeg har en år i Norge. Jeg vil studerer economics på universite neste år

ReputationRep:
    Hallo. Hvor lære du norsk? Kommer du fra Norge eller Storbritannia? Også hvor og hva studerer du?
    også jeg snakker norsk ikke så bra, så jeg er dårlig på svensk også haha

ReputationRep:
    Hei, Jeg lært norsk på folkhøgskole i nord norge, fakstisk jeg er forsatt her!, Jeg har bare her 4 mån.. Jeg kommer fra england, men nå jeg har en år i Norge. Jeg vil studerer economics på universite neste år
    Vil du studere økonomi i Norge?

ReputationRep:
    å,, kanksje men også je vil studere i ireland på trinity, Kanskje jeg kommer tilbake til norge etterpå og gjør masters

ReputationRep:
    å,, kanksje men også je vil studere i ireland på trinity, Kanskje jeg kommer tilbake til norge etterpå og gjør masters
    Ok, ha det gøy i Irland. Men hvorfor ikke studere i Norge?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, ha det gøy i Irland. Men hvorfor ikke studere i Norge?
    Jeg trenger å tar bergens prøver første men jeg er ikke så bra på norsk, igjen jeg har væert her bare for 4 mån siden. Jeg vil ikke studere i engelsk i Norge. tusen takk

ReputationRep:
    Woah I must have drunk too much...I can't read anything in the last 6 posts. I'm off to bed
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    x
    x
    Guys, I realise that the last couple of posts you made are actually completely harmless chit-chat, but could I please remind you that foreign-language posts without a translation aren't allowed outside the foreign language forums?:erm:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.