Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Extenuating Circumstance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys basically I've had a really bad two days. Ive had exams and despite me preparing well for them they went horribly wrong. On both nights at 3/4 am in the morning the tenants in the flat above have been playing loud music (btw im not one of those uptight people that complains about a little noise) I mean loud enough that my ceiling vibrates. I couldnt sleep the night before both exams due to this and therfore it affected my performance A LOT. I have complained over the term and called the security officer on many occasions but the situation hasnt improved. do you think i can appeal to resit the exams?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it but ask your examination or departmental office.

When they refer to extenuating circumstances, I think they mean serious illness and/or deaths of family members. But i could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Shish, the terms they usually set for mitigating circumstances is unexpected illness and bereavement or some other serious family/personal matter that can be backed up with documental proof. Not being able to sleep because of housemates just won't cut it, if you really want another go you'll either have to lie, or pay for the resits later on in the year (assuming you do as badly as you think you did).

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my tutor and he said to file the ecf form, I was really dizzy and couldnt concentrate in my exams, this is something which is beyond my control and I did try and sort it out on several occasions, feels really unfair, im gonna file it anyway I can get proof from the security officer and the accomodation that this has been happening from the flat above, hopefully...

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from, but generally, any medical condition, whether it's dizziness or a broken leg, your school office will want a medical certificate. I don't see it as a valid excuse tbh; plenty of people cope without sleep.

For example, is there any reason you haven't been to see the doctor and see if you can be prescribed some sleeping pills? Some ear plugs, Horlicks, an early night and a caffeine drink in the morning is usually enough to overcome such issues.

If the music is so loud that it's disrupting your sleep then there's a pretty standard procedure: you ask them to turn it down, and if they don't, you call security or the Police and bring along an environmental officer with a decibalometer to measure the intensity, which can be used against them.

But hey-ho, it's a tad late for that advice now. Submit the ECF with as much detail as possible and hope for the best.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.