Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineK)
    I'm sure everyone you'll come across speak english well, but of course you should learn swedish anyway I'm a linguistic and also love to learn foreign languages. Have you decided were to live and so on already?
    Definitely, i do linguistics at uni so it's something that really interests me anyway, and it'd be pretty cool to be able to speak another language that i can actually use when i'm there
    I'd be living in the halls at the uni over there, a girl who's there now has recommended me where to live and where not to live and so on. I think the only thing i'm slightly worried about is the fact that i'm vegetarian and apparently people eat a LOT of fish and meat over there??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    I think the only thing i'm slightly worried about is the fact that i'm vegetarian and apparently people eat a LOT of fish and meat over there??
    The "student scene" in Sweden is fairly understanding of vegetarians so you'll generally always have a dish available on menus where students are likely to turn up. All the fast food joints do vegetarian options and obviously you can eat pizza and so on. As for food at the supermarket, there's all the usual stuff and plenty of the pretend soya/quorn meat in the freezers. The only time you'll be at a significant disadvantage is if a local cooks you up a meal without asking what you do and don't eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    The "student scene" in Sweden is fairly understanding of vegetarians so you'll generally always have a dish available on menus where students are likely to turn up. All the fast food joints do vegetarian options and obviously you can eat pizza and so on. As for food at the supermarket, there's all the usual stuff and plenty of the pretend soya/quorn meat in the freezers. The only time you'll be at a significant disadvantage is if a local cooks you up a meal without asking what you do and don't eat.
    Yay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTpie)
    Definitely, i do linguistics at uni so it's something that really interests me anyway, and it'd be pretty cool to be able to speak another language that i can actually use when i'm there
    I'd be living in the halls at the uni over there, a girl who's there now has recommended me where to live and where not to live and so on. I think the only thing i'm slightly worried about is the fact that i'm vegetarian and apparently people eat a LOT of fish and meat over there??
    Yes, and I guess it would be a quite unusual merit in the UK to know Swedish. Well no need to be worried; as someone wrote, vegetarian food is often served. But yes, I guess people do eat a lot of meat here (even though I personally don't like it much either). Where in the UK do you live btw?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been to Uppsala? How's the city?
    Is English widely spoken over there?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and I guess it would be a quite unusual merit in the UK to know Swedish. Well no need to be worried; as someone wrote, vegetarian food is often served. But yes, I guess people do eat a lot of meat here (even though I personally don't like it much either). Where in the UK do you live btw?
    Just saw your signature.
    I just graduated from Durham!!

ReputationRep:
    What a coincidence, which college? And is Durham as lovely as it seems?

I've just been in Uppsala once, but have some friends studying there. The city is beautiful and lively city, a true "studentcity". My friends absolutely love it there It's not long to Stockholm, which I suppose is a plus.

And yes, I venture to say that everyone you'll come across speak english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    Has anyone been to Uppsala? How's the city?
    Is English widely spoken over there?
    I live in Stockholm which is like an hour away from Uppsala.
    I have a few friends up there and they love it. It is a great city and there are tons of students up there.
    Also, it's quite a historical city I believe, if you're into that kind of thing.

Just as the previous person wrote, everyone in Sweden can speak English, so don't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    What a coincidence, which college? And is Durham as lovely as it seems?

I've just been in Uppsala once, but have some friends studying there. The city is beautiful and lively city, a true "studentcity". My friends absolutely love it there It's not long to Stockholm, which I suppose is a plus.

And yes, I venture to say that everyone you'll come across speak english
    Definitely. It's small and quaint, just nice!!

I have been to Stockholm, Gothenburg and Lund, but I haven't been to Uppsala. I hope it's a nice city.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. It's small and quaint, just nice!!

I have been to Stockholm, Gothenburg and Lund, but I haven't been to Uppsala. I hope it's a nice city.
    Uppsala's a lovely place. In terms of what it's like to be a non-Swedish speaking student here it's worth bearing in mind that everyone does not speak English, contrary to popular opinion. Whether you'll like it here or not as a student is dependent on a number of factors (as it is with anywhere), but I have to say I haven't at all enjoyed the "student experience" here, which I've found to be both lonely and isolationist and several of my coursemates broadly agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
    Uppsala's a lovely place. In terms of what it's like to be a non-Swedish speaking student here it's worth bearing in mind that everyone does not speak English, contrary to popular opinion. Whether you'll like it here or not as a student is dependent on a number of factors (as it is with anywhere), but I have to say I haven't at all enjoyed the "student experience" here, which I've found to be both lonely and isolationist and several of my coursemates broadly agree.
    No kidding? Then I have to change my university to KTH.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Where do I need to register for housing in Uppsala?
    I heard there is a need to accumulate 'queue days'.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studentstaden.se/
    Its in Swedish though... Let me know if you need any help.
    when you start your course in Uppsala you also need to register with a nation. There isnt really a english eqv. I guess you could say they are bit like Oxbridge colleges although most ppl dont live there. The nations basically have student socities, a bar, parties, balls etc. You choose how involved you want to become. Some ppl neve go to their nation. Others spend alot of time there and they might work in the bar, take part in student socities etc. Most nation offer accomodation, and some rooms are reserved for new Uppsala students, so its worth to look into. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freemover)
    http://www.studentstaden.se/
    Its in Swedish though... Let me know if you need any help.
    when you start your course in Uppsala you also need to register with a nation. There isnt really a english eqv. I guess you could say they are bit like Oxbridge colleges although most ppl dont live there. The nations basically have student socities, a bar, parties, balls etc. You choose how involved you want to become. Some ppl neve go to their nation. Others spend alot of time there and they might work in the bar, take part in student socities etc. Most nation offer accomodation, and some rooms are reserved for new Uppsala students, so its worth to look into. good luck!
    Thanks.
    I tried to register before, but couldn't proceed as it's written in Swedish, even though I clicked for the English version. Would appreciate if you could guide me through , thanks.

So I do have to research on which nation I want to join? Which do you recommend?

p/s: Funny!! I just graduated from the place where you got your BA!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    About meat in Sweden. I was told by students who'd studied in Sweden that I should prepare myself for vegatable lunches since meat seems to be very expensive. So, to the vegeterian ... you're going to the right place it seems.

I'm doing an erasmus exchange at Uni of Stockholm next semester, can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    I tried to register before, but couldn't proceed as it's written in Swedish, even though I clicked for the English version. Would appreciate if you could guide me through , thanks.

So I do have to research on which nation I want to join? Which do you recommend?

p/s: Funny!! I just graduated from the place where you got your BA!! :rolleyes:
    hi! About the nations, its really hard to recommend one. Norland is the biggest and they have alot of students rooms so that might be good if you're looking for accomodation. Snerkes has got a good night club and entry is cheaper if you're a member. If you're after a smaller nation, Gotland or Västgöta might be a good choice. Uplands is friendly and more of pub-nation ( rather than a club nation). Stockholm and Göteborg have a bit of a rah reputation but the lunch at Stockholm is very good. Can't really recommend one. Go to Uppsala Unis homepage and read abit about them ( most nations have international officers who can answer any questions you might have) PM me if you would like me to guide you through the webpage for accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I've found the nations in Uppsala to be a complete let down. Luckily, if you decide that the nations are not for you, the requirement to pay to join the student union (which is also a waste of space) and a nation will no longer be in place from September in the new academic year. So if you don't think they look worth the bother don't waste your money on it (I've spent 900sek on membership fees this academic year alone).

Registering for Studentstadens accommodation is reasonably straightforward - you should be able to muddle your way through without any knowledge of Swedish at all.

ReputationRep:
    For those who have been through the application process, can I request for detailed feedback on my application?

Status of my application:
    1st choice: in process;
    2nd choice: specific requirements not fulfilled;
    3rd choice: specific requirements not fulfilled;
    4th choice: DA-999.

I would prefer my 2nd choice than my 4th choice, but I need to know which part of the specific requirements that I didn't fulfilled.

ReputationRep:
    Uppsala really can be a very lonely place. Generally people live in long corridors where it's almost expected to eat your dinner in your room. If you're in any way used to a university with a vibrant athmosphere you'll feel very different here as it's a fairly conservative place. Almost everyone I have bumped into has spoken very good English and attempts I have made to speak Swedish were not appreciated. The scene is fairly static as students seem to go to the same nations all the time (Snerikes Tuesdays, Stockholms Thursdays, Varmlands Fridays and maybe V-Dala on Saturdays). I've found most of the departments I've had to deal with as an Erasmus student either inept or unuseful.

ReputationRep:
    For those who have been through the application process, can I request for detailed feedback on my application?

Status of my application:
    1st choice: in process;
    2nd choice: specific requirements not fulfilled;
    3rd choice: specific requirements not fulfilled;
    4th choice: DA-999.

I would prefer my 2nd choice than my 4th choice, but I need to know which part of the specific requirements that I didn't fulfilled.
    Anyone?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.