Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    yeah :cool:
    Haha, I really stared at that for a few moments wondering when I had written that!

OP, I will respond to your PM, but I don't have time today I'm afraid. So I'll try to do it tomorrow, or maybe tonight after I've met my deadline!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Guys, I realise that the last couple of posts you made are actually completely harmless chit-chat, but could I please remind you that foreign-language posts without a translation aren't allowed outside the foreign language forums?:erm:
    Many linguists would consider English and Norwegian to simply be dialects of Common Germanic, so I guess it depends on how you actually define 'language' . . .

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input everyone . Look forward to your PM Jelkin Dont worry about not having time, I've got a couple of years :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Haha, I really stared at that for a few moments wondering when I had written that!

OP, I will respond to your PM, but I don't have time today I'm afraid. So I'll try to do it tomorrow, or maybe tonight after I've met my deadline!
    hey - not to be rude "listening in" but would you mind copying me your PM, or perhaps posting it on here? I'm thinking about doing a masters somewhere in Europe, perhaps in Sweden, when I finish my English degree in 2011 - I'd really appreciate your thoughts! thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impsmith)
    hey - not to be rude "listening in" but would you mind copying me your PM, or perhaps posting it on here? I'm thinking about doing a masters somewhere in Europe, perhaps in Sweden, when I finish my English degree in 2011 - I'd really appreciate your thoughts! thanks a lot.
    No worries! See below:

It's great here and I really enjoy it! It's been super easy to meet people here because I had three ways of doing so: my halls of residence, my course and my international mentor group (which I imagine many unis would have). The vast majority of people here speak excellent English so the main language problem has been that it's difficult to practise my Swedish! [You will be able to take classes here for free.] I've actually met people from all over the world because of the course being in English, and many of them don't even speak Swedish but have good enough English to read and study in the language!

I don't have a part-time job but I know people who do. Obviously a lot of employers around here would like Swedish speakers, but, for example, I know a girl who works in Ikea who said it would be fine for me to get a job there. [In fact, she works in the one in Copenhagen because it's just across the pond and the exchange rate means she makes quite a lot!] Food and general living expenses here are quite a lot but I'd say the accommodation is overall quite a lot cheaper than in the UK (though the prices vary a LOT so I'd shop around a bit if I were you - price does not always correlate exactly to quality, so there are some really cheap places here that are lovely and I'm jealous!). The standard of accommodation is pretty high, too.

I thought that about proving you have enough money too, but actually I just had to write a letter stating I had enough money and it was fine. So don't worry about that.

Overall I would totally recommend it - it's really great to have a different universty experience (but not too different!) and I really love Sweden. Lund is also a really nice city (though obviously I don't know anything about the others!). Being southern, it's probably the warmest :p: By the way, I don't know if you've checked it out yet, but applying is also pretty easy as they have a central application system (think UCAS). So it's probably worth seeing what happens anyway!

Hope that helped - if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask

Jess
    :bhangra:
    By the way, I did English too and I applied to English literature at Uppsala and Literature, Culture and Media at Lund. If you want to know anything about the course at Lund feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    No worries! See below:

By the way, I did English too and I applied to English literature at Uppsala and Literature, Culture and Media at Lund. If you want to know anything about the course at Lund feel free to ask!
    sorry I didn't get back to you sooner (work was piling up) but that's really really useful. I think I probably do have a few questions though I'd need to think about them and research the course a little more - do you mind if I PM you some time? thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impsmith)
    sorry I didn't get back to you sooner (work was piling up) but that's really really useful. I think I probably do have a few questions though I'd need to think about them and research the course a little more - do you mind if I PM you some time? thanks a lot.
    No problem at all

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you ever been to Karlstad/ know much about it? I'm thinking of going there on an exchange semester next year, they do the courses i need taught in english, and it looks really lovely, but would appreciate an opinion from someone who's actually had experience of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Have any of you ever been to Karlstad/ know much about it? I'm thinking of going there on an exchange semester next year, they do the courses i need taught in english, and it looks really lovely, but would appreciate an opinion from someone who's actually had experience of it

I have one advice to you, dont even bother to read at the schools in smaller cities.

Why? Beacuse they REALLY suck, the teachers often isn't even professors, courses are on a very low level, they only have these universitys beacuse the swedish gorvernment pay the school for every student who passes an exam. And in a small city such as Karlstad you will not have much to do or see.

If you want to study in schools with good quality in Sweden you should focus on Gothenburg University, Lund University, Stockholm school of economics, Karolinska and Stockholm University.

Anyways good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wakanapi)
    I have one advice to you, dont even bother to read at the schools in smaller cities.

Why? Beacuse they REALLY suck, the teachers often isn't even professors, courses are on a very low level, they only have these universitys beacuse the swedish gorvernment pay the school for every student who passes an exam. And in a small city such as Karlstad you will not have much to do or see.

If you want to study in schools with good quality in Sweden you should focus on Gothenburg University, Lund University, Stockholm school of economics, Karolinska and Stockholm University.

Anyways good luck.
    Unfortunately my university only has exchange links with Karlstad uni in Sweden. Out of the exchange partners accross europe that do english speaking courses, Karlstad is the one that has the best courses for me (lingusitics and media related stuff). I'm pretty sure going to live in another country will be pretty exciting wherever i go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Well, I happen to know quite much about Karlstad as I live here Personally I can't wait to move to England in the autumn, but many people coming here love it. It's a beautiful city indeed with Klarälven running through it. Can't say much about the quality of the university, have heard both good and bad opinions.

Just ask if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineK)
    Well, I happen to know quite much about Karlstad as I live here Personally I can't wait to move to England in the autumn, but many people coming here love it. It's a beautiful city indeed with Klarälven running through it. Can't say much about the quality of the university, have heard both good and bad opinions.

Just ask if you have any questions
    Fab, i've put my app in and just waiting to hear from my uni here if i can go or not

Buttt is it really as cold as everyone says in winter?

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid so

Well, it's not Siberia but there are usually at least three month with constantly minus degrees. This winter has been unusually cold, however, with one metre snow since early december (and will probably last some furher weeks). But I lika the snow, so it doesn't bother me at all!

When will you hear if you can go then? And have you ever been in Sweden before?

ReputationRep:
    Brr!! although i snow and the cold sounds kinda fun tbh!
    Not sure when i'll hear, definately by June but hoping sooner than that! No never been to Sweden before but out of the places i could go in Europe it seemed the most different/ interesting and best for my subjects

ReputationRep:
    I've dropped out of uni and am looking to go back. I've exhausted my options in the UK and want to study abroad again. I speak French too and would be prepared to learn Swedish while I study. I'd also need to do a part time job. Is this realistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I've dropped out of uni and am looking to go back. I've exhausted my options in the UK and want to study abroad again. I speak French too and would be prepared to learn Swedish while I study. I'd also need to do a part time job. Is this realistic?
    (under)grad? What would you like to study?

(Original post by KTpie)
    Unfortunately my university only has exchange links with Karlstad uni in Sweden. Out of the exchange partners accross europe that do english speaking courses, Karlstad is the one that has the best courses for me (lingusitics and media related stuff). I'm pretty sure going to live in another country will be pretty exciting wherever i go
    Erasmus? You could still apply by your own.

ReputationRep:
    Well i just heard back from my uni and i've got the place in Sweden next year been emailing a girl who's on the exchange there now and she loves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Well i just heard back from my uni and i've got the place in Sweden next year been emailing a girl who's on the exchange there now and she loves it.
    Congratulations! It's always fun to discover a new country and culture, so I bet you'll enjoy it as well. Are you planning to learn Swedish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineK)
    Congratulations! It's always fun to discover a new country and culture, so I bet you'll enjoy it as well. Are you planning to learn Swedish?
    i know, i'm SOOO excited!!! Everything the girl i've been in contact with over there says about it sounds awesome.
    Definitely learning Swedish, i love learning new languages and i'd hate to go over there all ignorant/ unprepared (although i know like, loads of people there speak English, but still). Gonna do a teach-yourself thing over summer, then my uni does free language classes when i'm here in semester 1 next year

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone you'll come across speak english well, but of course you should learn swedish anyway I'm a linguistic and also love to learn foreign languages. Have you decided were to live and so on already?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.