Turn on thread page Beta

Lonely at University - How often do people hang out with their university friends? watch

ReputationRep:
    Go through a list of your university's societies and join something that interests you. I was a bit sceptical at first but I a semester on and all is good :-). I find it hard to get alone time now :s.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Why do people place such great importance on social interaction? There's tons of stuff you can do alone- study, watch films, read, go to the gym, etc. Uni is only temporary- it is an annoying little stepping stone between school and a graduate job.
    Yeah... Graduate Job doesn't sound that much more interesting in terms of life prospect. Sure, I could read/watch entertainment... But it serves little purpose when I've got nobody to share my thoughts with.

ReputationRep:
    Best way to combat this problem is to have lots of different groups of friends. I've got 5 societies worth and then my coursemates and housemates (who are the same people) so i basically see someone different every day. It's enjoyable and makes me seem not needy if i want to hang out with friends for a week or something!

ReputationRep:
    I think i put too much emphasis on hanging out with my hall mates which has back fired on me now that i have fallen out with them. Luckily around this time last year in my first year i got really depressed and bored and made a huge effort in talking to more people and i joined a sports team. So I still have a few connections here and there but i really wish i had made more of an effort really. This place is tiny however so it wouldn have been hard anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i usualy see my friends (3 of them who are really close) about 6 times a week doing various activities from aeroball to games to films to hanging out to walking.

The other friends who i am not so close to, usually about 1-2 times a week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.