Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lonely at University - How often do people hang out with their university friends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    nigh-on constantly.

ReputationRep:
    my first year i remember spending alot of time with friends but also alot of time in my room watching endless amounts of iplayer crap.
    now im a 2nd year and live in a house i dont remember the last time i spent the evening in my room alone.. we are always talking and spending endless hours in the kitchen/living room
    my coursemates i see alot of but my houseamtes never see anyone on their course, i think im just more sociable than them, i tend to always spend time with two girls we go to lectures together and the library and have lunch togetehr.

first year is kinda weird.. 2nd year is the year to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    Go through a list of your university's societies and join something that interests you. I was a bit sceptical at first but I a semester on and all is good :-). I find it hard to get alone time now :s.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do people place such great importance on social interaction? There's tons of stuff you can do alone- study, watch films, read, go to the gym, etc. Uni is only temporary- it is an annoying little stepping stone between school and a graduate job.
    Yeah... Graduate Job doesn't sound that much more interesting in terms of life prospect. Sure, I could read/watch entertainment... But it serves little purpose when I've got nobody to share my thoughts with.

ReputationRep:
    Best way to combat this problem is to have lots of different groups of friends. I've got 5 societies worth and then my coursemates and housemates (who are the same people) so i basically see someone different every day. It's enjoyable and makes me seem not needy if i want to hang out with friends for a week or something!

ReputationRep:
    I think i put too much emphasis on hanging out with my hall mates which has back fired on me now that i have fallen out with them. Luckily around this time last year in my first year i got really depressed and bored and made a huge effort in talking to more people and i joined a sports team. So I still have a few connections here and there but i really wish i had made more of an effort really. This place is tiny however so it wouldn have been hard anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i usualy see my friends (3 of them who are really close) about 6 times a week doing various activities from aeroball to games to films to hanging out to walking.

The other friends who i am not so close to, usually about 1-2 times a week.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.