Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lonely at University - How often do people hang out with their university friends? watch

Hmm. It's the middle of exam period for us all right now so it makes sense that people aren't really in the mood for chilling and hanging out together. However that's not the issue, it's more this sense of dependancy on my mates and needing to see them instead of working on my essay/revising.

It's just weird as hell. Before I started university I would spend most of my time in chatrooms, meeting up with a friend like once per month or two. (Gap Year - Kind of isolated... Always loner anyhow)

Now that I've discovered friends that I like to hang out with at univeristy, I can't seem to get enough of being with them! I know I get a little irritable if I spend too long without "me" time, but if I was able to relax in the same room with them, I'd probably be there for ages. This is obvious from the fact that I can sometimes stay up till 5am in the morning just chatting on msn messenger, which sometime gives off the impression that I'm interested in the other person. I am! But I do this with other friends as well.

Hmm... I'm not sure what was the point of writing all that. But I just wanted to know whether others were 'desperate' to see their friends? And how often you'd hang out together? It's been like 3-4 days since I last talked to someone properly. (University tends to have a weird sense of time)

ReputationRep:
    Uni is overrated. Seriously, I always alone now

ReputationRep:
    I hang out with the ones i live with quite a lot, those from course less so - in fact almost kind of don't see them outside after lecture hours.

I know what you mean about feeling bored and going to the kitchen/common room area but the only reason you do it more often at uni is because it's so easy and convenient. It's just a matter of walking a couple of steps whereas at home you probably need to drive.

Desperate isn't the word though, it's just that you're bored and lazy. If you're mates were a good few minutes away then you'd probably still be doing what you'd do normally :P

ReputationRep:
    I see my mates every day probably, go out Monday and Wednesday and sometimes at the weekend.

Like tonight i just went over to another block, had some pizza and watched a film.

Sounds like your mates are boring. Maybe you can take control and organise things?

ReputationRep:
    welcome to my world! hehe. Tonight i was thinking exactly the same!!
    I am on my own at the moment and its saturday night.. still not back to uni becouse i don't have exams in january. however i know excatly what you mean...i even posted a similiar thread but for some reason it hasn't been published :/.
    Before i even enjoyed having a quite time on my own ,
    but recently i started to enjoying going out more..i guess becouse i have so much free time..but still ..it has been so hard to just stay alone for too long, without the need to meet up with soemone or talk to them online. Crazy isn't it? hehe..
    hopefully we'll find the balance between socailising and spending time on our own to do the things we need to do ( like studying :P ).

ReputationRep:
    I was just like you in my first year, if I went a night without spending time with a friend I'd feel like I was going insane. This year though, now I'm not in halls, and work has upped the ante... it is a proper exciting event if I DO spend time with a friend.... and you get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    I sit around chatting with my housemates everyday. If I hadn't talked to anyone properly in three or four days, I'd be going a bit round the bend.

ReputationRep:
    Everyday for ages. I cant wait to see them.

ReputationRep:
    Every day

ReputationRep:
    No, I hate being around other people...

ReputationRep:
    Every day but only during and between lectures. I live at home and I'm in a group of people who also live at home(not close to each other).

Get's a bit annoying...I kind of feel like I have to hang with them instead of meeting other people in my course tbh.

Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    I was just like you in my first year, if I went a night without spending time with a friend I'd feel like I was going insane. This year though, now I'm not in halls, and work has upped the ante... it is a proper exciting event if I DO spend time with a friend.... and you get used to it.
    Oh no! Is that what I have to look forward too? Granted, I didn't come here to hang out but still. -_-

To answer the OP, I usually see all the members of my little group of friends everyday. We all share the same kitchen though.

Why do people place such great importance on social interaction? There's tons of stuff you can do alone- study, watch films, read, go to the gym, etc. Uni is only temporary- it is an annoying little stepping stone between school and a graduate job.

ReputationRep:
    Zilch. As is the curse of being a second year transfer student living off campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmiPark)
    No, I hate being around other people...
    Oh my god, me too. If I go a single day without alone time I go crazy. Lord knows how i'm going to cope with uni next year. Few people are better at being on their own than me Does not bode well...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see my uni friends outside of uni so there you go now you can feel better lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squelsh)
    Oh my god, me too. If I go a single day without alone time I go crazy. Lord knows how i'm going to cope with uni next year. Few people are better at being on their own than me Does not bode well...
    Yeh, I need alot of me time lol...before I did it because I liked it, but now I'm so used to it, I hate being around other people, especially strangers, it's like suddenly everything they do irritates me. I can spend tons of time with other people but then I need to hibernate lol...I'm not at Uni. yet- college =)

ReputationRep:
    How often? At least everyday for those that live in my hall.
    Those on my course everyday I have lectures so mon-fri and the odd night out.

Tend to go out 1/2 times a week proper and then another few in the union/watching a movie.
    I get fed up and start roaming around for someone to talk to withing about an hour of being alone unless I have a deadline/movie. Thank god my corridor is so sociable!

Not really used MSN since I got here as a result...

ReputationRep:
    I see my housemates every day, obviously, because they're there when I wake up and when I go to bed. If I'm not at home I'm on campus with my friends, and if I'm not on campus I'll be at a society event/volunteering/at work. I am always with people, and if I'm alone I tend to be texting my boyfriend and friends. I get enough alone time when I'm asleep!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.