Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how easy it would be for me to move to the USA in a few years?
    I know absolutely nothing about what I'd need to do other than needing a visa or a Greencard thing.
    But by the time I want to get there I'll have my Bachelor's degree. I don't have any family there, other than like some distant relative from my great-great-grandfather. And I'd be looking at moving to Tennessee if that makes any difference.

So yeah, what do I need to do/get/buy, and how long would it take

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocki-i)
    Does anyone know how hard it would be for me to move to the USA in a few years?
    Fixed.

Seriously, you have to provide a little more info on where you're from, what are you hoping to major in? Either way, it's very difficult bar the usual marriage route.

ReputationRep:
    Its a very complicated process, from what i have learned you need a job already sorted at the other end, then the position has to be something that cannot be filled by a US citizen, something they should really employ in the UK!
    Degree will really help but its not quite a guranteed process!
    May i ask why Tennessee? You into Dolly Parton or something
    Personally i have family in Los Angeles who moved some 20 years ago :0 was far easier then!

ReputationRep:
    http://tinyurl.com/yhrk9w4

ReputationRep:
    TENNESSEE? can i come with? i've been looking into this as well haha..

i think if you wanted to make the states your permanent residence you'd need a green card. a visa, as in a touristy one, would only allow you to stay there for 3 months - maybe 6 at most if you can prove why a 3 month visa wouldn't be enough.
    what would you want to do when you get there? if you can prove you have a trade or a job offer which can bring something to the country then you can obtain working visas/green card but it's pretty hard i think.. i only say this because recently i've been looking into it as well. the only way i can find round it is if i attend college when i go there i'd love to do a graduate course and have looked into colleges in nashville, etccc. also considered other places of course.

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere around the world there coming to America!

ReputationRep:
    How easy it will be?

It won't be.

It's hard. Damn hard.

Getting there on a tourist visa and then trying to get a job when you're there just won't cut it.

Basically, as someone with no ties to the country, you have two options available to you:

1) Marry an American.

2) Get a job with a company who will sponsor a work visa (H1B) for you. This is only available for speciality occupations such as IT, teaching, law/legal services, engineering, banking, accounting and so on so forth.

Certain occupations would require you pass a state examination before working in them, such as teaching or working as a lawyer.

The H1B usually lasts for six years initially. It is possible to get sponsored Green Cards, giving you a permanent right to live and work in the USA, but these are harder to come by and the process takes ages. That's why the H1B is the usual route into the USA.

You MUST get the job first. It will not work any other way.

H1B jobs are advertised on special websites. You have to pay to access them. You will only find official H1B sponsored jobs on these sites.

This is an example of one of them...

http://www.h1base.com/

I would not advise you to attempt to get there any other way then going through the official channel. If you go to the USA on a tourist visa, and then try to get work, you could find yourself being asked to leave the country and told not to come back. They are tough on people trying to bend the rules.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell me you've found a girl that lives in some log cabin in the arse end of nowhere(Tennessee - seriously?) that you've given your heart to over Myspace.

ReputationRep:
    My grandparents waited 16 years for their Greencard.
    It's hard to get in unless you have pretty good skills they want or marry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    How easy it will be?

It won't be.

It's hard. Damn hard.

Getting there on a tourist visa and then trying to get a job when you're there just won't cut it.

Basically, as someone with no ties to the country, you have two options available to you:

1) Marry an American.

2) Get a job with a company who will sponsor a work visa (H1B) for you. This is only available for speciality occupations such as IT, teaching, law/legal services, engineering, banking, accounting and so on so forth.

Certain occupations would require you pass a state examination before working in them, such as teaching or working as a lawyer.

The H1B usually lasts for six years initially. It is possible to get sponsored Green Cards, giving you a permanent right to live and work in the USA, but these are harder to come by and the process takes ages. That's why the H1B is the usual route into the USA.

You MUST get the job first. It will not work any other way.

H1B jobs are advertised on special websites. You have to pay to access them. You will only find official H1B sponsored jobs on these sites.

This is an example of one of them...

http://www.h1base.com/

I would not advise you to attempt to get there any other way then going through the official channel. If you go to the USA on a tourist visa, and then try to get work, you could find yourself being asked to leave the country and told not to come back. They are tough on people trying to bend the rules.
    That was what I was planning on doing, looking for a job in my final year of uni, so I can move straight away. I'm doing a Biomedicine degree but not even sure what I want to do with it yet What kind of speciality occupation can I do with it? Except sales, God please not sales.
    But if I spend a whole year looking for someone to give me a job, then I'm likely to get one, right? Even with only one years work experience. hmm
    How long does the Green Card usually take to process? 1 year, 2 years, 5?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.